Attic?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willowgrow

Reaction score
Due to space/smell/wandering eyes etc. etc. i have to move my setup to the attic. Its only a simple 2 bucket DWC setup w/ 2 150w HPS lamps on each plant so it wouldn't take much at all to setup in the attic. But there is somewhat of a draft, and being an attic it is cooler in the winter and i assume hotter in the summer. So the only real problem i can see will be climate control; does anyone have any insight on this?

sounds like a small setup, so it might pay off to get a small grow tent. They don't cost too much, and in a small enclosed space you'll really be able to control the temp of its better.

it is insulated, blown insulation on the floors and the pink rolled insulation between the wall studs, but that's it.

blancolighter said:
sounds like a small setup, so it might pay off to get a small grow tent. They don't cost too much, and in a small enclosed space you'll really be able to control the temp of its better.

Yeah I had thought of that. Sorry for not describing the space better, it's about 15'Lx12'Hx8'W. The ceiling is slanted so i was thinking of just taking plastic and sectioning part of it off. I was more worried about the ambient temperature of the entire space.

Well, if possible you could try tapping into your houses duct work if there is any in the attic. Personally though I would currently go with a small porable heater in a grow tent, controllin attic temp is tough... You could also see if your house has any soffit vents letting some air into the attic, if there are you could cover em up and that would help the temp.

I agree with Blanco--- we use the Homebox XS (you might want to go bigger) but it regulates its own temp pretty well with a decent light in there....

It basically boils down to what the climate is where you live. How cold does it get and what are your average nighttime and daytime temps? I would deal with the winter climate now and deal with summer when it comes. I have a winter ventilation set up and a summer one. If you have a draft, It is most likely coming from soffit vents or vent louvers at the ends of the house. I would block off any blowing cold air on the plants.

The draft i think can be taken care of; i think its coming from poorly installed siding so it wouldn't take much to just caulk it up. The temperatures are nothing extreme, about 30-40F in the days and 20-30F at night, on average. The summers can get hot, pretty consistent 90F+ during the dog days, but that's a ways off and not a priority atm. Ill check on the duct situation, that might be a necessity to cool the space for the summer, but a space heater seems like a solid enough solution for the time being, thanks.

you also need to consider mold problems if not properly ventilated.which can be hazardous to everyone in the house.a tent is more feasible to me.thats what i use,1 for veg and 1 for flower.until i go bigger.i also will not be growing inside during the hottest months either.its too costly to run portable ac units to control temps.outside growing is in for me when it gets to that point.if not,i have enough smoke to last me until it cools off.

andy52 said:
you also need to consider mold problems if not properly ventilated.which can be hazardous to everyone in the house.a tent is more feasible to me.thats what i use,1 for veg and 1 for flower.until i go bigger.i also will not be growing inside during the hottest months either.its too costly to run portable ac units to control temps.outside growing is in for me when it gets to that point.if not,i have enough smoke to last me until it cools off.

i have fans for moving the air around up there, and there is fresh air coming in via the cracks in the exterior; i guess its just a matter of finding them and controlling the air flow. i think your right about a tent being the best solution for my space since it is only a couple plants, throwing one together using pvc and some plastic shouldnt be a problem

I am growing in an uninsulated attic, and I framed out a 4x4x6 out of wood and covered it with Panda film. I am in the Northeast and it gets cold up there but it keeps my area at a steady temp of 80 degrees due to the lights. When my lights are off I have a small heater in there set to low to keep my temps around 70-72 degrees

I am starting a grow in a garage. I have a tent for that and I am hoping for the same results as my attic

Latest posts

Back