ballest and lights

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoolGuy

Reaction score
do ballest and lights have to have the same watt rating? i understand you cant install a 1000w light in a 400w ballest and expect it to work, but can you reverse that without any damage? say a 600w ballast and a 400w light.

also is it worth the extra money for a digital ballast rather then a normal mag switchable one?

what im currently look at is this http://cgi.ebay.com/DIGITAL-ELECTRONIC-GROW-LIGHT-600-watt-HPS-MH-BALLAST-w_W0QQitemZ180197999344QQihZ008QQcategoryZ42225QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

When it comes to that high of a wattage, your home, and heat, and electrical I would definitly want my lights matched with my ballast, and vise-versa.
Purchase wisely, and be safe at all costs.
smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

The transformer, capacitor, and starter/ignitor (HPS only) are sized according to the bulb wattage. I would say that you could run a smaller bulb (600w) from a larger ballast (1000w) without a problem, but I wouldn't do it personally.

Digital ballasts are nice. They are more efficient than magnetic ballasts. If you can afford it, go for it.

The ballast can also be configured for 120vac or 240vac. I prefer to run 240vac because it is more efficient than 120vac and the reduced current draw allows more circuits per breaker, which can be a problem when building larger systems.

No, it doesn't make any noticeable difference in your electric bill either way; I'll show you the math if necessary.

cool, one more question.

if i am to buy this digital ballast, do i need to get a starter/ignitor as well. on that link i gave it says hps+mh but doesnt say switchable. is that device built into a ballast?

i did read it fully and it says it operates both but that wording makes me think it may be missing your ignitor.

CoolGuy said:
cool, one more question.

if i am to buy this digital ballast, do i need to get a starter/ignitor as well. on that link i gave it says hps+mh but doesnt say switchable. is that device built into a ballast?

i did read it fully and it says it operates both but that wording makes me think it may be missing your ignitor.

Nope, it's done internally. Swap the bulb (handle with gloves and/or wipe with alcohol before use) and flip the switch to the appropriate position. Switchable ballasts are nice.

CoolGuy said:
cool, one more question.

I just followed the link. That looks like a nice ballast; it doesn't use a switch, it will auto-detect the bulb-type and configure itself accordingly. Grab that badboy and let us know how the ballast works when you make you grow journal!

Latest posts

Back