Cage Deathmatch: INdoor vs OUTdoor White Widow 2009

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtyolsouth

Zen Trichome Labs
Reaction score
Are you READY to R-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-u-u-u-u-u-u-m-m-m-m-m-m-m-m-m-b-l-e?:rant:

Greetings MPers!:ciao:

Howzit growing? I have a White Widow pheno that I acquired from a friend of a friend early this past summer. I had several clones rooted and I decided to pop one out on my (shhhhhh) patio in a spot that no one can see without walking past my back door and up onto the deck, etc... It was pretty well hid but it didn't get any more than 3-4 hours of mid to late morning sun. I have a ton of trees around here too so conditions were far from ideal.

Having said that... This was hardly an accurate comparison but I took some shots of the outdoor plant just before harvest and I thought many of you might find it interesting just how different a couple clones from the same pheno can grow and turn out SO differently based on conditions. This is something that always fascinates me about marijuana, coffee, and wine. You can take the same plant pheno and plant it in different conditions and you get a much different end product despite having the same genetic make-up.

Both clones from this WW pheno were topped when about 8" tall, and lollipopped to encourage 4 main branches... The WW seeds came from highgradeseeds.com - The same place that my Poison Afghan and Avalanche phenos came from... very solid KEEPER strains...

More to come...:cool:

Ready2Rumble.jpg

I had rooted and vegged the outdoor WW until it was around a foot tall indoors. I put it outside in early July in a large planter on my patio. I attempted to surround the plant a bit with other plants but they didn't do so well... Within the large approx 20 gal pot I put the WW in a plastic growbag inside the pot full of FFOF/LW mixed 70/30 and also added some added chunky perlite for good drainage.

This spot on my patio/deck only gets about 3-4 hours of sun in the mid to late morning. Just before noon trees get in the way and it only gets some dapple sunlight through the leaves the rest of the day. For the most part this plant just sat there and looked at me for the first couple weeks...:watchplant: It did grow some but had some slight bug issues and I was able to take care of that with some Safer insecticidal soap and some DTE (DiaTomaceous Earth)... Around the 2nd week of August the outdoor WW started to show pistils... There was a bit of stretch but not much at all but I wasn't too disappointed cuz I didn't want a monster on my hands. I was growing it outside more for comparison... I put the indoor WW into 12/12 around 7/15 and it showed pistils almost to the day when the outdoor WW did around the 1st of August...

Unfortunately I don't have pics from throughout the grow/bloom cycle. I didn't want to attract attention by being seen taking pics of a planter on my patio... Call me paranoid... :eek: I did take these shots not long before harvest for comparison purposes.

This plant was topped and lollipopped when it was small and all the lower 'sucker' shoots were pruned while in veg. I think I went too far with this pheno and it didn't have enough canopy developed when I transplanted her outside to get any real MOJO going for awhile...

As you can see the outdoor weed has nice trich development.... Interestingly it was evident early on that there was earlier trich production and more trichs on surrounding leaves on the buds with the outdoor plant. Those nasty ol UV rays sure can do some magic...:cool: I harvested the outdoor WW at around 14 weeks... 70% amber... A little past when I prefer but my reasons will soon follow...

Outdoor WW pics:

OUTdoorWW_0.jpg

OUTdoorWW_1.jpg

OUTdoorWW_2.jpg

OUTdoorWW_3.jpg

OUTdoorWW_4.jpg

OUTdoorWW_5.jpg

OUTdoorWW_6.jpg

i'll pop back in when you finish this.
i find my outdoor have such a stronger smell and taste than my indoor.. look forward to your findings

ArtVandolay said:
That's real purdy :). So you must have harvested, right?

Thanks Art... Sorry I forgot a couple of KEY letters in a sentence that would have cleared this up...

dirtyolsouth said:
I harvested the outdoor WW at around 14 weeks... 70% amber... A little past when I prefer but my reasons will soon follow...

dirtyolsouth said:
Thanks Art... Sorry I forgot a couple of KEY letters in a sentence that would have cleared this up...

I was pretty sure. It's cold everywhere but here :hubba:

The indoor WW... I pinched the top and vegged both of these clone until it was about a foot tall. When the indoor clone was about 12" tall I LST'd and tied down the four main stems to hole drilled in 3gal pots. I then vegged her for a couple more weeks under a T5 fixture and then I moved her into my bloom closet to veg for 5-7 days under my dual arc 1K before flipping the lights to 12/12.

A couple weeks into 12/12 I transplanted her into a 10gal Agroliner grow bag. These bags are similar to smart pots and they have a coating that self prunes the roots and prevents root circling. I made some holes in the Agroliner and tied the mainstems down again. For the indoor plant I didn't do a strict 'lollipopping', meaning I didn't remove all the lower 'sucker' shoots from the plant. I thinned out a lot of the lower shoots but I was careful to leave a nice amount of lower shoots to develop into smaller cola bud sites throughout the canopy. The 4 main stems took an elbow turn and became 4 main large colas on the plant.

In the pics you can see the development of the indoor plant. The conditions were close to ideal with the exception of a couple of heat spikes late in flowering due to a flippin' timer going south on me.:hubba: I have a 1K switchable and dimmable Quantum ballast that I run either a dual arc SolarMax 1K or a Hortilux HPS 1K in a cool tube. I also have a 6 bulb, 4 foot T5 fixture with 4 red and two blue lamps for a side fill kicker light... I use a 630cfm Eclipse fan to pull air first through my carbon filter hung high in my closet and then through my cool tube and out of a 6" hole in my closet ceiling where I exhaust the hot, odor scrubbed air into my attic.

As you can see, the difference between the indoor and out are amazing. It hardly even looks like the same strain let alone the same pheno. And YES! I'm sure I labelled the clones correctly... lol...:p

The exciting Epilogue will follow these pic's...:cool:

IndoorLST_WW_1.jpg

IndoorLST_WW_2.jpg

IndoorWW_0.jpg

IndoorearlyWW_2.jpg

IndoorWW_1.jpg

IndoorWW_2.jpg

IndoorWW_3.jpg

IndoorWW_4.jpg

IndoorWW_5.jpg

So there I was...

Sailing along with my WW indoor and outdoor plants at around 11 and a half weeks of flowering. And low and behold... indoors... There were, yup... you guessed it... :eek: !~NANNERS~! :eek: It's funny.... this is far from my first rodeo but I still get a bit FREAKED when a plant goes herm on me...

Not long before she went hermie I had a timer mishap that I mentioned earlier... (nice foreshadowing, huh? :eek: ) It was the timer on my light's ventilation and by the time I got home from work it was upper 90s in my closet...
icon8.gif
so I put in a new back up battery and gave it one more whirl... and sure enuf... It failed a few days later after operating perfect for the few days I could be around to watch it like a hawk...
icon9.gif
Nothing like a $30 timer to screw things up...

At the time she went herm I had my Poison Afghan within days of harvest so no worries there but I had a whole round of seedlings in there for a test grow that were going to start showing sex any day... and an Avalanche clone in there that was already blooming hard... The WW started spitting out just a few nanners at first but as you can see I had a monster on my hands by the end of the grow and they started coming more and more...
icon9.gif
I could see that this was a losing battle and it was already all cloudy with the trichs and had a small % of amber... So I gave her the knife at around 11 weeks. About a week to 10 days from ideal imo... The GOOD news is that it turned out killer despite the drama in the 11th hour...:) The bud has just now cured nicely and has a great taste and a fairly energetic, up buzzzzzzzzzzz..... Time for a hit NOW! :bong:

So I still had the outdoor plant going... Would it go hermie too? Is it locked in the genetics and doomed to failure? So I let her go and go and go and go outdoors until it was at almost 14 weeks with about 70% amber trichs and I cut her down a couple days ago. At least 10 days longer than I would have normally let it go but I wanted to see if she would go hermie like her identical twin sister the indoor clone and NOPE... not a sign of any nanners.

Another BIG piece of GOOD news is that the indoor WW gave me just under a half elbow of dank bud off of that one plant... 7.7 oz! I'm sure that if I could have let it finish to perfection it would have topped a half pound no problem... So with all the data in front of me I still think I have a winner pheno BUT I know that I need to keep things very smooth without any mishaps to hopefully prevent another hermie episode. The harvest was so heavy and tasty from this pheno that I just have to give her one more go in a future bloom run before tossing her genetics into the compost bin... She isn't the 'whitest' of widows but still a very nice addition to my strains and IF I can keep her happy... she'll keep ME happy!

Happy Growing!:cool:

Phenomenal, DOS. And very informative. THANK YOU! This actually answers a lot of questions for me, since I do an indoor-outdoor grow. Fantastic pictures, great write ups. Color me MEGA impressed!

Hey man Really nice grow report! Good Reading, entertaining, and informative. Now pass that ww doobie over! Nice job man!

Latest posts

Back