Buds galore, but why gain no weight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parcero

Viajero
Reaction score
Hi

I´m finishing my grow and found out that my well looking, nicely grown plants and buds are weighless, airy. Very disapponted ofcourse, came totally behind the corner; airy buds, what, and they looked so good. Now I cant start anything new before I find out what have caused this? I dont want to find airlike buds again, never. Has anyone experienced this before and know what can/does cause this? Kept them dry lately but no way that dry, sure they would have withered before or not? I'm tormented because of this.
They're still in pots, doing the normal stuff,growing, excluding gaining weight. 9 and 1/2 week flower.

Million

Just let it keep growing ;) can't hurt....i've heard somewheres that insufficient lumens and spectrum may be to blame for airy buds....good luck

Hmmn, I have light. 1500w HPS and 500w fluoros, cant be that.

if you've got plenty of light then it's probably genetic.... do you know your genetics or is it bagseed?

well if ya got all that light, are you well ventilated, heat can also be to blame ;)

i would hope that running 2000 watts of lighting you'd have the heat under control before moving anything under the lights....

more than likely it's 1 of 2 things.... genetics or heat buildup....

... and heat has been under control. Just below the lights, canopy has been around 28celcius and fan blowing. Soil surface 20-22 and in 26 lately.

the genetics seem good.... possibly a bad batch.... seems like feminized seeds are becoming more miss than hit lately....

i want to say it's environment related by your temps seem in check too.... were they stressed any time during the grow that you can remember.... from a lot that i've read, and from past experiences, a good amount of stress around the 3rd-4th week of flowering, or anytime during flowering for that matter, can be detrimental to your plant as far as yield is concerned....

BTW, if the problem would be caused because of the heat, would it be fixed; meaning would they gain weight if I drop the heat?
All ears here, cant lose no more

and THANKS

if it is heat related, this time, no.... you're just going to delay your harvest is all.... i'm not sure what the F equivalent to C is in temps, but try to keep it right around 75-78F lights on and 70-75F lights off next time.... if you don't see an improvement then, i'd say it's more than likely genetic....

I see a couple things that will help on your next grow.

first off dont do what you did here. http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showpost.php?p=565814&postcount=52

Also get rid of the homemade reflectors your using and invest in good ones
the shallow cake pans are not cutting it.

Next I would enclose your space better with reflective material, I see one pic there next to a ladder, they look to be in the middle of the floor.

Really your buds look good but im sure you could improve them some.

Yes and yes, I did a rather late chopping of the lower growth on fifth week. Before that I didn´t really chop them at all so they were really bushy. True, maybe it´s that but I would have thought that they would just grow smaller. Growht was stunned for a while.
Maybe that, but then again I did not chop all of them. 3 are without, one of them only water fed and they the same. But sure I wont cut them that late next time.
The side branch in the pics on that link, as all the others what I chopped never reached the light at all.

And with the space, some of the pics are not taken in the normal grow situation lights full on, because it´s difficult to move when they´re set up correctly. But true again, they are in the middle of the room, aprox. 50cm from walls, but fluoro lights attached right next, 2-4 inches away on every side now when I´m not there. Before those lights around, walls were a bit closer.

i'm not sure what the F equivalent to C is in temps, but try to keep it right around 75-78F lights on and 70-75F lights off next time.... if you don't see an improvement then, i'd say it's more than likely genetic....

28celsius around 82f and 20-22 celsius is 68-72f or so.

Can a heavy colas get light because of somekind of mistreatment?
Odd, because before they seemed very heavy and hard and I saw one main cola collapse under my eyes, I was just tying a head upsidedown hangin lower branch when I noticed one main cola bending down, bending a bit more and then just gave up, snaped, not loose but totally lost ability to hold, bend upside donw like supercropped stem. Still they feel hard when you press them but light, light, light

Parcero said:
Hmmn, I have light. 1500w HPS and 500w fluoros, cant be that.

Whether it is enough light or not depends on how large a space you are lighting. How large is your room--it looks quite large? How many and what size are your HPS lights? The fluoros? There is no reflective material on the walls and you really should try to get better reflectors.

Although I only scanned your grow journal, you had some temperature and humidity problems and did some things that stressed your plants while they were in flowering--the transplant and the drastic chop job. All of this can contribute to airy buds and extended flowering time. Another thing that can contribute to airy buds is light leaks.

Whether it is enough light or not depends on how large a space you are lighting. How large is your room--it looks quite large? How many and what size are your HPS lights? The fluoros? There is no reflective material on the walls and you really should try to get better reflectors.

Although I only scanned your grow journal, you had some temperature and humidity problems and did some things that stressed your plants while they were in flowering--the transplant and the drastic chop job. All of this can contribute to airy buds and extended flowering time. Another thing that can contribute to airy buds is light leaks. Today 01:04 AM

Thanks for participating THG and everyone else aswell ofcourse. I appreciate all the advises and suggestion I can get. It´s propably too late for this grow but cant start another one without knowing how I messed this first one.

I dont know excatly how big the whole room is but the grow area is approx. 2.3sqr meters, walls around it about 50cm distance, just enough to walk for a slim persom when fluoros are on the side. 3x400w hps and 2x 150w hps above. On the side 8 x 5 foot fluoro tubes, 58w each, two on every side. Walls white. This chopping job was my guess for cause of this but I did not cut all of them and all are the same. I thought that if the cutting them would affect big time they would grow less, now they did grow but turned light at the end. Even the uncutted ones. Same with repotting, two had no harm done while repotted and theý´re the same. Problems with humidity just these last 2 weeks or so and IMO in this time they got lighter. Could a humidity wich is between 50-54 lights on and rises between 60-70 during dark cause me lightweigh buds, or somehow make them dry if it´s what´s been happening? I dont know. It´s mind bogging. Heats been up occaisionally but never for a long time without being fixed. Heats been down aswell but only once for maybe 19h and other times when it´s been down it did not last.

Latest posts

Back