Happy Birthday, Dad.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewbOldster

Reaction score
He would have been 91 today. Born smack dab in the middle of the Great Depression, his own father left when dad was just nine years old, never to be heard from again. He grew up extremely hard, and he raised his kids the same way. Dad had his demons, and he had a temper when he was younger. We never went hungry though, I can tell ya' that. Dad knew what hunger was.

But he was a good, fair man...albeit hard as nails. Worked full, thick callouses into my hands by the time I was 15, and he could still outwork me then. Dad made sure I was working from the time I could catch a ride - I cut and laid sod, picked gladiolas and oranges, picked and then sold watermelons ($.25 each, or 5/$1.00) off the back of a tractor trailer, trimmed palm trees and scraped barnacles off the bottoms of boats, among other labor-intensive jobs - all before age 13.

He was a carpenter, and I was free labor for him, long before home builders were all subbed out. He made me do it all, except plumbing and electrical. I carried sheets of plywood, rolls of tarpaper and bundles of shingles up an extension ladder to the roofs of many houses. There were no conveyors, or air nailers. It was all done by hand. One nail at a time.

At age 15 I had to get a work permit and a 'real' job - with a real paycheck - bussing tables or washing dishes, stocking grocery store shelves, then eventually finding more permanent work at a tire store, where I was still working when I enlisted in the Air Force.

Dad, you fvckin' hard-ass! I love ya' man, and I wish you were still here. We still have so much we never talked about.

Happy Birthday, Old Man! I miss the hell outta ya'. 😍

1703173024677.png

A good friend of mine lost his dad at age 12. I was very fortunate to have a father in my young life. I appreciate that, and appreciate y'alls kind words.

Even though he was an ornery bastage, he shaped my life, and he did so honorably. He was a good dad.

You are lucky to have your dad for all those years. Mine died when I was 5 and do not remember him much.
I can't say anything except I'm sorry you had that experience.
If not for my dad, I might have killed myself in my early years. I tended toward delinquency in my youth...not because I was a thief or a bad guy, but because I was crazy. He tempered that some. Today, I appreciate it.

IMG_4317.jpeg

Ode to the carpenters son.
My dad is standing, my grandfather is on the left, (wish ma had done a better job with the camera) my great grandfather is on the right, and that be me in the middle.
4 generations of us on a roof. I was about 6 years old at the time.
Everyone in the picture is gone except me.
Everyone in that picture also built their own home.
My dad was a self employed carpenter his whole life.
I didn’t get summer vacations.
We were fortunate to be raised by such men, NewOldster.
I miss my dad, too.

View attachment 349366
Ode to the carpenters son.
My dad is standing, my grandfather is on the left, (wish ma had done a better job with the camera) my great grandfather is on the right, and that be me in the middle.
4 generations of us on a roof. I was about 6 years old at the time.
Everyone in the picture is gone except me.
Everyone in that picture also built their own home.
My dad was a self employed carpenter his whole life.
I didn’t get summer vacations.
We were fortunate to be raised by such men, NewOldster.
I miss my dad, too.
3 tab shingles? I was pumping shingles at 12

3 tab shingles? I was pumping shingles at 12
Yep, the old 3 tabs, but we wasn’t nailing down shingles in that pic, we were nailing down decking boards.
It’s pretty cool that you brought this thread to the top today, I stopped by the cemetery a little earlier and had a visit with dad.

Latest posts

Back