can I???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hairchick40v

closethead...
Reaction score
Can I bud with metal halide, with 12/12 light cycle???:watchplant:

Me thinks it is at the wrong end of the Spectrum for flowering, but Im not sure. HPS the way to go for flowering. Thats what they say.

You can flower with a MH. It's better to use a HPS but I doubt you'll notice any substantial difference. The MH is supposed to produce more potent, lower yielding buds. The HPS is supposed to pproduce less potent, heavier yielding plants but IMHO I doubt if the difference is that big:).

I doubt you'll notice any substantial difference

Man you guys are killen me:eek: Everyone keeps saying to Veg with MH and Flower with HPS? I am getting confused. If there is no difference why spend the money for both?

MH produces light in the blue spectrum which is better for vegging plants but can flower a plant:). HPS has light in the red spectrum which is better for flowering plants but can veg a plant. What i'm saying is if all you have is a MH then don't break your leg trying to get a HPS. Though it's in the better spectral range and produces more lumens you can flower fine with the MH;).

CowboyBudsky said:
Man you guys are killen me:eek: Everyone keeps saying to Veg with MH and Flower with HPS? I am getting confused. If there is no difference why spend the money for both?

To produce the best possible bud you can :D

I've done several entire grows w/ MH. Before finding the 'intestinal fortitude' to purchase a HPS online..:p.. and was perfectly satisfied with the results. A hps is undoubtably "better" for flowering, but without "side-by-side" comparisons, I doubt you can tell any difference.

I don't have a clue what the lumz difference is. But I have a 400w MH . And 2 bulbs. I can see the difference between them. 1 bulb is blue spectrum and the other is red/orange.
The blue was 19 bucks that you can get anywhere. And the reb I got from the hydro store for 75 bucks. They make mh conversion bulbs.. hps bulbs for mh. Don't know how it works. Or you can get a mh digital ballast that does both MH or HPS

city said:
I don't have a clue what the lumz difference is. But I have a 400w MH . And 2 bulbs. I can see the difference between them. 1 bulb is blue spectrum and the other is red/orange.
The blue was 19 bucks that you can get anywhere. And the reb I got from the hydro store for 75 bucks. They make mh conversion bulbs.. hps bulbs for mh. Don't know how it works. Or you can get a mh digital ballast that does both MH or HPS

My hubby just found 2 of those in his workshop!!! The kind of ballast that can use either MH/ or HPS... But it has 400w MH bulbs with it... I am so excited!!!

What is the heat factor with 400w MH, and how far away do you keep it from the plant??? My cfl's a practically touching them...

Hot. I know that. 36" is the hight above mine. I have 1 intake and one exhaust going to keep the heat down.mine is a closet grow

i keep my MH and HPS lights within inches of my plants.but i do have my reflectors vented good.i can place my hand on the glass with very little warmth.i like to keep the light right on them for deeper penetration of the lower buds also.

hey hairchick.... to make it clear and to make a good point to you..

for many years.. farmers has been use weather seasons to follow the cycle to ensure the vegetables will bloom during fall time..

all plants that has been growing outdoor with right cycles... will most likely to bloom properly indoor with HPS better than to use MH... eventhough if you want to push `18/6 with MH while the plant is mature.. it will keep on growing lot of yields of leaves which is good for donors (clones)... but.. if you want to get good yield of blooms (buds) you need stick with HPS and maybe you are 3 to 4 months away from having good yields of buds... why ruin it with MH? you want to throw in MH after all you have done for that plants.. dude you are wastin your time with MH because your plants is waiting for HPS to start bloom.. I have seen it.. even with cfls.. they will bloom little buds.. so HPS is great to start iwth..

papabeach1 said:
hey hairchick.... to make it clear and to make a good point to you..

for many years.. farmers has been use weather seasons to follow the cycle to ensure the vegetables will bloom during fall time..

all plants that has been growing outdoor with right cycles... will most likely to bloom properly indoor with HPS better than to use MH... eventhough if you want to push `18/6 with MH while the plant is mature.. it will keep on growing lot of yields of leaves which is good for donors (clones)... but.. if you want to get good yield of blooms (buds) you need stick with HPS and maybe you are 3 to 4 months away from having good yields of buds... why ruin it with MH? you want to throw in MH after all you have done for that plants.. dude you are wastin your time with MH because your plants is waiting for HPS to start bloom.. I have seen it.. even with cfls.. they will bloom little buds.. so HPS is great to start iwth..

How many plants have you grown to maturity indoors??
How many under hps?
How many under mh?
Flowering with a mh is not going to "ruin" her grow pap'..

I use what they call a "warm" mh it is suppose to be better for flowering than a normal mh. Works fine for me. Now IF I had the money and the space I would have a hps also. This is my opinion on the escalation of lights:Good regular mh Better warm mh Best hps type

hairchick40v said:
My hubby just found 2 of those in his workshop!!! The kind of ballast that can use either MH/ or HPS... But it has 400w MH bulbs with it... I am so excited!!!

What is the heat factor with 400w MH, and how far away do you keep it from the plant??? My cfl's a practically touching them...

If you have a ballast that can use either MH or HPS, I would encourage you to invest in a HPS bulb. The spectrum is better and a HPS puts out more lumens and less heat than a MH.

I flowered under MH in recent months (400w). The yield was less than I had hoped but the nuggs were of good quality. Fluffy but potent. If I ever do it again I will most likely supplement with Flourescents. I would have not been able to flower 4 plants with the 150 HPS I had so in the end the MH did a better job than the HPS would have. 400w of Metal Halide is a lot of light. MORE THAN ENOUGH for a few plants and they will do a lot better under it than less light from a better spectrum. Work with whatcha got.

I know for a fact that you can't buy a MH ---> HPS conversion bulb for less than 90 bucks and that sucks. But if you invest in one of those it will solve your problem altogether. Here is the best price I've found.
hxxp://www.growlightexpress.com/hps-mh-bulbs-7/conversion-bulbs-27/hortilux-ultra-ace-400-watt-95.html

Latest posts

Back