Anybody Tried LEDs for Vegging?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey hushpuppy

I downloaded an app on my apple device that is a lux meter.
Got a question for ya, I understand that 1 lux is in cubic feet but is there a formula for finding lumens in square feet?

I ask because when I put it near my 2200 lumen T5 it reads 1300ish
I know t5 light doesn't travel far but it just doesn't seem right to me

skullcandy said:
I have no debate on led vs. hps I have seen some nice looking buds from both lights of coures this was in video and pictures that i seen them. but they do work. to bad there was no way to ask the 1000 watt users if they have compared them side by side I use 235 watts and that gets me over an oz of bud what does 235 watts of hps do? I ask because I have only used the leds and the sun to grow . the sun in mid summer kick butt

I think it's been proven that modern LED lights from reputable companies work very well for vegging. The question for most of us is how well LEDs work for flowering.

I think HPS penetrates the canopy better than LEDs, producing a better yield. A sales rep at California Light Works said as much to me when I contacted him with a question about their LEDs.

The comparison I'd like to see is LED vs HPS in a SCROG setup, where all buds are the same height. I believe HPS would still win, yield-wise, but I'd be interested in seeing by how much. And I'd be interested in comparing the potency of the buds.

If I thought potency was the same, I'd trash my HPS right now and buy an LED. I'm a relatively light smoker anyway, so I don't need big yields. But I really care about potency.

Well, like I said, I got about 5.5 ounces from a 300W HPS scrog (which actually was not that great a yield). So if 1 oz is about what a 235W LED will produce, there really is no comparison, even with a mediocre HPS scrog.

HOT5s kicks Leds butt in Vegg, price, the light spread, and Lumens per watt.

WeedHopper said:
HOT5s kicks Leds butt in Vegg, price, the light spread, and Lumens per watt.

I don't think modern LEDs from reputable manufacturers are inferior to HO T5s. A year or two ago? Yes. But the technology has advanced for vegging. I like the California Light Works 200-watt VegMaster. Forty 5-watt LEDs specifically tuned to the veg spectrum. I'm thinking about giving one a try sometime. If I do, I'll post results here (good or not-so-good).

They are expensive though.

To each his own. A lot of people I respect on this forum swear by HO T5s over MH for vegging. I've tried both, but I've had better results from MH. Go figure.

I'm cheering for LEDs. If the technology can be advanced to veg and flower with them with great results, we'll all be winners. Especially once the price comes down. We'll see if it happens.

In 1980, a very slow, inefficient, limited PC cost over $5,000. Today, a PC that is thousands of times more powerful than all the computers aboard any Apollo moon mission costs well less than $1,000. Nobody in 1980 would have ever guessed.

The Hemp Goddess said:
Well, like I said, I got about 5.5 ounces from a 300W HPS scrog (which actually was not that great a yield). So if 1 oz is about what a 235W LED will produce, there really is no comparison, even with a mediocre HPS scrog.

I'm not sure that one grower producing one ounce from a 235-watt LED is truly indicative of what modern LEDs from reputable manufacturers will produce...

Maybe it is. I'm just rooting for LEDs. I know they're not "there" yet, but I sure hope they will be within the next five years...

Anyway, in my case I'm not concerned with big yields...an ounce lasts me a long time...I'm mostly interested in potency...but I don't know how the potency of buds produced by LEDs compare to those produced by HPS...

IMO the LED are 10 yrs down the road The decent preforming light are just starting to show up in the hands of growlight makers. Another 10 yrs and the high output LED will be reasonable enough for the everyday person to afford.

ozzydiodude said:
IMO the LED are 10 yrs down the road The decent preforming light are just starting to show up in the hands of growlight makers. Another 10 yrs and the high output LED will be reasonable enough for the everyday person to afford.

I agree 95% with you Ozzy regarding flowering...but I think LEDs have arrived as far as vegging is concerned...at least in performance if not price...yet...

The thing people don't realize is that the LED light units that are less then 1.5 watts per LED bulb don't have the power necessary for optimum plant growth.

ozzydiodude said:
The thing people don't realize is that the LED light units that are less then 1.5 watts per LED bulb don't have the power necessary for optimum plant growth.

True, but some LED fixtures today have 5 watts per LED bulb...but do cost a lot...

From what I have seen other do, the 3 and 5 watters will be the ones. they're are just getting into working with them and getting the prices down. The light source market is changing too. With the outlawing of the 100 watt old light bulbs and the lights on the market right now just not giving enough light, We will be seeing new better light sources over the next few yrs. Who know maybe even the Plasma lighting will make a come back.

The Hemp Goddess said:

how many plants did you have I got that out of one plant that was only about 3 feet tall, 5.5 oz that must have been some big buds THG you have me convinced too get me some hps lights. and of course there's your experience at growing that I bet had alot to do with what you got out of it.

Auburn1985 said:
I think it's been proven that modern LED lights from reputable companies work very well for vegging. The question for most of us is how well LEDs work for flowering.

I think HPS penetrates the canopy better than LEDs, producing a better yield. A sales rep at California Light Works said as much to me when I contacted him with a question about their LEDs.

The comparison I'd like to see is LED vs HPS in a SCROG setup, where all buds are the same height. I believe HPS would still win, yield-wise, but I'd be interested in seeing by how much. And I'd be interested in comparing the potency of the buds.

If I thought potency was the same, I'd trash my HPS right now and buy an LED. I'm a relatively light smoker anyway, so I don't need big yields. But I really care about potency.[/QUOTE

not sure of the potency created by the two, however I like what the Led has done for me not sure if I would want to switch to hps then what would I do with my leds but I would invest in the california lightworks I hear they have a U.V. light in bloom to help give that little extra kick to the potency of the buds and like you I like the potent stuff so I can smoke less and still enjoy . I currenttly use the advance Led extreme flower Diamond series there good lights but I think the california lightworks has a better light . the other light I hear is worth a try is the badboy t5 it has eg and bloom bulbs .

I cant wait for a cooler better light sorse comparable to cost of HPS,,,they arnt there yet,but ill be watching.

skullcandy said:
how many plants did you have I got that out of one plant that was only about 3 feet tall, 5.5 oz that must have been some big buds THG you have me convinced too get me some hps lights. and of course there's your experience at growing that I bet had alot to do with what you got out of it.

That was 2 plants I scrogged in a space about 4 sq ft--I think it was about 22" x 27". The space was 4' tall. I did this with a light set-up that I made for about $25--2 150W security lights, a couple of bake-a-round tubes, a few odds and ends and I had a light. I was remodeling my flowering room so used my vegging space to flower and this was the result. The link is in my signature. Really, that grow I only got about 1/2 gram per watt, so I don't even really consider it a big yield.

I am like Ozzy. I do think that LEDs will get there eventually, but I don't think we are there yet. I just like for everyone to get the most out of their grows and I think right now it is hard to beat T5s for vegging and HPS for flowering.

The Hemp Goddess said:
That was 2 plants I scrogged in a space about 4 sq ft--I think it was about 22" x 27". The space was 4' tall. I did this with a light set-up that I made for about $25--2 150W security lights, a couple of bake-a-round tubes, a few odds and ends and I had a light. I was remodeling my flowering room so used my vegging space to flower and this was the result. The link is in my signature. Really, that grow I only got about 1/2 gram per watt, so I don't even really consider it a big yield.

I am like Ozzy. I do think that LEDs will get there eventually, but I don't think we are there yet. I just like for everyone to get the most out of their grows and I think right now it is hard to beat T5s for vegging and HPS for flowering.
Well said THG,,as always. You are a diplomat.Me,,,uhhhh,,not so much.:D

WeedHopper said:

I think LEDs are already there for vegging (performance-wise, but not price-wise).

I've decided to try the California Light Works 200-watt VegMaster. I ordered one last night. I'll let yall know how it compares to my previous MH and T5 vegging grows. I'm gonna put it to work as soon as it arrives next week in my current Herijuana grow.

Growing MJ and making wine are my only 2 hobbies, so I don't mind spending a bit of extra money on them in the name of experimenting and having fun.

I'm not trying to be an LED crusader. But I've done a lot of reading on the subject, and I want to try one for vegging.

WeedHopper said:

Why hold back? Be a non-diplomat and shoot with both barrels. 12-gauge if you gottem. I assure you, I can take it, and then some. I won't hold it against you...:)

But don't hold it against me if I shoot back...:)

Nah Auburn,THG has taught me alittle more cooth then I had when i first came to MP.:D I was a little rough at first. Butted heads a few times with my buddie Hick.:ignore:
Truth is I would love to switch to a light that is as good as HOT5s for Vegg and HPS for flower. Problem is,,there isnt one yet that compares in Price,, Lumens per Watt,,spread and penatration. Hopefully someday,,and Im sure they will be.

WeedHopper said:
Nah Auburn,THG has taught me alittle more cooth then I had when i first came to MP.:D Now I try and not piss PPL off so much.;)
Truth is I would love to switch to a light that is as good as HOT5s for Vegg and HPS for flower. Problem is,,there isnt one yet that compares in Lumens per Watt,,spread and penatration. Hopefully someday,,and Im sure they will be.

Well sir, I do respect your opinion, and candor. But I do think that LEDs have surpassed T5s for vegging...in everything except price...which is an important factor, I realize...

I'm gonna find out for myself soon...and I will honestly try to report unbiased results on this forum...because as THG said, and I agree, I do care about everyone getting the best results possible...

Latest posts

Back