Any watermelon growers out there?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrowRebel

Another Female Grower
Reaction score
I would like to grow some watermelons this year in my yard ... I've never grow any before so if anyone here can give me some tips on getting a good crop please post ... thanks ... :hubba:

I've never grown before either but Im going to grow this year, my Mom has grown for years and says to start them now indoors and plant the first week of june, she feed them 10-52-10 the first couple feedings and 20-20-20 after that until fruiting begins then she's says to go strait water, hope that helps alittle the main thing my mom says is to start early as we live in Canada and have a some what shorter growing period!! This seems to work for my mom as she gets great melons every year!

Phatpharmer

were growing some Charleston Grays this year. thier big, and long watermelons. i till up my garden spot, rake it down,then add horse crap, till that in, fertilize with 10/10/10, add some dolomite lime, then hose it down real good, and plant the seeds.

watermelon are pretty easy to grow, and don't require alot of work, other than prepping your ground...bb...

Thanks for the input ... the packet with the seeds state that they must be two feet apart ... is that correct? :eek:

I have some of the orange ones, and some of the red that just got their first real set of leaves. I just prepared my whole garden the same with homemade compost, several bags of top quality Home Depot soil, and a few bags of Home Depot fine compost mix. I don't have any wisdom for ya because I haven't grown them before and I threw the packs away...but I'll sure be watching for more tips:)

We use to grow them to sell. Just prepare your soil like you would for veggie garden, plant about 2 foot or so apart. Use a fert that is higher in P on the NPK scale a few times in the begining, then a balanced NPK later then plain water towards the end as stated above. But as the melons appear on the vines weed out the smaller unhealthy ones and keep the larger ones. This will promote more energy to the larger produce and make them larger and sweeter. Also you can rotate every few days this will help ripen them more evenly and prevent flat spots. But they are very easy to grow...take care..

Latest posts

Back