How to move plants to new house

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerrydixon

Reaction score
Hello all.

I shall be moving my house in a couple of months and I have a number of plants and shrubs in posts that I will be taking with me. I don't want to sell them as I love them a lot. My kids also like them and want them in our new home. So I have decided to take them with us into our new home.
I have about 50 hostas of various sizes, all in pots and tubs. Some about 4 ft in diameter as well as 20 fuschias and many other plants and cuttings to take with movers cape town to johannesburg. How should I prepare them for the journey?
I will be using a long distance shipping company. I was thinking of putting the pots in bin bags and securing them to the trunk to keep any ants contained. Should I wrap in fleece or something similar to protect the branches?

Can anyone offer any suggestions, please?

Last edited:
Hello all.

I shall be moving my house in a couple of months and I have a number of plants and shrubs in posts that I will be taking with me. I don't want to sell them as I love them a lot. My kids also like them and want them in our new home. So I have decided to take them with us into our new home.
I have about 50 hostas of various sizes, all in pots and tubs. Some about 4 ft in diameter as well as 20 fuschias and many other plants and cuttings to take. How should I prepare them for the journey?
I will be using a Caperemovals long distance shipping company. I was thinking of putting the pots in bin bags and securing them to the trunk to keep any ants contained. Should I wrap in fleece or something similar to protect the branches?

Can anyone offer any suggestions, please?
thanks in advance for any help

What kind of shipping company? Tractor trailer?
Your moving your house😳 or moving to a new house?

When I moved last year, I had a bunch of potted friends too. I'd suggest wrapping the pots in newspaper or bubble wrap to keep them cozy and secure during the journey. For the bigger ones, maybe use some old towels or blankets to prevent any bumps and bruises. Bin bags are a smart idea for containing any mess, but be sure to poke a few holes for ventilation. As for the branches, a light layer of fleece or even old t-shirts can give them some extra love and protection. I would also encourage you to check out threemovers.com. There are some useful recommendations there for those who are in the process of moving.

Last edited:
That is approx 870 mile move, might want to look into a freight company instead.
They may have a better idea on large plant moving. Best of Luck ,

A plant in one area might not thrive in another area, based on soil conditions, weather, insects and animals, etc......best to do your research first before going thru the hassle.

When I moved last year, I had a bunch of potted friends too. I'd suggest wrapping the pots in newspaper or bubble wrap to keep them cozy and secure during the journey. For the bigger ones, maybe use some old towels or blankets to prevent any bumps and bruises. Bin bags are a smart idea for containing any mess, but be sure to poke a few holes for ventilation. As for the branches, a light layer of fleece or even old t-shirts can give them some extra love and protection. I would also encourage you to check out Flytte bedrift. There are some useful recommendations there for those who are in the process of moving.
thank you so much for your suggestion

Latest posts

Back