Can Any One Help Me With A Sick Dogwood?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrowRebel

Another Female Grower
Reaction score
:ciao:I just got a pink dogwood tree from Marc's ... I got some mircle grow tree and srub mix ... it was supermoist ... I followed directions when I planted it ... I watered it the next day and used some superthrive ... that was last Tuesday ... I watered again Thrusday ... Saturday when I got home the most of the leave where wilted and dried out!:doh: ... I don't understand it!:hairpull: I did everything I knew to keep it healthy ... I even use a little paint to seal where I cut dead pieces ... I don't understand what's wrong ...:(:confused2: HELP:cry:

p6020002.JPG

p6020003.JPG

P6020006.JPG

:holysheep: it looks like it maybe in shock!

I would keep watering, everyday. lots of water.

for my new trees I buy plain ole top soil and then mix it with humus and a good mulch. I mix all that stuff and use it for my newly planted. I put some in the bottom of the hole and all around the root ball. after its filled in I water morning and evening. I just planted a red maple and a crimson crab apple. I planted a dogwood last year and it took a lot of water and it still is not the best looking tree yet. I think they are super sensitive.

good luck.!:)

Okay ... I will keep watering it ... we are getting rain today ... but during the dry days I will continue to water it ... do you think some more superthrive would help?

All the leave on the tree dried and died ... despite my watering .... is it a lost cause?

was just wondering how long has it been in dirt? if over a week and you watered it everyday you should not do that. Only water the first couple days and give it a little nutrients. Where did you buy it from. I would dig it out and bring it back if you could. If you did water it everyday for a week yes way too much water.

Me

It has been in dirt since 26 May ... got it from Marc's ...A poster on a garden forum told me to dig it up and check out the roots ... I don't know what they are suppose to look like so I took some pictures ... what do you think?

dogr.JPG

dr.JPG

Hi,
I really cant see the roots well. But are there little bumps on the roots, if there is than its nemotodes and that is bad for whatever you plant there. Though some parts look brown am i correct. Seems to be either over fert. or water. Take it back and let them know they should give you another one if there is a warranty on it kind of like home depot.
Good luck to you let us know whats up

Me : )

The overwatering is my fault ... because the leave were wilting I thought it needed watering ... I guess the problem was it was buried too deep ... I replanted it and will leave it alone ... hopefully it will recover ... I doubt Marc's has warranties on these trees ... besides ... I screwed it up so I must suffer the for my actions...

I'd go back to the store you got it from and complain... it died within weeks of you purchasing it... it was sick to begin with and shouldn't have been sold to you that way.

raise some cane:ignore:

Naw ... it was my fault ... besides the roots are still alive and I believe I have a chance to save the tree now that I have it planted at the right level I think the roots will take hold and the tree will recover ... I will keep yaw posted ...

depending on what part of the country you live has alot to do with planting trees. most trees, should be planted in cooler weather. or when rain is forcasted for several days, when it is already hot out. dogwoods are a peculiar tree. they are light/heat sensitive. they grow mostly in shaded areas, under the canopies of larger trees. i dug a couple up once down by a river bottom, and planted them in my yard in full sun, and they died. thats when i learned they needed shade. also, i dont see a tap root on your tree? just my 2-cents... good luck...

I'm not sure what the tap root is like but there were a couple of thick roots like twig size ... so far the top twigs of the tree have brown and died ... hopefully nothing else will ... I'm praying the roots will recover and take hold ... It's not in direct sunlight all day ... just between 10:30 and 4:30 ...

Question: If the tree makes it will I see some leaves by fall?

Latest posts

Back