Aurora

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yeah they look really fine. Mine are about 3 weeks into flower at the moment. I agree about the nute tolerance - I have been slowly upping mine, (MG 15-30-15) and haven't found the limit yet. Easy does it ... really looking forward to seeing if you guys agree with me on the potency of this strain.
Buddylov, your type there seems typical - I also found them very slow growing from seed. But the clones don't have that problem; I have 4 or 5 clones and they took off really fast after rooting. So I have 7 Auroras in the grow room right now, including the big revegged moms, all in flower, and the one 50-50 hybrid with a local sativa. Which turned out female ... luck!

This has my attention I have been looking at these aurora seeds on nl.seeds.com. Do the buds get that blueish purple color like in the pics would love to see this one through. Looking forward to finished product pics.

My first grow didn't look like that pic on their site. But the colas were very dense, all wrapped up in very tiny leaf.
However, the grow started very late - due to bad seeds the first time I lost 2 months (I just couldn't believe it was the seeds ... kept trying a few of them each time, different media, none worked).
And I didn't have a grow room so they were outside in late summer when the sun-up time was declining fast.
I got a small harvest but the colas looked more like the 'hash plant' strain that NL have there.

I'll take a picture of one of the colas as it is now, and post it here, as soon as I have time. And I'll certainly post an update at harvest time. My main problem at the moment is keeping my hands off it ... :hubba:
I think Andy is growing some Aurora too ... be interesting to compare notes. I'm going to over-winter this strain in the grow room, reveg, and go for some more next year, started in the grow room and moved outside in March.

oltomnoddy said:
"Ready for smoking Aurora Indica.
This is the fourth and final clone generation I started from seed.
Tallies:
grow 1 - 2 plants, 5.25 oz's.
grow 2 - 2 plants, 7.35 oz's.
grow 3 - 2 plants, 9.50 oz's.
grow 4 - 3 plants, 12.75 oz's.
Total, 34.85 oz's.
All from 5 seeds germinated (3 females), reading and learning from this board, and a lot of luck. Thanks, Marp."

What's the setup that you used to get these numbers? How long did you veg? I would be very happy with almost 4 zones o' dro per lady, and I'll do what I must to make that happen.

I just propagated my one lady and she's sitting pretty under my HPS. 75 degrees, 26 percent humidity and she bushed out like a mushroom cloud in response to a mere 2 weeks of LST. I have yet to see any proof of nute burn in this strain. I'm growing organically in soil and these are the tits. I'm glad I bought a good lot of seeds, as I'll be growing this strain for years to come. Assuming the dope is dope........

And as for your plants leafminer, I can't wait to post something similar in the coming weeks. How long do you usually veg these?

Here she is, miss aurora-indica........

Photo0138.jpg

Photo0137.jpg

Photo0140.jpg

raoulduke2.0 said:
I just propagated my one lady and she's sitting pretty under my HPS. 75 degrees, 26 percent humidity and she bushed out like a mushroom cloud in response to a mere 2 weeks of LST. I have yet to see any proof of nute burn in this strain. I'm growing organically in soil and these are the tits. I'm glad I bought a good lot of seeds, as I'll be growing this strain for years to come. Assuming the dope is dope........

And as for your plants leafminer, I can't wait to post something similar in the coming weeks. How long do you usually veg these?

Your plant looks super lush! Looks like you're doing everything right. :) And if it smokes like mine does, you're going to be very satisified with it. It's the kind of hit that's best for late evening ...

I had a strange situation this year because of the seed problems, plus it was my first time indica grow, plus I was just building the grow room.
The two moms were revegged, it took 4 weeks to trigger the new growth and then I vegged for, I think it was about 3 weeks, before going to 12/12.
But the clones, they only had about 2 weeks of veg before going to 12/12. Honestly I would have preferred to veg for at least 4 weeks but I just don't have that capability right now. I've learned the hard way that two separate grow spaces are necessary.
BTW the hybrid is super vigorous; it is from seed at the same time I took the clones, yet the stem is twice as thick as the pure Aurora clones and it is growing at a terrific rate, even though it is now in flower. I can hardly wait to see how the bud compares. I'm going to breed it back to the sativa so I can use it next season as my outdoor grow. I'll post a pic of the hybrid colas as soon as they are a decent size.

I'm eager to breed this with something sativa, so I can throw them in the ground come march. The effortless veg process along with very bushy foliage would be ideal for this mountain weather. And if the supposed high potency could be transferred to a frame that would hold 5-10 ounces then I think I might cream in my pants.

I have been thinking along the lines of some classic sativa, one as potent as the Aurora, around 17% upward for preference. One that makes nice purps. I love sativa but it makes me paranoid. As in "I got the f e a r ... man!" On the other hand Aurora has the liability of causing complete disconnect of the motor system...
Of course, one could hope for the amazing lush stone of Aurora plus the incredible mental fancies of a really top sativa. But it also occurs to me that one might get the motor disconnect of Aurora plus the paranoia of sativa.. :eek:

So how does the Oaxaca I used qualify? Well, it has high potency, it has purps, it's incredibly vigorous and also very resistant to heat. Unfortunately it has a 100% hermie trait. However, the hybrid (fem) shows no sign of that problem, so far. Growth rate has been about 50% faster than the Aurora.
The hybrid continues very strong, I had it on LST but released it when the side branches overtook the main stem. It is going to overtake the lamps if I am not careful, I may need to pinch or preferably LST. Oh, yeah, I pollinated a side branch of it, today. The seed should be 67-33 sat/ind. That will be a three way bc I have noted that maybe the Aurora is the F1 of Afghan + Northern Lights. The Oaxacas used to go to 10 ft so I guess the hybrid might go to 6ft at least? Unsure.

5 weeks:

First, the bouquet: bury your face in the on-the-plant bud - quite a delight. There's no trace of 'skunky' smell; the bud has a strong fruity aroma, with highlights of mint and cinammon.

Trichs: Plentiful, all the leaves are quite sticky; quite visibly clear under the 25X eyepiece. Resin sticks to fingers and has a hashy smell reminiscent of Peshawar Black.

Test: Quick-dried at 50C for one hour. A little rough as expected, but quite mild overall. Hint of fruit. Also reminiscent of black hash.

Test amount: 1J.
Music: Skratch and techno sound amazing.

Comments: Strong rush. Need to sit down. Motor system disconnect about 30% - probably due to immaturity and quick dry. Spacey sort of stone.

Tested both Aurora moms over the holiday. They both are the same size, started flower the same time. Both are good, but one defiinitely aces the other. The top mom is about 2-3 weeks from harvest now, trichs mainly clear, some cloudy - I quick dried two buds.

Noticeably psychedelic rush. Went to clean teeth & freshen mouth after smoke, and the toothbrush seemed as rough as a large piece of brick. Purple glow around car tail lights. Have to wait a few weeks before I can report on the hybrid, it is lagging behind the Aurora because of the sativa component of its makeup. Looks good though.

Your Aurora Indica's have a psychedelic rush??? I am growing that now myself and have never smoked it before. I thought it would be more of a kick you in the gut and leave you for dead high ;) Your plants look great leafminer!!!!

Thanks, you're very kind. I'll post a photo shortly of one of the clones vs. the hybrid, they both went on to 12/12 at the same time but now they look quite different.

The Aurora when mature has a tremendous body rush - it is as if it disconnects the motor systems from the brain. I can sit there thinking "this movie is crap" but actually doing something like reaching for the remote seems impossible. It's also one of these "sleep like a child" hits as Andy put it in a recent post. Two hits is quite enough of the mature bud, if you want to be able to move around.

The young bud though, is quite a different hit. I can move about and do stuff, but I would *not* want to try driving for instance ... it comes on with quite a rush. Last night's test, after the rush, I staggered in from the garden and went upstairs to brush my teeth and stuck the toothbrush in my mouth and immediately ripped it out again because my sensations were as if I'd taken a big rough piece of masonry and jammed that in my mouth ... the mirror was weird too. Can't say if it is purely the Aurora or that this pheno triggers off buried effects from ancient acid trips! :D Anyway, despite the low yield I am definitely continuing with this strain because it is as good as anything I've ever sampled, and better than most. Having said that, there are many many new strains I have yet to try; but space and time are limited...

Here are some pics of the Aurora and hybrid. The Aurora is one of the clones - I let it grow naturally. The hybrid is from a seedling (Aurora indica * Mexican Oaxaca sativa) and was LSTd early on - that's why it looks 'bent' and has that side branch structure.
Both of these were put into flower at the same time. Time since 12/12 = 6 weeks.
The first three pics are Aurora, the last three are the hybrid. The slightly burnt leaves on the hybrid are from the lamps, not the nutes.

aur1.jpg

aur-cola1.jpg

aur-cola2.jpg

hybrid1.jpg

hybridcola.jpg

hybridcola2.jpg

8 1/2 weeks - great, thanks for the info. I have felt like a special ed version of Sherlock Holmes crouched with the 25x eyepiece wondering when the trichs will turn cloudy. And, wow, 60 to 70"! Was that hydro? I am seriously impressed.

I assume the plant has been in flower for 7 - 8 weeks and the trichs are mainly cloudy. I've run two grows now and rarely do the trichs turn amber, so don't use the "trichs have to turn amber" rule with this strain. Cloudy is fine. Use your judgement: your mileage may vary.

Day 1: a bud cruelly ripped from the plant and quick-dried in a toaster oven.
Smoke: Cough cough ...
Smell: As per below (1 week) plus minty-chlorophyll.
Stone: It'll give you a buzz and that's about it.

Day 3: Still not quite dry enough to smoke, so the sample had to be quick dried under very low heat.
Smoke: Somewhat rough.
Smell: as per day 1
Stone: you can tell you're stoned; but it's a kind of dislocation in reality rather than a stone or a high. You don't feel high but on the other hand, you know you don't want to drive a car anywhere.

1 week: It's just about dry enough to crumble, with a little difficulty. Smell: citrus, hint of chile pepper, hashy. Very attractive fresh aroma. Smoke: mild, reminiscent of Pak.Blk. hash.
Stone: Enjoyable, active, not a couch-lock, similar to a good commercial such as Big Bud. Usually smoke a full j to achieve desired effect.

2 weeks: (Just in jar) Texture pretty much perfect, easy to crumble, yet flexible.
Smell: as 1 week, except reduced in strength, more hashy.
Smoke: smooth, hashy.
Stone: strong, physical, developing. Usually half a j is plenty.

6 weeks: Texture a little dry, easy to overcrumble.
Smell: cinnamon, hash, mint, pepper
Smoke: very smooth, mature
Stone: body rush; produces disconnect of motor functions (couch lock); sedative; calming; promotes sleep. Two tokes is plenty.

I find myself coming to the conclusion that the single most important thing involved in the creation of rock-star bud is the curing time.

Latest posts

Back