Amsterdam

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Il Stugots

Reaction score
Its official. I'm headed off to Amsterdam this July!:woohoo: I can't wait. Me and my buds have been talking for years about going and now its finally going to happen. I totally didn't expect to go anytime soon. Staying for 10 days in the end of July. Has anyone else been there? Maybe you could share some tips, maybe the best coffee shop to go to.

I've been, you will have a blast.

Just remember you can get high anytime, at least take one day and go to the Anne Frank House and there is a really sweet Van Gogh museum there as well. They are worth the time away from the shops. Also, check out one of the absinthe bars....WILD TIME!!!!

Watch out. Lot of people on hard drugs looking to get money quick. Last time I went was a long time ago. I was walking down a street off Rembrantplanck and got mugged by five black guys. One of them pulled a knife. I did fight my way out of it but ended up in hospital with multiple broken bones in the arm and wrist.

That goes the same in any city leafminer, not just Amsertdam. If you are a foreigner and you go wandering down a dark alley at night in a bad neighborhood, you are likely to get jumped in ANY country. You can't say that Amsterdam is dangerous or violent based on your one incident.

I will however agree with you that if you go out in the Red Light District at night you don't go alone. You can't walk mor ethan 20 feet at night without getting offered other drugs. My first night there I walked about 100 feet into the Red Light District with my girlfriend, and we were offered X, Acid, Shrooms, Heroin, Coke, and Crack offered to us within 5 minutes of walking around. It is obvious to the dealers who the tourists are, but if you don't walk around alone and be careful where you go at night, you will be fine...just like any other city. And in my experience whenever someone walked by and offered us something if I said no or ignored him, that was it. He didn't chase me arond.

It wasn't a dark alley, it was a well lit street just off the main square with plenty of shops. I've worked and lived in over 30 countries including places that tourists never go to - and been in many, many dives - without problems.
At the time, I was in possession of a WW2 Mills bomb (grenade) that my dad brought back from the war, and I was very, very close to going back there and using it!
There is one other place that I would consider as dangerous as Amsterdam: Miami.

Loved Amsterdam. I went with two girlfriends about 10 years ago (feels like yesterday). One thing I had a great time at was something called Boom Chicago. Don't know if it is still around, but it was an comedy act from as you probably guessed...Chicago.

Another thing, I don't know where you are staying, but we stayed in a little apartment that was right on a canal and in the middle of everything. Way cheaper than staying in a hotel and way nicer than staying in a hostel.

Hi,

You and your friends are gonna have a BLAST! Despite Leafminer's nightmare it's a safe city to explore and visit. I lived in the Amsterdam Centrum area from '87 til '91 and I was never robbed or the victim of violent crime but just like any large city you have to keep your street smarts in check.

First thing... don't bother learning Dutch! In addition to having sounds virtually impossible for an American tongue to learn in a short time Dutch spelling and grammar have entirely different pronunciation rules. It's great to learn a few words and phrases to show respect but Amsterdam is one of the easiest destinations for English speakers to visit in Europe. The vast majority of people speak perfect English albeit more of a British style than American. Many of the older generations don't speak great English but they know enough to do basic business. If you don't have your hotel plans nailed down do it sooner than later if you want to have any selection or save any money. Maybe with the current economic slump there will be plenty to choose from but usually it's not the case and they keep pretty booked up long in advance.

If you're staying in the Centrum area - the center of the city which fans out in canal rings from the central train station - you can walk just about anywhere you'd like to go but public transportation is easy and very convenient with trams that you can hop on and be anywhere you'd like to go for a very reasonable fare. You can buy a strip of tram tickets called a Strippenkaart when you step out of the train station upon arrival at the GVB office which is in a small building right in front of the station. Pick up a transit map while you're there...

There are fewer coffee shops than there used to be due to a trend of cracking down on those who don't follow the rules. The ones that get in trouble don't get to have their license to sell mj renewed and they are shuttered. :eek: Not to worry though... there are still hundreds to choose from and you'll have to sample around to find what style of coffee shop suits your style. I have a few faves... The Greenhouse has many locations and always top shelf goods. My favorite location is the Greenhouse out on Tolstraat if you'd like to take a tram ride out of the center and for that matter there's a great one called Trinity that's more frequented by locals just outside of the center. A couple more worth going to are De Rokerij (pronounced De Rokeray cuz ij makes and 'ay' sound in Dutch), The Grey Area ran by a couple of American expats which is very small and crowded but usually has great bud, and I'd have to throw in Dampkring as well for their quality.

Now for a recent curve ball I thought would NEVER happen... last year they banned indoor tobacco smoking in Amsterdam! Wow... as much as the Europeans love their tobacco I never thought they'd enact such laws. Never say never... I'm not a tobacco smoker and when I go to Europe it's one of the most unpleasant parts of going to restaurants and bars because a larger segment of the population seems to smoke and all businesses were always thick with tobacco smoke. I have heard that some of the coffee shops are turning a blind eye to tobacco smoke... if they don't "see" you smoke tobacco they don't do anything but how long will that last? Having said that, the coffee shops are really down in business due to this new law. As many of you know those wacky Europeans like their weed with tobacco and now it's a no no and people are buying weed and leaving to smoke it at home or their hotel where they can combine it into spliffs with tobacco. I can't stand tobacco in my bud... to each their own though... I remember once sitting in a coffee shop with an American pal who came over to visit when I lived there. He was so excited... he had just bought a couple grams of the awesome sativa Kali Mist and a gram of temple ball hash. As he put a lighter's flame to the ball to soften the hash and then combine it all together for a humongous joint we noticed there was a table of Brits watching our every move. They couldn't believe that we were not only rolling it all into one big joint but we were going to smoke this lovely combination straight without any tobacco... As we proceeded to smoke our 20 minute joint they watched us hit it and cough and I really think they were waiting for us to pass out. At one point my buddy offered them a hit and one of them said: "Oh GOD... Crikey no!"

Any-hoo... in addition to all the bud you could ever desire Amsterdam is such a fun city to visit, especially in the summer. The architecture and canals have so much history. Ah... lazying in a street cafe table with a nice Dutch or Belgian beer and a fatty... And there's a lot more to do than smoke bud. Somebody mentioned the Van Gogh Museum and it's the place if you're a fan of this prolific impressionist like I am. If you still want more Van Gogh after that, there's a great little museum called the Kroller Muller Museum in a national park of all places that is about an hour's train ride from central station. It's a great day trip and would be very nice to go to in the summer. There are white bicycles all over this park that anyone can use too. The beach isn't far and can be a fun outing or even a trip out of the city to see some of Holland is a good time. Just about every town of any size has sights as well as coffeeshops to explore.

Have a great time and stick to bud and hash if you want to stay out of trouble. Only buy your weed in the shops as the dudes who are peddling hard drugs or anything for that matter are very shady and to be ignored. As long as you mind your p's and q's and keep your wits about you you'll have a great time.

Peace!

Dirtyolsouth has a lot of good advice. Especially about not trying to speak Dutch. Why should you try to butcher their language when they speak English so fluently. It is kind of insulting to the Dutch.

And plan your trips but don't even think about getting a car. OH GOD THE HORROR, my friend insisted and to this day I wake up with nightmares. Get a couple of bikes, walk, or use public transit.

Loved Dampkring, especially since our little apartment was very close.

One more piece of advice (take it or leave it)...Amsterdam can get out of control QUICKLY. I don't know how else to say it. I did more stupid %&*# in Amsterdam that in my whole life and that is saying alot. And I still did better than my two friends. I came back with my tongue pierced and no lugage except one pair of pants and my passport. My friend came back with NO EYEBROWS. She never told us what happened. We found her like that after she went missing for about 10 hours. Good Times!!

I haved traveled around the Netherlands and Germany for years and as Dirtyolsouth said the majority of people speak english ( many better than Americans ) I have found learning to say "please, Thank you, Your'e welcome, and Excuse me" is much appreciated by the hosts of any establishment. It shows your'e at least willing to try.
Goodluck, have fun and take lots of pics.

cubby said:
I haved traveled around the Netherlands and Germany for years and as Dirtyolsouth said the majority of people speak english ( many better than Americans ) I have found learning to say "please, Thank you, Your'e welcome, and Excuse me" is much appreciated by the hosts of any establishment. It shows your'e at least willing to try.
R.E.S.P.E.C.T.

Wise words Cubby! It's all about respect... I'd encourage people to learn at least the following in the language of the country they are visiting:

1. Hello Sir / Hello Ma'am / Hello Miss

2. How are you today?

3. Excuse me, do you speak English? My (Dutch, German, French etc.) is not very good.

If you learn just this much it will open doors and minds like you wouldn't believe. It goes back to what I said in my original post... learning enough words and phrases of the local language to show respect as well as help you in a pinch. This is the case where ever you go.

I concur with Yoga on keeping it together in the 'dam... I had a couple of buddies who visited once who ate entirely too many silly mushrooms!! They saw them for sale at a 'smart shop' and thought it would be a good idea to take shrooms and visit the Van Gogh Museum... It sounds like a good plan until the shrooms kick in a bit too much and every brush stroke pulsates and there's 17,893 brush strokes on the canvas!!! After they realized they could no longer control their reactions and laughter and everyone was staring at them they wisely got out of there before someone called security to check them out... Then they got lost, paranoid and I had to go find them as they had taken a train to Haarlem, a small town on the outskirts somehow... Those wacky Americans! Nothing like being 1/2 way around the world and out of your element and then deciding to take shrooms just to top it all off!

Geeez... now you have me wanting to go again! I may have to plan a fall trip to Europe. The Euro is much weaker since I last went and another thing that makes it a good time is we actually have a president that the rest of the world admires... Times were understandably a bit grim for American visitors to Europe when GW Bush was the face of the nation... What a difference a few months makes!:p

Happy Travels....

cubby said:

Cubby, that's good advice regardless of where you travel. People appreciate your trying.

Hey maybe you will run into me at the Greenhouse Coffeeshop by the redlight district. My fiance and I will be staying right next door as GH has apartments available. I have been there on several occasions and I suggest checking out all of the museums. Now I must say that the best mj that I had while in Amsterdam was what I brought with me now that could be due to the fact that I was there during the HTCC and it's just a free for all during that time.

Take Care and Peace
Marco

Yoga said:
Loved Amsterdam. I went with two girlfriends about 10 years ago (feels like yesterday). One thing I had a great time at was something called Boom Chicago. Don't know if it is still around, but it was an comedy act from as you probably guessed...Chicago.

Another thing, I don't know where you are staying, but we stayed in a little apartment that was right on a canal and in the middle of everything. Way cheaper than staying in a hotel and way nicer than staying in a hostel.

Boom Chicago was still running in Nov.2008

Take Care and Peace
Marco

thanks for all the replies and advice guys..I kind of got high and forgot to return to the thread.lol. i will definitely learn those basic phrases before i leave, DirtyolSouth.

And also good advice on not buying anything from street dealers, NYC Diesel. Im staying in one hotel right outside of the red light district. Good thing there are lots of museums there or else id be at the coffee shops all day and I'd have to come up with a different excuse for my mom as to why I'm going to Holland other than Heineken museum lol j/k.
Sorry to hear about your bad experience Leafminer. Ill be sure to not travel the streets alone at night.
I tend to do stupid **** with my buds when im not sober, Yoga, so ill take from your experience and make sure i get back to my hotel safe every night.
Hey Marco when are you visiting? Maybe we'll run into each other and not even realize lol.

There are certain things that you do at certain times in your life...I went to Amsterdam when I was young and carefree. I wouldn't want to go back to where I was, because I am so happy with where I am. But I am glad I was there.

I hope that it is everything you think it will be. It was for me.

Il Stugots said:
Has anyone else been there? Maybe you could share some tips, maybe the best coffee shop to go to.
I drive over every couple of months. You’ll love it Il Stugots.
If you PM me, I’ll be happy to recommend hotels, coffee-shops etc, and fill you in on anything you want to know.
You’ve picked a manic time to go though. I generally avoid July and August. Finding a seat in a coffee-shop is virtually impossible :hairpull:
As for ‘trouble’, its just like any other city. Common sense! I’ve been a regular visitor since 1975 and I’ve never had a problem. My main advise would be DON’T try to score on the street!!! You don’t need to, and that could be asking for trouble.
The Dutch are very helpful people and (unlike the Brits) I’ve yet to meet one that doesn’t speak better English than me.
See you in the Bulldog! :D

One thing though, Don't even take a camera to the red light district. If those guys even think u are trying to take a pic of the "working gals" they will beat u up and take ur camera and smash it. Its kind of surreal to smoke in public there though. I got soooo paranoid the first time I did!! Heres a pic of some weed I bought when we first got there and it was the bomb diggity bomb LOLOL
In fact... can you pack me in ur suitcase when you go? :hubba:

AmsterdamPot2.jpg

Bella, Getting my camera smashed along with my face would totally suck. Ill definitely bring you along for the ride. you can hide in the bag with the brownies ;)

Latest posts

Back