Any pumpkin growers out there?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

SmokinMom

Last year my girlfriends did the most amazing thing for me- they surprised me with 45 decorated pumpkins in my front yard. :D It was awesome.

Anyways, instead of throwing all those pumpkins into the trash, we instead dug a hole in the backyard. I discovered today that I have 4 pumpkin plants coming up so far!!

This was unintentional. I never thought they would grow. What should I be doing to help them along? Our soil is hard crappy clay.

Thanks.

add some poo.. and allow 20 square feet for growing area..so looks like you wont be mowing much come Aug..:rofl: lots of water too..I Have decided to do a outdoor scrog with MJ this summer..so I am not growing my GIANT pumkins I enter in the county fair..My largest on Record to date is 926 LBS back in 2004..Good Luck Mom..and just one hint...

dont allow the first female to grow..then the first female on secongarry vine is the pumper..Have fun Girl:ciao:

mCarefully dig around the plants to loosen the soil add a little line and a little compost and sand mix up and cover with straw train vines to strawed area as pumpkins appear pile straw under then.

I tilled 1 pumpkin in my garden for fun and I've been picking them ever since. I'm letting 3 of them grow and I'll probably have to take 2 of those out, they are taking over bigtime.

It has been 5 days since I checked on the pumpkins, wow how they've grown!

And I found a baby pumpkin below a female flower. If she got pollenated, it will grow and get bigger. And as you can see, quite a few male flowers real close. :D I am so excited!

4u2sm0ke said:
dont allow the first female to grow..then the first female on secongarry vine is the pumper.

I'll try but its gonna be tough. :p

wow just noticed this thread we've got some seeds i kept back from a monster pumpkin we had at the rugby club for the kids last halloween

so you just threw the whole pumpkins in the hole and up they come,geez ive read online about growing them and the growers are just as passionate about there orbs as we are to our plants..

watching with interest

yellow pages...we do get into pumkins just as much as we do MJ..:giggle:

smokinmom...that looks like small gords..the green thing looks like watermellon..you sure these pumkin:rofl: you see how close the nodes are..this will tell tyou the sixe of the pumkins..but Ill let you read up on that:lama: Im a keep a close eye on this one..give a shout if ya need anything:ciao:

Thanks guys. Yes, we just dug a hole and stuck all the old pumpkins in there when Halloween was over.

And we didn't put any watermellons or squash into the whole so yep-pumpkins. ;)

I can tell the male and female flowers apart now. Been doing my homework.

Thanks guys.

they are the easiest to sex huh? and when cross breading it relly looks like..well this is a family site..:giggle:

New pics by request. The flower was a beautiful male that I picked and forced into wild monkey love with an open female flower. :hubba:

I still haven't prepared the ground or added any fertilizer. Been meaning to go to the garden center and keep forgetting. :rolleyes:

But I do see lots of tiny green pumpkins. If they got pollenated they'll grow. If they didn't they will just shrivel and die.

This is fun to watch. Just hope my dogs don't start eating it!!!

It will be interesting to see how much of the backyard they take over...lol.

I would love to be able to gift each lady one of these pumpkins. A group of gals got together last year to surprise me with 45+. I think it would be so damn cool to return the love. :D

I'm sure they will take over a good portion of your yard! Can't wait to see what happens with them. Keep us posted. Take care and be safe.

That happened to me one year, these monster weeds appeared from nowhere. Then I discovered it was pumpkins from the previous year's halloween. I guess I threw the pumpkin away and let nature take its course. You probably won't have to work too hard. Pumpkins are pretty hardy and just need space which it looks like they'll have.
greengenes

Haha Reddy!

Quick story as to why I got pumpkinized last year...

My dad was always my pumpkin fairey. Every year he'd drive by and put a few in the yard for my kids and never awknowledged it was him. Even in 2007when he was so sick, he still did it. Well he died Nov 07. The gals from my moms group knew I was having a hard time with it being the 1st Halloween season my dad wasn't here. So they organized a big pumpkin playdate. They painted pumpkins, they glued embellishments, the little kids put stickers on some, I even had a Minnie Mouse pumpkin. It was such a great outpouring of love and support. So now I hope everyone can understand how special it is to me, and how the love continues- in my backyard. Makes me so happy. :D

Just a small sampling..

mr.greengenes said:
That happened to me one year, these monster weeds appeared from nowhere. Then I discovered it was pumpkins from the previous year's halloween. I guess I threw the pumpkin away and let nature take its course. You probably won't have to work too hard. Pumpkins are pretty hardy and just need space which it looks like they'll have.
greengenes

Did you get a lot of pumpkins from your plants?

thats some wonderful friends :heart:you have
SM i hope you get enough to gift them back ,,,fingers crossed 4u

the mini mouse one is cool :peace:

SmokinMom said:
Haha Reddy!

Quick story as to why I got pumpkinized last year...

My dad was always my pumpkin fairey. Every year he'd drive by and put a few in the yard for my kids and never awknowledged it was him. Even in 2007when he was so sick, he still did it. Well he died Nov 07. The gals from my moms group knew I was having a hard time with it being the 1st Halloween season my dad wasn't here. So they organized a big pumpkin playdate. They painted pumpkins, they glued embellishments, the little kids put stickers on some, I even had a Minnie Mouse pumpkin. It was such a great outpouring of love and support. So now I hope everyone can understand how special it is to me, and how the love continues- in my backyard. Makes me so happy. :D

Just a small sampling..

that is such a selfless and awesome gesture, sorta moving actually, thanks for sharing mom! pullin up a lawn chair for this one;)

Latest posts

Back