Cannabis may prevent osteoporosis

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FruityBud

Reaction score
Researchers looking at the effects of cannabis on bones have found its impact varies dramatically with age.

The study found that while the drug may reduce bone strength in the young, it could protect against osteoporosis, a weakening of the bones, in later life.

The results were uncovered by a team at the University of Edinburgh who compared the drug's effects on mice.

Osteoporosis affects up to 30% of women and about 12% of men at some point in their lives.

The group found that cannabis can activate a molecule found naturally in the body that is key to the development of osteoporosis.

When the type 1 cannabinoid receptor (CB1) comes into contact with cannabis, it has an impact on bone regeneration.

However, until now, it was not clear whether the drug had a positive or negative effect.

'Early results'

Researchers, funded by the Arthritis Research Campaign, investigated this using mice which lacked the CB1 receptor.

The scientists then used compounds - similar to those in cannabis - that activated the CB1 receptor.

They found that compounds increased the rate at which bone tissue was destroyed in the young.

Despite this, the study also showed that the same compounds decreased bone loss in older mice and prevented the accumulation of fat in the bones, which is known to occur in humans with osteoporosis.

Stuart Ralston, the Arthritis Research Campaign Professor of Rheumatology at the University of Edinburgh, who led the study, said: "This is an exciting step forward, but we must recognise that these are early results and more tests are needed on the effects of cannabis in humans to determine how the effects differ with age in people.

"We plan to conduct further trials soon and hope the results will help to deliver new treatments that will be of value in the fight against osteoporosis."

The results are published in Cell Metabolism.

hxxp://shuurl.com/W6363

Great!!!

Thats why it must work for me! I suffer from seveare ostio-arthritis in my spine as well as 2 disc that I have degenerative disc disease in them. I toss and turn every 3 minutes in bed all night long because I can only stay comfortable for short times before I have to re ajust.

BUT!!

As soon as my first grow is done (thanks to all of you) One little joint a couple of hours before bed and I will be sleeping on a cloud the rest of my god given days!!!

Cheers!!!!

Prototype drug to prevent osteoporosis based on cannabinoids
hxxp://www.news-medical.net/?id=15220

Hebrew U. Researchers Find Cannabis Can Strengthen Bones
hxxp://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/96146

Peripheral cannabinoid receptor, CB2, regulates bone mass
hxxp://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/abstract/103/3/696

New Weapon In Battle Against Osteoporosis
hxxp://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/35621.php

Activation of CB2 receptor attenuates bone loss in osteoporosis
hxxp://www.cannabis-med.org/english/bulletin/ww_en_db_cannabis_artikel.php?id=210#2

Cannabis-like compound prevents bone loss
hxxp://www.thehempire.com/index.php/cannabis/news/cannabis_like_compound_prevents_bone_loss

The cannabinoid CB1 receptor regulates bone formation by modulating adrenergic signaling
hxxp://lib.bioinfo.pl/pmid:17704191

Cannabidiol decreases bone resorption by inhibiting RANK/RANKL expression and pro-inflammatory cytokines during experimental periodontitis in rats.
hxxp://www.unboundmedicine.com/medline/ebm/record/19070683/abstract/Cannabidiol_decreases_bone_resorption_by_inhibiting_RANK/RANKL_expression_and_pro_inflammatory_cytokines_during_experimental_periodontitis_in_rats_

Granny :heart:

Keep 'em comin "Granny" as this guy needs all the OA stuff i can get me hands on !

I saw this on the BBC! The moral of the story is, kids should lay off but adults should toke up!

Here is the BBC link:
hxxp://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/8199007.stm

Latest posts

Back