Auto stem rotting overnight???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Growin_4_It

Grower in training
Reaction score
Well this morning I found my little auto AK47 x Hindu Kush with half the stem gone??? :confused:

What is going on?? Could it be mold?? Could I treat it with hydroen peroxide and support it with a straw?

Thanks!

Sorry I thought a little more info might be needed......

Soil is FFOF
She is in week 1 of flower
She gets FF fert with Vit B-1 at 1/2 strength every other watering or so
I cannot see any bugs anywhere.....indoor grow

Thanks again

Stem2cr.jpg

Stemcr.jpg

ouch, ya that looks like rr to me. Man ya gotta let the soil dry out. Try fillin the same size pot up w/ dry dirt/soil then lift 1 w/ a plant.Lift the dry 1 , now the 1 w/ the plant. Let them get some dry time. Water only when on the light side.
Wkats up w/ the 1 in the back ground n def. lookin 2 me

DirtySouth said:
ouch, ya that looks like rr to me. Man ya gotta let the soil dry out. Try fillin the same size pot up w/ dry dirt/soil then lift 1 w/ a plant.Lift the dry 1 , now the 1 w/ the plant. Let them get some dry time. Water only when on the light side.
Wkats up w/ the 1 in the back ground n def. lookin 2 me

I did water yesterday and today 1/2 the stem is gone but I did think it was dry....I'll let her dry out MORE. Got any ideas on how to treat her?

The one in the background is a clone rooting. Thanks for noticing. :D

I would cut a straw the length from the ground to the node. Then slice it down the middle from top down. Bamb instant splint. Um as far as a fix for the r.r.? IDK? sorry.

Hello Growin_4_It :) :aok:

It looks like something has been having a good gnaw at the stem.

Have you seen any insects?

:peace:

2 2 stem.JPG

HippyInEngland said:
Hello Growin_4_It :) :aok:

It looks like something has been having a good gnaw at the stem.

Have you seen any insects?

I havent seen any bugs at all.

HippyInEngland said:
Have you lifted the plant out of its pot and had a look at its roots?

No I havent........But now I did just for you.
Everythink looks ok......dirt is wet.

What do you think?

bottom.jpg

Seems to me something has been chewing on it too. Like part of the stem is missing. Any chance of mice there? I dont know where you have those plants. If they are outside, there are bugs that could do that. I found a top half chewed off a tomato plant the other day....just hangin' there by a thread, so to speak. Looked simular to what you got there.

tcbud said:
Seems to me something has been chewing on it too. Like part of the stem is missing. Any chance of mice there? I dont know where you have those plants. If they are outside, there are bugs that could do that. I found a top half chewed off a tomato plant the other day....just hangin' there by a thread, so to speak. Looked simular to what you got there.

They are indoors in a veg room, which is inside office, which is inside the garage. I dont know how a mouse would get in and out of there.

What I have had in there in the past has been crickits....would they eat plant stems?

Bshack79 is giving you an option, or you could leave it above soil and splint it.

Has the removed soft flesh of the stem started to heal yet?

bshack79 said:
I would bury the broken part in deeper and let the fresh part take hold.. but thats just me...

How would you do this? By adding more dirt to the pot it is in now until the damaged area is covered? OR would you transplant the whole plant into another pot?

HippyInEngland said:
Bshack79 is giving you an option, or you could leave it above soil and splint it.

Has the removed soft flesh of the stem started to heal yet?

Currently I have it splinted with a straw as DirtySouth has suggested.

I am not sure if healing has started beacuse of the straw covering it. I wanted to give it a few days to gain strength before I go messin with the straw again. I am afraid I will snap the little thing off completely. :eek:

You can do as you say, add soil. It may survive. You would be wanting the roots to start from the old growth. Simular to cloning. I would put at least an inch of soil, maybe a bit more, that is why they said repot (I think). Similar to transplanting seedling into larger container.
As for crickets, yes they eat greenery. My worst enemy in my garden is crickets and grashoppers. I have had crickets inside that have eaten my potted palm before. They eat, they get bigger, they eat more. Darn bugs.

Well....the little auto looked a little stressed today so I decided to take off the splint and it looked like it was trying to root so I brushed on a little root stimulater to the stem and added some moist dirt to the pot until the damaged area was covered.

I hope I made her feel better. I'll check on her again in the morning.

Growin_4_It said:
Well....the little auto looked a little stressed today so I decided to take off the splint and it looked like it was trying to root so I brushed on a little root stimulater to the stem and added some moist dirt to the pot until the damaged area was covered.

I hope I made her feel better. I'll check on her again in the morning.

Yes brother, yes. This is GOOD! LOL. Seriously peep out the bottom 0-6" above the dirt/soil/medium. See those lil bumpy things, Those are in all actuallity roots that have been "air pruned" die to light and direct air. By adding the splint(good stuff) you took away the root killing factors. Now what I suggest is adding those "splints" to deture lil varments from having knawing acess. This is a great technic for stretched seedlings.

tcbud said:
You can do as you say, add soil. It may survive. You would be wanting the roots to start from the old growth. Simular to cloning. I would put at least an inch of soil, maybe a bit more, that is why they said repot (I think). Similar to transplanting seedling into larger container.
As for crickets, yes they eat greenery. My worst enemy in my garden is crickets and grashoppers. I have had crickets inside that have eaten my potted palm before. They eat, they get bigger, they eat more. Darn bugs.

Yep, only thing worse is their itty bitty jumpin offspring. Those lil buggers can eat a lot.

Latest posts

Back