Bad Seeds?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whiskey Agogo

Hot Chick
Reaction score
I bought some white widow seeds, 20 in all-10 from one place, 10 from another.
I planted the first 10 and they all sprouted and are vegging out.
Five days ago I planted 5 seeds from the other batch and none have sprouted.:mad: Are these ones duds? I'm kind of bitter because they were expensive. Also, I have 5 of this seemingly dud batch left....is there any way to tell if a seed is viable or do I just have to try and germinate and see what happens?
I'm a first time grower.

hey man, your first grow?

you have to germinate before seeds will sprout anyawy, i mean you could try placing them in your grow medium and water, and who knows they might sprout, but wrap them in some tissue paper, moisten and put in a container in a moderately warm place and by the next morning you should hopefully start to see signs of the shell cracking and a 3 or 4 mm root tip.

you wanna leave them to germinate until there is at least half a cm of root tip, then place into your growing medium root tip down.

what is your set up? take it your growing indoors as you posted in the indoor section, you doing hydro or soil? explain about your set up,

also where did you get the seeds? if they were shop bought and you paid good money, the chance is there gonna be good, are they a nice brown?

the_riz said:
hey man, your first grow?

you have to germinate before seeds will sprout anyawy, i mean you could try placing them in your grow medium and water, and who knows they might sprout, but wrap them in some tissue paper, moisten and put in a container in a moderately warm place and by the next morning you should hopefully start to see signs of the shell cracking and a 3 or 4 mm root tip.

you wanna leave them to germinate until there is at least half a cm of root tip, then place into your growing medium root tip down.

what is your set up? take it your growing indoors as you posted in the indoor section, you doing hydro or soil? explain about your set up,

also where did you get the seeds? if they were shop bought and you paid good money, the chance is there gonna be good, are they a nice brown?

I adopted the method described on high times grow journal: that is, I put a mix of vermiculite and soil into some cups with holes poked in the bottom. Then I planted the seed about 1-2 mm beneath the soil. I keep the cups in a warm dark place and spritz them with water in the morning to keep them moist.
High times recommends that first time growers should not germinate in paper towels since there is too much that can go wrong (according to them they can dry out plus they get traumatized when you plant them). Do you agree with that? I just followed their advice because I don't know *** I'm doing. It also said not to soak the seeds overnight, but I've read elsewhere that you should do this.
Anyway, this method worked great with the first batch, so I'm not sure what happened.

The seeds both came from shops in Amsterdam. They are nice and brown, but the second batch (the ones that wont seem to sprout) are a lot smaller than the first batch. Both were sold to me as white widow and were pretty pricey.

Should I switch germination methods or just soak them, then try again? I only have 5 seeds left.

if it was me i'd give it a try with a couple, i think the ratio of seeds not germinating properly is about 20% so you should at least get one, if it works, then it works..

but thats me, as for soaking the towel, i dunno, we did it but then again were using an NFT system here where the roots spread via the root matting under the grow cubes, if your doing it in soil i guess there not gonna be 24-7 drinking, which might have an impact on how they cope then there planted... but i really dont know im just guessing.

Thanks the riz, I appreciate the advice.

One more question for you or anyone else out there: I am growing for personal consumption only. My husband and I both like to smoke out daily. How many plants do I need?

In other words, how much bud does one plant generate? I'm sure it varies from plant to plant, but in general how many females do I need?

Anyone?

i think you need to watch a video, i think it would give you a much clearer idea of what to do, i went on a complete rampage looking for information and found loads, theres a few good videos to download on www.torrentspy.com theres also a load on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9YFlmmRenY

depending on how your growing (outside, inside, hydroponics, soil etc) you should search for a grow guide..

oh, and you dont want any males, males produce hemp as opposed to females which produce bud. you wanna kill and get rid of any males you find as they produce pollon that will spread onto your females and begin to change the sex, ruining your bud.

for seed germenation give this a try with a couple of them. get a small tuppewear container, place the wet paper towels with the seeds inside the paper towels, place the wet paper towels with the seeds inside in the tupperware container and seal it up. then place a large towel around it so it blocks out the light, then place it on top of your nice warm computer monitor. i have had about a 99% success rate this way. the tupperware will keep the moisture in and wont let the towels dry out.

as far as plant yeild, it all depends on your grow conditions. the more light you have the better your yeild will be. also depends on how big your grow space is, its really hard to say cause there are so many variables to it. but say roughly under rough conditions you should get at least a ounce out of each plant, under good conditions and the right amount of light you could get way way more from them.

you have to germinate before seeds will sprout anyawy,
..I never "germinate" outside of the medium I plan to grow in. "I" don't believe the "extra" stepnecessary, and feel that the extra touching, moveing, disrupting is possibly detrimental in some cases.

kill and get rid of any males you find as they produce pollon that will spread onto your females and begin to change the sex,
males produce pollen that fertilizes the females..which produce seeds..nothing to do with changing sex..

Latest posts

Back