can you grow off just fluro!?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UTR420

Reaction score
can you grow and have the plant bud off just a fluorescent light? Or def. need sodium bulb? Im juss tryin 2 figure out a good way to grow an get exact details on how to do certain things to make a a good yeild, i juss need to ask some ?'s to people who know wat there doing....thanks for any help!

You can grow bud from fluorescents, but most people use flouro's for veg, and HID for flowering, such as HPS. The thing about fluorescents for flowering is that you need a crap load of them to get the recommended lumens/ sqft. And the yeild will not be as great. But there is a thread around here fairly recent that shows an AK 47 flowered from just fluorecents, and turned out pretty good. I just can't remember the thread, have to check the "search" button.

I've done a lot of research, but still definitely a rookie. I have a 4ooW hps and metal halide right now and i am switching to T5s. Growing grass is just like politics. All opinion man. Test everything. I would recommend gowing with t5's first... but hey, who am I to say?:D

IMO, small grows and first timers should do one with flos all the way through. I have thought about this over and over. The reason why is it is an inexpensive way to see if you like to grow, and you don't have heat issues like you do with the HID's. You can get at least an ounce of dried bud if grown well with training under flos.
A good method I seen at HGB was a plant grown sideways in a Scrog under flos, and it was a beast. Yeild was very high. ;)

well obviously this would be your first grow right
jackherer13.jpg
ou can get 2 120 watt flo's for 12 bucks. dont believe me ? looooook

wow.. that stupid picture just took out all i said. recap.. flos are much cheaper if you want personal buds. 12 bucks for 240 watts of flos compared to 100 dollars for 400 watts of hps. if you want personal buds.. just use flos..they are easy to set up

My brother and I built a box 2x2x4 and he uses all flouro's in it. 34 2' to be exact. He has 17 red and 34 blue. The blue spectrum he uses for vegging and then when its time to flower he changes out 17 for the red spectrum. His average yield is about 1/4 lb of densly packed golfball size buds

off 1 plant!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????????????????

schlendrake said:
My brother and I built a box 2x2x4 and he uses all flouro's in it. 34 2' to be exact. He has 17 red and 34 blue. The blue spectrum he uses for vegging and then when its time to flower he changes out 17 for the red spectrum. His average yield is about 1/4 lb of densly packed golfball size buds

schlendrake said:

Holy crap Batman!!! That's 680 watts and I bet lights cover every inch of the inside of that closet as opposed to just one light. I bet it runs cooler too.

Do you even need the blue lights during flower? I've heard if you use all blue during veg it produces more females. Makes sense, in nature blue/red light from sun is 50/50 and so is male/female plants. I bet if you use HPS during veg you get lots of testicles. Pure blue during veg, I bet lots of the ladies!!!

Yea thats off of one plant. He gets his clones off me, which is white widow .

Yes it runs very cool. What we did is seperated the ballast form the light and mounted them outside the box. The light fixture goes from top to bottom and across the top of the box. We also cut an 8" exhaust hole out of the top, mounted an 8" inline vent fan to this and 2 4 inch intake holes from the bottom sides.

He gets a short, no more that 3 1/2 foot high x 2 foot round bush of white widow.

theyorker said:
Makes sense, in nature blue/red light from sun is 50/50 and so is male/female plants. I bet if you use HPS during veg you get lots of testicles. Pure blue during veg, I bet lots of the ladies!!!

I had all blue spectrum during veg and ended up with 1 fem out six plants. So thats not always true but I can understand your point. I guess even with the blue spectrum other factors come into play also like grow conditions etc. IMHO.:bump:

StinkBud said:
I'm nowhere close the the pro grower status of some of the folks here, however, I've done close to 18 plants in 8 different grows. Although many guys swear by the hid/hps lights, I find them expensive, excessively hot, and a little more than a heat score on my electric bill. I find I can get the fluoro's right into the plants without burning them and with a mix of natural daylights, blues and yellows, I get the entire spectrum for my girls.

Initial cost is more... but they will pay for themselves... they are waaay cheaper to run then flouros.

You know everyone says that its way cheaper to run HIDs... But what about the cost of having to run more fans for cooling? Or even an AC unit.

I use a 1000 watt hps in an are 8x3x7. What I did was retrofit the reflector with an 8" inline fan. I run this at night in the cooler temps so my room doeasn't get above 85f in the middle of summer. I also have a 4" inline supply from my brewing area for co2 intake.

100_09482.JPG

I've been doing a lot of reading and the more I read the more convinced I am becoming that if done properly Flourescents can produce better results then HID. For large scale HID is a must and in small areas HID is easier.

But from all I can read if you can get your lumens around 5,000/sq ft and you mix up the light temperatures the right way, you can produce some amazing plants. I'm going with flourescents in my grow room because I think I can get the best result with them. NOW IF ONLY MY FUC*I*G SEEDS WOULD GET HERE.

Mutt said:
IMO, small grows and first timers should do one with flos all the way through. I have thought about this over and over. The reason why is it is an inexpensive way to see if you like to grow, and you don't have heat issues like you do with the HID's. You can get at least an ounce of dried bud if grown well with training under flos.
A good method I seen at HGB was a plant grown sideways in a Scrog under flos, and it was a beast. Yeild was very high. ;)

X2...seen way too many guys trying to cram a huge HID into a space berely big enough for plants, then wonder how they are gonna control temps.

IMO, ventilation and climate control are very easy to optomize and most often overlooked...AND just as important as lumens. Your choice of lighting should match your environment. In the winter, in my cold garage, I can easily run several HIDS and keep temps under control. But when summer rolls around, I will most likely be using flouros or not growing at all.

Elephant Man said:
In the winter, in my cold garage, I can easily run several HIDS and keep temps under control. But when summer rolls around, I will most likely be using flouros or not growing at all.

I know what you mean man! my new room is pretty decent.. but those 1000watts put out the heat... summer might be interesting... Maybe i'll trade up my fan to a 8" vortex. =) That outta do it.

Latest posts

Back