Calcium deficiency?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missabentley

Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I need some input. I run foxfarm soil fert trio. PHd properly with GH ph down. I've been locked in with what I'm doing for some time now but something changed.. I use tap water and it seemed as if my water is possibly different? It PH's the same so idk. Could the cold pipes change the mineral content enough to have a deficiency?

Can you post a pics what is telling you it a calcium def?

I apologize in advance for the crappy ancient blackberry curve pics

IMG00025-20131115-0900.jpg

Is it all leaves or just one or 2? Where are the effected leaves located in the plant?

Its just the older fans. The plants look great otherwise and the ones I just pulled have no spots. They were smaller though, so I believe it to be deficiency because its only showing on the larger plants (they were being fed the same)

Thanks for the fast response Ozzy. I will check the link out. I googled pictures of deficiencies but it seems until you experience a certain deficiency it's hard to tell what you're looking at. Gonna pick up some calmag anyways. Figure I should probably be using it and it definitely won't hurt my girls.

could it be iron deficincy i used rust water to help with the iron issue.

I got pics of the whole plant in my journal if you wanna check it out. Not trying to jack missabentley's post but I think we have the same problem.

missabentley said:
I'm thinking also possible nute burn from splashing.
i'm leaning to that.
like shortbus said; a whole plant pic might get a more solid diagnosis, but it looks like a burn (as in light, not nute ;)) or something to me.

and 7th; i don't think your problem is the same as hers, man.
i have nothing to really help you, but if you look; your problem is interveinal -only occurring between the leaf's veins.. hers isn't.
could be a few causes.. i think likely possibly overwater or cold ?
but a transplant should help.
i honestly wonder if you just might be loving them too much

:)

The one thing I have found to help differentiate between deficiency and anything else is the pattern of the chlorosis/necrosis. If it is uniformly dispersed across an area of the plant then it is usually a systemic issue, i.e. deficiency, pH, toxicity. If the discoloring is more localized to one or two leaves at the top, side, or bottom, side of the plant then it is more likely to be something that isn't systemic, like nute splash, dry air blowing directly on the plant, light burn, etc.

7thG; I can't tell much about yours other than on one leaf that is close to the soil where it is more likely to get splashed or touch wet soil a lot. But you may also be experiencing some root binding or watering issues from being in the cups as Kaotic mentioned. I would go ahead and transplant them to their new homes where they have less chance of the roots laying in water at the bottom. :)

MissaBently; We definitely need to see a couple pics of the total plant to see if this is systemic and what kind of pattern is progressing, and if it is progressing. :)

I'm with the others that a pic of the whole plant is necessary. However, I will say that I have to add Cal-Mag when I flower, even though I do not use RO water.

for a hydro formula, is there a calcium source other than calcium nitrate? I want to add calcium without nitrate...

I don't think you can get a calcium for hydro without the nitrate because they have to bind it to the nitrate to prevent it from precipitating out of the solution where it is unable to be taken in by the plant. That is the unique issue with many nutes that are in "synthetic" form. They have to be bound to another element for the plant to have access to them. Its the nature of chemistry and the uptake process of the roots in plants.

I can't swear that this is true but I read that Hygrozyme is supposed to be able to bind with the nitrate after the plant removes the nute molecule that it wants. This locks up the nitrate and keeps it from being a problem in the system. :)

Latest posts

Back