Anybody Tried LEDs for Vegging?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auburn1985

Reaction score
I'm toying with the idea of trying a 200-watt VegMaster LED (by California Light Works). It has forty 5-watt LEDs, and the color spectrum was chosen specifically for vegging. I would use it to veg 4-6 plants in a 2.5 x 2.5 tent.

The complete price shipped to my door is $395. And the rep I spoke with said the LEDs will run for 2.5 years on a 24/0 veg cycle before needing to be replaced. In my opinion, by then a better product will be available, and I would probably want to upgrade to it rather than replace LEDs in the VegMaster.

Has anybody tried LED for vegging?

Thanks.

No,,but HO T5s kick *** for Vegging.

WeedHopper said:
No,,but HO T5s kick *** for Vegging.

I've tried them, and liked them OK, but I'm bored and want to try something new. The T5 fixture (SunBlaze 2-foot 8-lamp) that would (not quite) cover my veg space costs half as much as the LED I'm looking at, and with bulb changes over 2.5 years, would cost somewhere near as much. And is bigger and bulkier.

But I may stick with T5. I keep going back and forth on which to buy (LED or T5).

Wow, I'm a bit surprised that no one here has tried LEDs for vegging.

leds are becoming more commonplace these days lead are very good veging the ladies . its been proved by grows all over the world. i would say t5s are better at this point but as you have said. u would like to try something new
but yea auburn there good for what you would like to use them for. its when you want to flower thats when leds fall of a lil

yar just as sin said, iv used 2 145 watt LED UFOs from seed to chop, defently needs more oomph in flower, but yes for veg LEDs do great, just keep it much closer to the canopy then the T5s, like 2 inches to 3 inches above, also its best to try and keep them small, the larger the plant the harder it is to keep good light penetration, train them in veg, keep them somewhat even and the LED should do awesome, let me see if i can dig around and find some pic from my LED grow last year, it was only one plant but at least its something you may be interested in...

hxxp://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62713

now to remind you, this is a full LED grow from start to finish and unfortunally i just noticed i never finished the thread with end pictures, ill try and find the pics around here and post a final update, although its like a year old now lol, but yeah pics start on page 2 i think , she got about 2.5 ft tall before i flipped to 12/12. also i wasnt doing any kind of training at the time so its just a streight up tall plant, and the lower brances are defently smaller and grew less due to the lack of good light, light being 3 ft away from lower branches kinda hurts. so id reccommend that you do some LST, Supercropping and/or topping, try and keep it even and youll have a friken bush in no time with the LEDs, youll be happy with the growth if yah give em some love and training.

Well, I decided to stick with T5s. Maybe I'll try LEDs in a year or two.

After reading all the posts, I can only say Go for LED Grow Lights If you want to save !

They do appear costly initially but later on It starts paying you back ! And thats a well known fact !

SPAM REMOVED

LEDS do not compare to HPS in Flowering.

they work just as good as other lights in my opion i still use them i hear that california light works also have U.V. light for when your in the flowering stage have not tryed there brand but hear there top notch if you do use them let us know how they work

skullcandy said:
they work just as good as other lights in my opion i still use them i hear that california light works also have U.V. light for when your in the flowering stage have not tryed there brand but hear there top notch if you do use them let us know how they work

Ive seen this debate so many times its funny as hell. Not one time have I seen a side by side show LEDS doing the job of HPS,,,but to each his own. Let the debate begin.:ignore:

WeedHopper said:
Ive seen this debate so many times its funny as hell. Not one time have I seen a side by side show LEDS doing the job of HPS,,,but to each his own. Let the debate begin.:ignore:

In my OP, I inquired about LEDs for vegging. I'm committed to HPS for flowering.

WeedHopper said:

I have no debate on led vs. hps I have seen some nice looking buds from both lights of coures this was in video and pictures that i seen them. but they do work. to bad there was no way to ask the 1000 watt users if they have compared them side by side I use 235 watts and that gets me over an oz of bud what does 235 watts of hps do? I ask because I have only used the leds and the sun to grow . the sun in mid summer kick butt

Yeah,,growing in the summer in the south is a *****. I used to live in Florida.:eek:

skullcandy said:
I have no debate on led vs. hps I have seen some nice looking buds from both lights of coures this was in video and pictures that i seen them. but they do work. to bad there was no way to ask the 1000 watt users if they have compared them side by side I use 235 watts and that gets me over an oz of bud what does 235 watts of hps do? I ask because I have only used the leds and the sun to grow . the sun in mid summer kick butt

I don't usually use smaller lights, but I got 5.5 ozs from a dual 150W HPS grow--300W total when I did. The lights are in a cool tube and it was quite easy to keep the space cool enough. Summers here get really warm too. It is common to be over 100. However we do not have the humidity you guys in the south do.

THG,,do you think its easier to cool your growroom using Cooltubes or a Ventahood?

If you get cool tubes make sure it is the type that has the external hood, not the internal reflector with the little wings. I had both and tested them against each other with a digital lux meter. I found that the tubes with the external hoods put out 20-30% more lumens at 2' than the tubes with the internal reflector. I replaced all of my older cool tubes. :)

Latest posts

Back