Big Bad Bear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peglegdeb

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience w/ bear bothering their plants? My plants are very close to being done and I have tried Irish Spring soap, mothballs and dryer sheets. Have a couple of plants that they actually ripped a few branches off and dropped on the ground. This is probably my fault as I didn't realize I was planting near berry bushes at the time. Nevertheless, would like to protect what's left!

Reach in your pants pull it out and do your thing around your plants. Don't do it right on them but about 1 to 2 feet from them. You can also try using some human, dog or cat hair. ;)
peglegdeb said:
Does anyone have any experience w/ bear bothering their plants? My plants are very close to being done and I have tried Irish Spring soap, mothballs and dryer sheets. Have a couple of plants that they actually ripped a few branches off and dropped on the ground. This is probably my fault as I didn't realize I was planting near berry bushes at the time. Nevertheless, would like to protect what's left!

Yeah great idea TBG. Bears are top of the food chain out there and they know that. The only thing they might be afraid of is the smell of humans or dogs, only because of the correlation of dogs and hunters. I was gonna say get some Cougar piss but I don't know if that will work for sure. Good luck on that.

Thanks- I've heard that before but so far I'm usually in and outta there just as fast as I can check the plants. Take my dog w/ me (a lg. German Shepard) but don't want her to run into the bear either. Maybe a jarfull filled in the comfort of my own home...hmmm...

Cougar urine?? Now that's one I hadn't heard. I don't think dog urine would do it. The smell of my dog is all over down there and it hasn't seemed to deter the bear. But I like your suggestion...now, where to get cougar urine...hmmm...

That will work. ;) I would brush your dog up real good and get some of the hair also and bring it with ya.
peglegdeb said:
Maybe a jarfull filled in the comfort of my own home...hmmm...

Your kidding?? The FIRST person I have actually talked to that has the same problem. So far it's been only second-hand accounts I've read about. What if anything do you do?? or maybe they don't bother your plants?? I could see the day after I shaved pieces of Irish Spring Soap all aroung my plants that the bear were walking around all the plants- keeping to the perimemter of the plot but that only lasted a few days. So I hung strips of dryer sheets from some of the branches...and didn't that feel wrong...like I was flying a white flag saying 'here I am- come steal my plants or bust me.
That was 3 days ago.

DOG HAIR!! Ya know she's been shedding like crazy getting ready for winter and I've been bagging most of it up as I brush her so it's not absolutely everywhereI'm gonna get get one of those bags and take it w/ me this afternoon. Thank you

BBP: I nearly choked to death..... weed bear..... LMFAO....

Capt. Skinx said:
BBP: I nearly choked to death..... weed bear..... LMFAO....
Me too- like I said though- should have looked at the picture FIRST! Really thought he had the same problem but now I see that he's got an altogether different sort of 'problem!' PLD

bombbudpuffa said:
Just a joke. Hope I didn't upset you, peace:).
No, not at all- was disappointed at first but got a laugh outta your bear- if only i could get my bears to try that...I'm sure they'd stop destroying my plants. PLD

just a thought but i think itll work.. bear mase!..... like the stuff that dog the bounty hunter uses.. im sure u can prolly order it offline or maybe find it in a sporting goods store..

oh yea.. and i probably wouldnt spray it on your plants.. just because i dont know whats in that stuff it might harm them.. but maybe spray it all over the area where the bear might want to eat and stuff.. spray it on other plants and bushes and trees.. and also u can try that dog hair stuff too.. be careful to not get the bear mase on u.. that would **** lol

Siccmade said:
oh yea.. and i probably wouldnt spray it on your plants.. just because i dont know whats in that stuff it might harm them.. but maybe spray it all over the area where the bear might want to eat and stuff.. spray it on other plants and bushes and trees.. and also u can try that dog hair stuff too.. be careful to not get the bear mase on u.. that would **** lol
Hey Sicc- now that's an idea too. Spread the dog hair around late yesterday afternoon. Bear mace- ya know- I never thought of that. Just want to get my babies outta the ground before the bears ruin them...well, w/o running into the bear in person either.
Thanks for the suggestion. PLD

Dog hair for sure......get some wood ashes too!
Moth balls and a container of used motor oil!

That'll do the trick~

Lady Green said:
Dog hair for sure......get some wood ashes too!
Moth balls and a container of used motor oil!

That'll do the trick~
Thanks Lady G- I've used moth balls (and moth flakes); have a wood stove so wood ashes will get a try too- never heard that one before. Also had not heard about used motor oil- but, hey, I'll give that a shot too. Again, thanks for the input.

Are you sure it is bears that are harming your plants. I am up to my *** in bears around here, have even had them take the garbage can off my deck and crap in my driveway but have never had them touch my plants. Rabbits and deer though are another story, for them I use scoot.

Latest posts

Back