Can I use this method to make hash?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zem

Reaction score
So I have the Magical Butter machine that has a program to infuse with alcohol. It basically heats infuses extracts into alcohol for tincture, and it made me wonder how good would that infusion be if it were evaporated completely to make some hash for smoking. I used to freeze everything and do 3 batches A B C and tried to prevent plant material from being extracted but with this method, I imagine it would extract a lot of the unwanted parts of the plant. How well of an extract would that be for smoking? Thanks for your input, cheers!

This seems like kind of a lot of trouble/expense (Everclear is expensive) for hash when making bubble hash or dry ice hash is so easy.

This is similar to how I make RSO, except I do the frozen everything and shake, shake, shake and do not use the butter machine. While I do not use a butter machine to make RSO, I do use Everclear and then evaporate off as much alcohol as I can--virtually all of it. I am guessing that this is similar to how hash is made when a solvent is used. So, believe that it would work just fine...it just seems so much more expensive, time consuming, and dangerous than bubble hash.

Good info THG! I wish I had bubble bags but i don't and cannot buy any online, so i have to go with ethanol of which i have a good quantity and i have an alcohol distiller to recapture much of the alcohol. I have an electric stove to warm up the ethanol so there is minimal danger. As for the ease, the magical butter machine is simple it runs by itself for 4 hours or 8 depending on the intended quality. the 8 hours should come out more intense. I find this easy however what I am worried about, is that when heated and for all this time, the plant matter might be too high in the distillate. When I did extraction in the freezer, I used to freeze everything including the alcohol then I would let the plant matter sit only a few minutes in the alcohol to prevent extracting undesired material. So I got batch A which would be golden transparent and batches B and C become darker as I do a second and third run of alcohol through the plant matter. That method was too much effort so I will probably have to try and run the magical butter machine and see what quality would come out of it. Thanks for your input :)

Do you mind me asking why you can’t order bubble bags online? If it’s security concerns do you have a friend who’d receive a package for you? The cost has dropped dramatically. I think I paid $35 for my new 5 bag set.
Good luck in your endeavors, nothing like a bowl of homemade hash.

Do you mind me asking why you can’t order bubble bags online? If it’s security concerns do you have a friend who’d receive a package for you? The cost has dropped dramatically. I think I paid $35 for my new 5 bag set.
Good luck in your endeavors, nothing like a bowl of homemade hash.
Hi RMB it's basically because where i am 2020 was especially cursed and we had a hard economic meltdown and all foreign transfers are impossible and i don't have amazon access, im not in us or eu so i have to work with what i have for now. Bubble bags are definitely on my list at the first chance that i get though

i'm often silent just checking out what's going on.
Hello! Join in, get to know us, we are having so much fun in the advancement of learning cannabis cultivating.

I also have an MB2e butter machine. I love the fricken thing, so let me know what you figured out, I'm curious!

Hello! Join in, get to know us, we are having so much fun in the advancement of learning cannabis cultivating.

I also have an MB2e butter machine. I love the fricken thing, so let me know what you figured out, I'm curious!
Hi CG! I have been doing this for a while, i started participating at mj forums 22 or more years ago before i even grew a plant. Where i am we were still on dial up slow connection. Looking back now this is so much like how i am, i read research think and plan 10 hours to work 1 hour. It might sound ok but i have imbalance lol
Isn't that machine a nice creation? I love it as well. So far i used it only to infuse in food. I don't have a vaccum oven to purge alcohol 100% from the extract, and i have yet to be convinced of an alternative way to do that. I got the decarbox as well which is also great if your kitchen oven is basic like mine, makes it easy to get a precise decarbing. But i am not much into edibles. The ones that i made always gave me more of a body high, like a great sleeping aid which is something i don't need. I have some coconut oil that would have effect on me 2 days after i had consumed it making me sleep longer and take naps body numbness and not much of a head high. I need to get a vaccum oven sometime. last thing i bought was a nice alcohol distiller to recapture the alcohol and there's where everything ended for me, i will have to wait a while, i guess more than 1 year, if ever i can buy stuff again. What about you? What kinds of goodies have you made using your machine?

If'n I was in your position, I would just go out and get me one of those white screen type curtains and collect kief from it. Take a drywall bucket or similar, cut the bottom out so it sits flat. Set it on top of something smooth (glass/plexiglass/table top) you can collect the kief from. Insert the curtain material with excess distributed outside the rim. Use bungy cord to hold the curtain to the bucket with the bottom of the curtain a few inches up from your collection surface. Put your dry trimmings in the freezer long enough to freeze it and then put in the curtain/bucket. I use a screwgun or drill with a paint mixer attachment and scramble the trim up for maybe a minute. I have heard of folks using a wooden spoon but I have never done it so can't verify. Pickup bucket and there ya go, the same stuff (trichomes) that hash is made from. You can repeat this procedure until you no longer care for what you collect. Only difference is it will have a little more plant material in it, but if you have never had it I am more than confident you will be more than pleased.

Hope this helps...

Last edited:
If'n I was in your position, I would just go out and get me one of those white screen type curtains and collect kief from it. Take a drywall bucket or similar, cut the bottom out so it sits flat. Set it on top of something smooth (glass/plexiglass/table top) you can collect the kief from. Insert the curtain material with excess distributed outside the rim. Use bungy cord to hold the curtain to the bucket with the bottom of the curtain a few inches up from your collection surface. Put your trimmings in the freezer long enough to freeze it and then put in the curtain/bucket. I use a screwgun or drill with a paint mixer attachment and scramble the trim up for maybe a minute. I have heard of folks using a wooden spoon but I have never done it so can't verify. Pickup bucket and there ya go, the same stuff (trichomes) that hash is made from. You can repeat this procedure until you no longer care for what you collect. Only difference is it will have a little more plant material in it, but if you have never had it I am more than confident you will be more than pleased.

Hope this helps...
this is like bubble bags. what is this white screen curtain used for? other than online, i don't know where i can look for them

You can us a 220 screen for kief. You can actually use your working bag which is 220. I put my trim in a five gal bucket with dry ice. Then, fit the bag over the bucket and work it around for a minute or so and turn it upside down over glass and shake it.....bingo.....kief.

Pute, can you believe I don't have any place within 50 miles of me to buy dry ice from? I searched a couple days ago for probably the fifth time with no joy. Un********believeable! The last I bought twenty years ago cost me close to $35 for one pound and was 70 miles away.

I use my working bag but Zem doesn't have one or access to one from what he posted.

What kinds of goodies have you made using your machine?
Mostly edibles. I make my canna butter or infused coconut oil and then just replace oil with canna oil in recipes. I like the no bake things best for uplifting sativa but for nighttime, I'll bake goodies.

My favorite thing i make are my capsules. My true belief is that for true pain relief, you need to regularly ingest it, so I make capsules and take them daily.

I've never made hash, maybe that's something I will try soon.

Latest posts

Back