broken stem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony8404

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Well, I have had some bad luck lately.... I started two bagseed plants at first one of them took off good and the other one stopped but still was not dead.

I decided to experiment with voodoo juice that i had bought a while back and this time i finally figured out how to use voodoo juice on these two plants.

I never had roots like this from the get go. one plant took off the other did not do so good do to the first leaf stuck with the shell, it would not just fall off i accidentally ripped the first leaf off with the shell and decided to see what happens.

Well, the first one was going great until i noticed the stupid rockwell cube started to loosen up where the stem came through so when ever i moved anything or the fan hit the stem to hard the plant would fall over. I tried to support it with some sticks which i thought would be okay for another week until i went with clay pellets and switched over to my dwc.

Well when cleaning out the water to put the last feeding before 12/12 I thought i know this stem is weak i better take the cube off and put some tape around the weak area.

Well turns out it was a thick stem but it got very narrow to where it started to go under the cube so after getting the cube off i washed it and then put stome tape around it. that is when i noticed the stem cracked and it was turning black. I thought i will try to save it. I taped it then put new water and nutrients then put the plant back.

Well, tonight i get home the leaves were completely drooping and now the roots went from white and nice healthy to a dark color and seems to have mushed together. it looks like it was in a very light brown mudd. i tried to wash it but no luck. I wonder now if it is because i put a 1/4 teaspoon of peroxide in the water to see if it would help the stem repair itself but i guess not...

My question is the other plant i thought was not going to make it turned around and is becoming a nice plant but since it was in with the dying plant i noticed that some of the roots tonight were getting that mudd look. Is it sick now? should i change the water again?

From what I can get out of your description it sounds like you have stem/root rot.

But I do not understand the removing of the cube? are you taking the cube off the roots?

The reason i took the cube off was because i could not totally see what was damaged on the base of the stem. At first i thought the rockwell cube hole that the stem was in seemed to have widened which i thought the plant just fell over. No broken stem, never had this problem before.

So as i was going to put in a new feeding into the resivior, I thought you know what check to make sure there is no damage. Well, as i peeled the cube away i then saw the regular stem and as soon as it went into the cube it narrowed down like a point of a number 2 pencil then it widen back up way in the cube but the rockwell cube was really really dark green like almost black!! I am not sure if the cube was roten or maybe from numerous times from falling over it just started to rot....

I think I am going to try something different than these rockwell cubes... any ideas?

i get that when I clone in rockwool if the cubes are too wet...Ive sinced used rapit rooters...best of luck

take care and be safe

well, i have been reading up for a bit now and I have found out a few things...

I remember that partial reason of me removing the rockwool cube from the pant was that the entire cube was dark green with some white on top of the cube. it looked like little threads.

The other thing i remember i,s from the part of the stem that was above the rockwool was thick but just below the rockwool it looked like an hour glass. I am starting to think it may have been from the algae or rot maybe from being too wet...

So i started looking into this and I realize that i never cover the top of the cube with just the stem sticking out from a hole. Plus, i need to keep the water below 70 degrees as now it is like 71-72 degrees. I do put a frozen water bottle in the freezer and then in the bubbler which brings it down to 65 degrees. My ph i keep between 4.7 - 5.5 when i see it get higher i will add a few drops of ph down.

Stir up and let settle then stir up again not to mention i have four aquarium air pumps going on three sand air stones and one just without anything but hose since that one got all clogged up. that helps mix it a bit i guess, then i retake ph reading with my ph pen.

Little while later, I check on them and the leafs are pointing straight up and looks great! I think i just need to concentrate now on water temps and covering up the hole to the stem of plant to prevent algae.

I am thinking it was root rot... I mean last night the roots still looked great.. tonight man they looked all deep tan color and sorta slimy and not to mention i could see the individual roots yesterday but tonight it was all a big mess. Even the new gallon of water mixed with next stage of nutes looked like it wont be good for the little guy now.

One other thing i just remembered I did put in a 1/4 teaspoon peroxide thinking it would help but maybe i over did it?

Man I am sad but high as hell right now!

hey guys i found a pic similar to what my stem looked like. Except my stem was not black like that pic but was in the center of the stem because i could see through the split in the stem from the bending over a few times.

Here is the link http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57834

but you will see the hour glass figure i was speaking of that is what i had but not black like his were.

You destroyed the roots in removing the cube--you can never hope to remove something like a rockwool cube from a plant and expect it to survive. It your cube was green and white you had algae. I am not sure where you got the info in post 5, but some of it is not good. Algae is caused by exposure to light, so bury the cubes as far down as you can in the rockwool. Are you using new pots? How big?. The entire cube needs to be covered to prevent algae. If the cube is too wet, you have other problems. You do need to keep res temps down and if your temps were high, this most likely caused root rot if you had it. But too little air can also cause this, so make sure your buckets or totes are really bubbling. Your pH needs to be kept between about 5.3 for a low and 6.0 for a high. A pH of 4.7 is way too low and even 5.5 is on the low side, although for phosphorus and manganese uptake I like to let me pH get to 5.3. I am linking a chart that shows nutrient uptake at different pH levels. You should also have some way of checking your PPMs.

Congrats on the survivor. You had multiple problems and you are probably lucky that your other plant survived. Hydro does take a lot of knowledge and hands on to keep everything within certain parameters. Can we get a pic of your plant?

I have edited your post to take out the direct link. Please post links as I have. EditAs 4U has pointed out, this is an MP link. Sorry and I have fixed my error.

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1833&d=1141100090

I have edited your post to take out the direct link. Please post links as I have.

whats wrong with the link?...its here at MP....no need to change ...http:..:confused:

:doh: Thanks, 4U, I must have still been asleep.

My apologies to Tony. I will change it back.

Latest posts

Back