Authorities push pot growers out of Ky. forest

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FruityBud

Reaction score
The point man in the federal government's marijuana eradication program in the central Appalachians is claiming victory in a sprawling Kentucky national forest that once led the nation in pot production, but the illegal crop still is thriving on private lands deeper in the mountain range.

A crackdown has pushed growers off the 700,000-acre Daniel Boone National Forest and onto even more rugged terrain where they're just as unwelcome, said Ed Shemelya, head of marijuana eradication in the Appalachian High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area.

Shemelya said teams of forest rangers, state police, federal agents and military troops who scoured the Daniel Boone this year found only 17,000 plants, a tiny crop compared to the 250,000 plants a year that were eradicated from the forest a decade ago before they began an initiative dubbed "Up In Smoke.''

National forests in other parts of the country haven't been so successful. Of the 10 million plants confiscated nationwide this year, half were found in national forests, primarily in California.

"It was common knowledge that you just didn't venture onto the Boone between May and October,'' Shemelya said. "It's much safer now.''

That's not the case on the private land -- much of it owned by logging and mining companies -- where authorities confiscated nearly $2 billion worth of marijuana this year. Shemelya said eradication teams cut and burned nearly 1 million plants, each with a street value at maturity of about $2,000.

In September, helicopter spotters in Tennessee found more than 150,000 marijuana plants growing on a mountainside near the Kentucky border. That find pushed Tennessee's marijuana plant eradication total to 447,000, the largest take of any Appalachian state this year. Officers found an additional 307,000 plants in the mountains of eastern Kentucky and 230,000 in West Virginia.

Shemelya said nearly 45 percent of the plants confiscated in central Appalachia were found in remote areas where loggers had cut trees, creating openings for sunlight to reach the ground.

Magoffin County Sheriff Bob Jordan and his deputies even cut about $500,000 worth of marijuana over the summer from abandoned surface mines in his mountainous jurisdiction in eastern Kentucky.

"That's normally where we get a good 85 percent of our marijuana,'' Jordan said. "I go after it hard. Always have.''

Mining and logging have been a boon for growers because they create openings in the dense hardwood forests that provide both ample sunlight and near perfect hiding places for the clandestine crops.

"The growers are very adept at making it very difficult to locate and to get to to eradicate,'' Shemelya said. "It is one of the most difficult jobs you will ever do in law enforcement.''

The days when police found patches of marijuana growing in backyard gardens are largely gone in Appalachia, he said. With the crackdown on federal land, tougher drug laws that call for forfeiture of homes and property, growers tend to plant their crops on someone else's land.

Helicopter-guided, camo-clad officers must use Humvees and all-terrain vehicles or hike through steep, rugged terrain to get to the high altitude pot patches that have become safety concerns for civilians who spend time on the mountains for work or recreation.

Preston McLain, an organizer of the Harlan County Ridgerunners ATV club in Kentucky, said riders who explore the mountain ranges are constantly warned to stay on marked trails while traveling across abandoned mine lands to avoid possible booby traps and agitated growers.

"If you get off on an unmarked trail, there's no telling what they can run into,'' he said.

**** Brantigan, a private forester based in Winchester, said he has happened across two marijuana plantations in logging areas in the past five years. In each case, the marijuana was hidden among thick undergrowth.

"Sometimes,'' he said, "you'll walk through it without even realizing it.''

hxxp://tinyurl.com/yjcasrr

Then how do you know you walked through it? :confused:

AcesUp said:

Then how do you know you walked through it? :confused:

I think some people may look to see where they have came from.(They turn around)

FruityBud said:
Shemelya said teams of forest rangers, state police, federal agents and military troops who scoured the Daniel Boone this year found only 17,000 plants, a tiny crop compared to the 250,000 plants a year that were eradicated from the forest a decade ago before they began an initiative dubbed "Up In Smoke.''

hxxp://tinyurl.com/yjcasrr

How can they keep getting away with this??? By our constitution they cannot wield our own military against us. But I have seen this over and over again. I have had Hewie's fly so low over my home in Southern Oregon that I could see the smiles on the faces of the troops sitting in the doorway of the chopper when I would flip them off! Soldiers that were holding M-16 Machine guns!! EDIT!:farm: Free the farmers!

"They are growing a weed! That is so dangerous!! My god!, troops, grab your machine guns!!" -Uncle Sam

Most of the "pot" they got in "the Boone" was Ky No high. It was wild hemp that has grown in the area since the days that growing hemp was legal. You could smoke til the end of time and not get anything but a headache.

Growrilla Grower said:
How can they keep getting away with this??? By our constitution they cannot wield our own military against us. But I have seen this over and over again. I have had Hewie's fly so low over my home in Southern Oregon that I could see the smiles on the faces of the troops sitting in the doorway of the chopper when I would flip them off! Soldiers that were holding M-16 Machine guns!! F#@k Them!:farm: Free the farmers!

"They are growing a weed! That is so dangerous!! My god!, troops, grab your machine guns!!" -Uncle Sam

Sworn to defend our country against all enemies, foreign and domestic. Unless otherwise ordered.

FruityBud said:
In September, helicopter spotters in Tennessee found more than 150,000 marijuana plants growing on a mountainside near the Kentucky border. That find pushed Tennessee's marijuana plant eradication total to 447,000, the largest take of any Appalachian state this year. Officers found an additional 307,000 plants in the mountains of eastern Kentucky and 230,000 in West Virginia.
Hmmm thats very close by... Might have to go on a lil adventure. haha

Ive been smoking dirt for a lil while now haha. I currently have no money to start a indoors grow and it getting way too cold to start a outside grow :(

Kush man it's HEMP you could light a joint from Cali to New york and never get a buzz.

It didnt say anything about hemp in the article, they used the words marijuana and pot.

Man every year in Ky,WV and Va they harvest the wild hemp fields and tell people it is Marijuana. When they are not finding anything, they go to the same places and make a big deal about it. They use the wild hemp to bump their numbers up to get more money to fight the war on drugs.

ozzydiodude said:
Man every year in Ky,WV and Va they harvest the wild hemp fields and tell people it is Marijuana. When they are not finding anything, they go to the same places and make a big deal about it. They use the wild hemp to bump their numbers up to get more money to fight the war on drugs.
Ahhhhh I see now. I did not know that. Thanks for the information. Thats dumb that theyd do that tho. Makes no sense.

-C@jun- said:
Sworn to defend our country against all enemies, foreign and domestic. Unless otherwise ordered.

Domestic has nothing to do with the American Public. American Public/civilian community in any sense is not an "enemy of the state."

Uncle Same can do whatever he wants basically. Whatever and how ever. Want to see a wild card go to court.
Bend laws and violate the american public's/civilian's civil rights for personal benifit and greed.
Born Free Taxed To Death!

There's a LOT of KILLER KY bud... and it's been a banner year for yields and quality. Weekly rainfalls throughout the summer and less than normal heat all helped things really flourish... and kept things much more hid deeper into fall when the landscape is typically not anywhere near as green in the fall as it was this year. ;) Marijuana has been KY's #1 cash crop for decades... nothing new there... Kentucky Thunder and just about any strain I've had from good outdoor growers is dank as it gets and a really good bang for the buck... especially when there's a glut in the fall. I only had a few tastes this year as I've been growing and have plenty of personal stash in jars... but i traded a pal for a couple of quarters of this year's crop from western KY and it was killer... both were Sativa dom... cut down last week of Oct... great body highs...

I have an old high school friend who had to do a stint in a Fed prison 15 yrs ago and he told me he met many guys in their 30s-70s who were in the can for growing outdoors and more than a few of them were from KY... Talk about a waste of resources every year "fighting" outdoor pot growing.
icon9.gif
Geez. Hopefully the Feds officially keeping their nose out of med mj will lead to stopping more and more pointless persecution of this amazing plant...

Peace!:cool:

-C@jun- said:
Uncle Same can do whatever he wants basically. Whatever and how ever. Want to see a wild card go to court.
Bend laws and violate the american public's/civilian's civil rights for personal benifit and greed.
Born Free Taxed To Death!

How true, How true!! Lady justice has been turned out like a $5 Ho! And at the tax payer's expense!!!

PUFF MONKEY said:
huey's ?? lol

Huey's are a kind of Hellicopter incase you did not know... They were used etensively during the Vietnam era and are still used today. It is the #1 chopper for Marijuana Policing

Latest posts

Back