air cooled hood duct bends?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluealein56

Misderected Hostilty
Reaction score
im about to purchase an air cooled hood from htg and after measuring the closet i realized its gonna be a tight fit with the width. it seems im gonna have to have 90 degree bends in the duct at the point where the ducting meets the vent. i plan to buy the 6 inch high output fan from them as well and pull through a carbon filter. my question is well these 90 degree bends greatly affect my airlow and ability to cool and extract smelly air in the room?

hello...

Check out my post in this thread:

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42665

Then come back and ask any questions you may have... As you'll be able to see, I'm going through two curves in my ventilation and my fan handles it like a champ... I do think the cool tube style of reflector makes a big difference, especially in a tight grow space like my closet. Is the air cooled hood from HTG a cool tube? I used to run a 600w HPS in a more conventional mid sized air cooled hood in the same closet and it built up a lot more heat within the hood which made it more difficult to control. You might look around at some of the cool tubes... They also make them with reflectors and I bought one that is a 6" cool tube built into a more standard style of reflector and it works great. I found this one... I don't try to sell these things but this is the only place I could find this style of reflector:

hXXp://texashydroponics.com/shop/product.php?productid=2790&cat=55&page=1

Peace!:cool:

bluealein56 said:
im about to purchase an air cooled hood from htg and after measuring the closet i realized its gonna be a tight fit with the width. it seems im gonna have to have 90 degree bends in the duct at the point where the ducting meets the vent. i plan to buy the 6 inch high output fan from them as well and pull through a carbon filter. my question is well these 90 degree bends greatly affect my airlow and ability to cool and extract smelly air in the room?

Listen do not buy the grow bright fan they sell. They are a good fan but are pretty noisy. For the same money I can point you in the direction of a place that sells Can Fans for about 10 bucks more. They are extremely quiet. I can not even hear my two 8" 737 cfm fans kick on downstairs.

BuddyLuv said:
Listen do not buy the grow bright fan they sell. They are a good fan but are pretty noisy. For the same money I can point you in the direction of a place that sells Can Fans for about 10 bucks more. They are extremely quiet. I can not even hear my two 8" 737 cfm fans kick on downstairs.

Buddy's right... a quality fan is very quiet... But I've found it's the sound of all the air rushing through the duct at 630cfm that sounds a bit like a freight train! :eek: I'm contemplating getting some duct insulation for my 6" duct in my closet to quiet things down a bit. I don't hear my fan up in the attic at all but there is the steady *-R-U-S-H->* of air that you can hear if you're in the hall near my bedroom which isn't much of an issue. I only run my fan full from 7pm til 7am while the lights are on pulling air off my cool tubes... I use a Speedster dimmer and dial back to around 30% power on the fan during the dark cycle, just enough to keep pulling air through the filter so odor cannot build up.

Peace! :cool:

A hard sided duct elbow is more efficient than a soft side duct, would help reduce the noise and duct insulation really cuts down on the noise and heat.

On any hard bend in a Venting or cooling system, I use an adjustable 90degree fitting.
You can get these at any home depot for about 6-8 bucks. I actually use small self tapping screws to mount the elbows onto the flange of the Light hoods for secure mounting. Then a little Silver high heat tape to seal any gaps in the elbow.
By doing this, all your actuall ducting runs will all be straight. Any curves, use elbows.

Here is a link showing what I am talking about. This is just an example tho, as I said, Home Depot is where to get them cheaply.

hXXp://www.hardwareandtools.com/invt/u693978

Latest posts

Back