Bugs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The reason behind watering from the bottom when useing DE it so that it stays dry. When DE gets wet it clumps together and the bugs can crawl right over it without it cutting them up any.

Diatomacious Earth (often referred to as "DE") is an off white talc-like powder that is the fossilized remains of marine phytoplankton. When sprinkled on a bug that has an exoskeleton (such as bed bugs, ants or fleas) it gets caught between their little exoskeleton joints. As they move, the diatomaceous earth acts like razor blades and cuts them up

richsoil.com/diatomaceous-earth.jsp

good ol neem.
just sprayed my ladies yesterday, noticed a few thrips in the greenhouse.
dunno why people overlook this, or think it's weak. when used properly it's cured my problems everytime. (everything but pm, that was hell ;) )

So finally seen the little buggers. Some kind of small little hopper looking thing. Black and yellowish. Gave Menimeth's pepper spray a try. Man, I'm not a pepper person, so holy crap that was gnarly! Man, just pureeing the peppers my eyes were watering and nose running. Not to mention once I was spraying them of course the wind would gust right at me. DOH! Hope it works as good as you say Menimeth.

Sounds like you have mites, bud. Disaffectionately termed The Borg, here at MP. Possibly aphids? Are they more yellow than black? Or vice versa?

No, literally meant like grass hopper looking things. But small, 1/2"ish, and black and yellow.

Do you live in the eastern US? Could be locust borers.

Nope, NorCal. Haven't internet searched yet to see what baby grasshoppers look like. They totally looked like grass hoppers, just way smaller and not green. Went out and did a "shake test" to see if anything flew away or jumped off the plants, and nothing did. I'll keep checking. Damage hasn't been any worse, but definitely want to stop it.

They definitely eat just about any plant matter. Could be baby grasshoppers for sure.

Seven dust is a favorite to alot of people around here, especally on veg gardens. It will kill most insects that invade your garden, but I don't like to use it much because I have grandkids and house pets that have access to my garden. Great product though.

Latest posts

Back