Can you put too much light in a grow space?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poopsie

Reaction score
Hi. Let's say 600 watts is recommended for a 3'x3' grow area. If you put 1000 watts in there, would that be too much light? I'm not concerned about heat really, I just want to know if that's too much light.

Thank you!

poopsie said:
Hi. Let's say 600 watts is recommended for a 3'x3' grow area. If you put 1000 watts in there, would that be too much light? I'm not concerned about heat really, I just want to know if that's too much light.

Thank you!

So long as you can control the heat my opinion is more lumens, more better.
I shoot for 7500 lumens a sqr foot when possible. I believe I have read somewhere that the sun produces 10,000 lumens per sqr foot. Not sure how true that is but I think 10,000 lumens per sqr foot is quite doable indoors. jmo

Its all about the heat. The more Lumens of the correct spectrum, the better. Yeah,,I also heard the Sun on a clear day puts out 10,000 lumens PSF.

I think you can have too much light.....But like HL said..I run around 7500psf
and FYI,,,the sun is mesured in Watts...380 than 24 zeros..thats the watts...Bright bright bright...

take care and be safe

I have 2-600's in a 4x4 tent. This is giving me 11,875lumens/sqft.

Lets just put it this way...You can tell I am cranking the lumens:D

The top leaves may bleach out some, but your lower buds are some growers' cola's

But yeah I am with 4u, I think you can get to many lumens, but I don't know where that starts.

Maybe there is a study that has been done that will tell us how many total Lumens the plant can use.

WeedHopper I know there is a limit, I read that somewhere but can't remember where right now. But I don't think I can go much more then what I got, but there again I am still readjusting my soil mixture to compensate for these extra lumens.

I would think there would be. Im guessing around 7500 to 10,000 Lumens. But I dont know.

i tried looking for a definitive answer to the age old question of how many lumen per sq ft the sun puts out. i found answers ranging from 1750 - 35,000

I think the Sun pushes something like 100,000 lumens per square meter on average. Depends on where its measured on Earth - but thats puts it at a little less than 10,000 per square foot.

I run higher then recommended lumens per square foot as well with good results. As Hamster and WeedHopper said however, theres a fine light with light and heat.

With that in mind, I think a 1000 watt is fine in a 3 x 3 space. Just keep it cool.

i'm running 435 cfm fan in a 3x3 with a 600w at 78F. the passive air coming into the room is between 55F-65F... a 1000w will be tough to keep that size room cool w/o an AC unit. at 88,000 lumens(95,000 initial lumens) from a 600 i get 9500lumens per sq ft. there is really no need to go any bigger. even if ur running c02 its more then adequate

I'm running two 600w cool tubes in a 4x4 tent, and it is a lot better than just one. In fact, the difference is remarkable. One 600w light was doing the job, but two are kicking some MJ butt. -- see my journal :)

Peace

Latest posts

Back