ARRRRGGGG Slugs and Snails???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djsmaverick

Husband/Wife growing team
Reaction score
:mad: Ok so I have planted a garden and most all of my plants are doin excellent but those darn slugs and snails have eaten all of my punkin plants, watermelon, and cantelope plants. :( They have left alone all of my squash, zuchinni, tomatoes, and everything in the middle. I have put slug and snail repellent along the outside of my garden and around all of my plants, yet somehow they keep gettin them. What is a good way to get rid of them or at least repel them from them??? I am goin nuts. All info would help. :peace: :ciao:

Sluggo. If you havn't used it - try it out. It's a pellitized food that they eat then crawl away and die. I had a problem with them myself in the past with my veggie gardens. I'd sprinkle it around the garden area and places I thought they would hide. It needs re-applications after rain but works well.

try putting a copper wire around them :peace:

the plants not the snails :giggle:

I personally never use poison in my garden as im afraid the birds will eat the poisoned slugs/snails.

Like ukgirl i use a combination of copper pipe/wire as well as 1/4 full beer cans buried around my plants, Straw around the plants and creating a habitat for the birds to nest and feed safely.

Apart from that i plant things like hosta's and lettuce between my veg which the slimey little buggers love to eat instead of my crops.

Also i go out most nights and pick snails and slugs and throw them in the river for the fish to eat.
It's a lot more work but less damaging to the wildlife.

the whole copper wire sounds pretty expensive & time consuming.

Dirtysouth is right, beer works great. My pops used to put beer in empty cat food can around the garden and slugs and snails go nuts for the stuff. They drink it and die. You do not even need to waste beer, you can just use the last bit of your beer, you know, the bottom of the beer that is warm and going to get tossed out anyway, works great.

I use egg shells. you break them up kind of small and place around the plant. it cuts them up bad..:hubba:

Latest posts

Back