Any electricians in the house??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rosebud said:
Good job Hammy!

Thanks Rose....not exactly getting my electricians license anytime soon though...but I can do the basics.:)

Hamster Lewis said:
So replaced the outlet and all is fine. Thanks again.

hey you need to spread out your power onto different breakers.

dctodave said:
hey you need to spread out your power onto different breakers.

I didn't wire the house. The circuit is fine and didn't over load. What I believe happened was the vacuum plug got tugged on while I was vacuuming and it caused the problem in the receptacle. I just replace the broken outlet.

Sorry Hammy,
Just saw your post, next time skip the 48 cent duplex's and get good ones. Chances are good, the cheap contact bar broke. The contacts and stabs are much better in the 20 amp versions....bout 3 bucks. Also, use the side screw terminals for hook up, the slip-in back connectors suck.

When I wire, I want em tight....then run a band of electrical tape all the way around the plug...covering the screws including the ground.

PS: I'm not an electrician....just an electrical engineer.....or else, I slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night :)

Hamster Lewis said:
I didn't wire the house. The circuit is fine and didn't over load. What I believe happened was the vacuum plug got tugged on while I was vacuuming and it caused the problem in the receptacle. I just replace the broken outlet.

your wife must be happy, if not for the fact you fixed the issue, then atleast for the fact you were vacuuming.:hubba:

For what its worth Hammy almost every time I vacum my bedroom I use a CFI near the bathroom and it blows and I have to reset it . Probobly my vacum.. Hero

bwanabud said:
Sorry Hammy,
Just saw your post, next time skip the 48 cent duplex's and get good ones. Chances are good, the cheap contact bar broke. The contacts and stabs are much better in the 20 amp versions....bout 3 bucks. Also, use the side screw terminals for hook up, the slip-in back connectors suck.

When I wire, I want em tight....then run a band of electrical tape all the way around the plug...covering the screws including the ground.

PS: I'm not an electrician....just an electrical engineer.....or else, I slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night :)

Thanks bro...and yeah I bought the more expensive outlet...like 5 bucks or so.

hero4u2b said:
For what its worth Hammy almost every time I vacum my bedroom I use a CFI near the bathroom and it blows and I have to reset it . Probobly my vacum.. Hero

Yeah when I have both tents going with both inline fans and my clone chamber I trip the breaker if I plug the vacuum in on that line. But I just hve one tent with a 4 bulb T5 set up going and 1 fan. It's all good now.

dman1234 said:
your wife must be happy, if not for the fact you fixed the issue, then atleast for the fact you were vacuuming.:hubba:

Lol....I actual enjoy vacuuming. Of course I always smoke a fat bowl before I do it so that has to help...lol:icon_smile:

Now your making me start a new thread lol

Remember Gents, all breakers are designed to blow at 80% of it's rated face value. IE....20amp breaker will crack at 16 amps of current draw.

bwanabud said:
Remember Gents, all breakers are designed to blow at 80% of it's rated face value. IE....20amp breaker will crack at 16 amps of current draw.

This is not true, the rule of thumb is not to exceed 80% of the breakers rating for safety.

Growdude said:
This is not true, the rule of thumb is not to exceed 80% of the breakers rating for safety.

Is that right ?...ya may want to read this then, carefully :)

CIRCUIT BREAKER AMPERE RATINGS
Circuit breakers have an ampere rating (typically marked on the end of the operating handle). This is the maximum continuous current that the breaker can carry without exceeding its rating. As a general rule the circuit breaker’s ampere rating should be the same as the conductor’s ampacity. In other words we would not want to put a 60 amp breaker on a 10 amp wire. Breakers are tested in open air, with a temperature of some 40 or 50 degrees C.
When a breaker is placed within an enclosure, cooling airflow is restricted; this reduces the ability of the breaker to carry a current to 80% of its ampere rating. When they are installed in an electrical enclosure, breakers will trip when a current in the amount of their rating is placed upon them continuously. Breakers are designed to be able to safely carry a current in excess of their rating for very very short periods of time to allow some types of electrical equipment (called inductive loads) such as motors to start up.
While not as common, some breakers are rated for 100% continuous loads. These are typically called supplementary protectors (SP) and not circuit breakers.

Excerpt from electrical engineering data. I'm only trying to help - not provide false info, or cause any unsafe situation (not that you are either). With out revealing my credentials or schooling...I know what I'm talking about.

Funny, that the same thing just happened at our house.I do not have much faith in those outlets, that you just push the wires into. Guess that I am old school,and like to use the screws...

And bwanabud I like the idea of the tape around the outlet..

Latest posts

Back