Both plant look very different

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

choxie

Reaction score
So I got both seeds from Greenpoint purple punch s1. They're sprouted 2 months apart. The earlier one sat outside in the cold and basically didn't grow for a month. When I got a tent a month later then I started the second seed and then they were eventually transplanted into 3 gallon fabric pots for a bit then into octopots. Is this weird that they're this different or did I possible get different seeds?

One plant has very small dark green purple leaves with heavy frosting and the buds are almost non existent at week 7 flower
The other has dense buds but is light green with some yellowing. (This is the first plant sprouted)
Trichromes are both clear currently and they're fed the same schedule of veg + bloom and flower fuel at 1200 ppm at a pH of average 6.2 ish.

Do you think there's any user error or just that's the genetics of the seed? The frosty one has some much trichs but barely any bud (mostly small leaves) and the other has dense buds but isn't really too frosty.

Attachments

• IMG_20220427_164133.jpg
    IMG_20220427_164133.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20220427_164455.jpg
    IMG_20220427_164455.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20220427_164513.jpg
    IMG_20220427_164513.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 14
Hello choxie that 2nd plant is nice and frosty. Welcome to marijuana passion. Come and visit Island Of Misfits. Happy growing.

They sure look like different strains to me, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was the different growing conditions.

My two dosidos look totally different one tall and just bushing out, one shorter and bushy. Looks like two different strains but I had a lot of trouble getting these dosidos to pop in fact took 8 seeds to get two plants. ILGM offered to replace the Seeds. I don’t want seeds from that lot again for sure. Way to frustrating

Greenpoints description says you will see different phenotypes. They may take different times to mature so the plant with fewer buds(they both look to have a fair amount of buds to me), will likely catch up. Breeders frequently oversell the flower time. Greenpoint states 7-8 weeks of flower are possible. Possible not definite. Look at it this way, you will have a variety of bud to smoke. They will probably give different buzzes so you are lucky in that respect.
5898F4E9-C2F3-4F4C-AB37-61F2011E9AD1.jpeg

One looks like it is a granddaddy purple and the other like a Larry OG. Genetics are an interesting, complex science where some ‘oops’ wind up as pond scum and others as human(in some cases they are one and the same). It is debatable which ‘oops’ is better…

I am convinced that every plant even those clones taken from the same mother had her own personality. I have two clones in flower that should be twins from the same mother plant but are growing and even smelling totally different. One plant healthy looking stacked with slight smell and the other with ugly crispy leaves very sticky buds and smells kinda like a tire store to me I know that sounds weird… I’m expecting the sticky one to be ready first but who knows

pollen chuckers make poly-hybrids that have many expressions , even some recessive traits will pop up

the poly-hybrids to say the least are a far cry from lines that have been worked to an F5 generation , stabilized strandivars

pollen chuckers make poly-hybrids that have many expressions , even some recessive traits will pop up

the poly-hybrids to say the least are a far cry from lines that have been worked to an F5 generation , stabilized strandivars

These are supposed to be s1’s but I suppose it may depend on the stability of the f1(or whatever f integer the parents of the s1’s are). Not every breeder has the attention to detail that you do.

I am convinced that every plant even those clones taken from the same mother had her own personality. I have two clones in flower that should be twins from the same mother plant but are growing and even smelling totally different. One plant healthy looking stacked with slight smell and the other with ugly crispy leaves very sticky buds and smells kinda like a tire store to me I know that sounds weird… I’m expecting the sticky one to be ready first but who knows
Clones expressing differences is pretty rare if all things are equal(light, grow medium, nutrients, environment). S1’s are supposed to be seeds from self pollinated plants(thanks to @OGKushman for making me research f and s genetic definitions) so they are more likely to give seeds that have different phenotypes mixed in(from what I have read, not from experience).

F1 and F2 can be unpredictable. Any traits from the grandparents or parents appear to be expressed.

My first self pollinated seeds (s1) still showed slightly different phenotypes but the range of expression was drastically narrowed. Basically - I could toss every nug from s1 breeding and on into the same container and not even a seasoned connoisseur would be able to tell any noticeable difference in appearance. In a blind test, flavor is so identical that no one has been able to tell them apart.

But - my s1’s still show slightly different traits. It’s when I self pollinated a plant that was self pollinated to begin with from seed (s2+) did the inbreeding create an apparently identically genetic copy of itself.

The purple stem leaves I posted below are s1, the looong stem ones are also s1😮 from the same breeding but different seeds. Again, the buds are identical as far as smell look and flavor. The only apparent difference is stretch and a yield.

It’s been a lot of fun playing with Mendelian pea plant genetic theory and attempting to apply it to my own plant breeding. I’m sure I’ve miscalculated something, I’m not a geneticist but I’m learning. There is an obvious genetic fight for dominance in my OG as far as leaf, stem, and internodal stretch is concerned.

I’m still testing (flowering) to verify the s2 with stretch is a 100% stable female and consistently yields more. It’s looking that way which is exciting.

If your “stabilized female” seeds show huge variations like purple leaves with skunk stink and dense frosty nugs, and some seeds with green fluffy nugs and no frost that taste fruity, then find a new seed source. They are lying and selling F1/F2 labeled as something else.

Breeding and flowering/testing to S2 and beyond takes years. And I wouldn’t give a single one away as a freebie in an order if I had worked that hard to stabilize…something to think about.
8F8D0B20-5270-4BCB-9C65-42AD72CACCEA.jpeg

F1 and F2 can be unpredictable. Any traits from the grandparents or parents appear to be expressed.

My first self pollinated seeds (s1) still showed slightly different phenotypes but the range of expression was drastically narrowed. Basically - I could toss every nug from s1 breeding and on into the same container and not even a seasoned connoisseur would be able to tell any noticeable difference in appearance. In a blind test, flavor is so identical that no one has been able to tell them apart.

But - my s1’s still show slightly different traits. It’s when I self pollinated a plant that was self pollinated to begin with from seed (s2+) did the inbreeding create an apparently identically genetic copy of itself.

The purple stem leaves I posted below are s1, the looong stem ones are also s1😮 from the same breeding but different seeds. Again, the buds are identical as far as smell look and flavor. The only apparent difference is stretch and a yield.

It’s been a lot of fun playing with Mendelian pea plant genetic theory and attempting to apply it to my own plant breeding. I’m sure I’ve miscalculated something, I’m not a geneticist but I’m learning. There is an obvious genetic fight for dominance in my OG as far as leaf, stem, and internodal stretch is concerned.

I’m still testing (flowering) to verify the s2 with stretch is a 100% stable female and consistently yields more. It’s looking that way which is exciting.

If your “stabilized female” seeds show huge variations like purple leaves with skunk stink and dense frosty nugs, and some seeds with green fluffy nugs and no frost that taste fruity, then find a new seed source. They are lying and selling F1/F2 labeled as something else.

Breeding and flowering/testing to S2 and beyond takes years. And I wouldn’t give a single one away as a freebie in an order if I had worked that hard to stabilize…something to think about. View attachment 295332

what do you use for reversing your female plants?

what do you use for reversing your female plants?
Apocalyptic environmental conditioning 🤣

Be angry at her. Let her veg 24/0 then switch to 13/11 on a timer for 5 days then maybe 18/9 for some 27 hour days (manual light tripping) throw her back into 13/11 for a week before 10/14 lighting.

Play with it. You’ll convince the plant the end is here.🤣

Wow that's a good amount of info.

I never really thought of it more or less showing more of one parent than the other. I was just thinking that the light green one was dying since the other was so much darker and I guess healthier looking (also because its way more frosty)

Also thank you for the info about polys. I never really read into that. I thought S1 meant they'd be more or less all the same.

Latest posts

Back