Animal Repellant?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey I am planning on growing a few dozen plants this year in a place where there are often deer. What would be the best and easiest way to keep deer and other animals from bothering my plants? I've heard that spreading dog hair around the plants is a good way, but I only have one dog. Is there a repellant I can buy that does the job? Also, do insects cause much of a problem with plants? If so, what's the best way too stop them as well?

Hey FBJ there is nothing that is going to protect your plants 100%. I try to plant a few more than i need and plant them scattered out so there is a better chance of some making it. Chicken wire made into a circle shape and placed around them will keep the deer and rabits out but not the snales and rats. Fishing line tied from tree to bush in a circle about knee high will help keep the deer away. But i think the best is just plant more than you need and not all close together where if something finds them it eats them all. Another thing if your growing in a cutover area you can build a fence from old tree tops around your plants about thigh high. It needs to be close enouth to the plants that deer cant climb over inside the fence but large enough they cant leane over and nip your tops off. If the do get bitten dont go nuts because mj is great at regrowing after its nibbled on. Hope this helps. Also it sounds like your going to try outdoor growing so look at all the post in the outdoor section. Every question you could ask has already be asked and been ansered. Also look up one of the outdoor grow journals and read it and the other outdoor grow jopurnals you can find. Dont get to greedy though, start with a few plants and work form there. Slim

Actually wolf urine is good at keeping a lot of plant eating animals away, you can find an 8oz. bottle for like $20 on the internet. My brother made a circle around his plants but don't get too close to your plants with that stuff or it'll kill them. It gets expensive though cus the sent does fade. I don't see many people on here trying this though, its some rank smelling stuff, lol.

wolf urine? lmao dont forget eye of newt and a lock of hair from a highlands princess. you want to keep the deer away send em to a seminar with nancy reagan for 48 hours.

Latest posts

Back