charcol eleminators

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgjscdhl

Reaction score
hi. I did a shopping trip tonight. I still need some supplies but I saw "enviromental air sponge" and "bright air odor eliminator". For those not familiar, the bright air is gel, similar to those airwick collum for bathrooms. However this is much larger, and says works upto 450cu ft.. Seems pretty good idea for masking the odor.. The air sponge seems to be a solid, and from the net it says its activated charcol. Charcol can be a great odor killer..

So my question is; could I add this to the end of exhaust as a filter? It has no smell, it // seems // like it could be cutout and fitted onto an exhaust easily. (container with lid, lid has "vents". If one made a hole on bottom it should allow proper air flow). I wonder if anybody's done this or thinks it may work? Or should I just use it normally as an odor ellimanator? (just fwi, my basic idea for grow is SMALL and exhaust would be a computer fan 120mm.

I also have an air filter/purifier with ozone. It is relatively small but comes with a hepa filter. I couldn't find activated carbon or I'd attempt at making the two "pencil cups filter".. Ohh... I'm also wondering if any "smelly things" should be kept nearby or will that effect the herbs somehow?

Feel free to critisize or give some of your own. I appreciate looking at this from different angles.

But enough of the ranting. thanks for reading
Safe paths
Geo

I'm haveing trouble trying to visualize what your talking about, do you have a pic of that filter thing? I use a can filter (activated charcoal) hooked into my ventilation, but you would never be able to pull air through it with a computer fan. It takes a centrifigal (sp) can/vortec type fan to be able to pull through the filter and still beable to cycle all the air out of my room. This helps some with the odor, but some still escapes past this. For the fainter smell I keep a couple of "Ona Gel" cans in my house. One by the front door, so I can open it in a hurry if it's someone I don't know in my peephole. One I keep down close to my furnace so I can open it up, and the scent will come up through the registers. I don't know about the products you mentioned, sorry.

Are there fan that'll do that job but are still fairly small? I mean a rubbermaid is only (18" D, 23.5" W, 32" H). So its not like a professional grow fan, high powered blower would be necessary. But its still important to keep smell away and anybody who would be nosey. What about a variable speed, quiet hair dryer - minus the heating element?

hxxp://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524443274106&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=282574489829337&bmUID=1263243394396

This first one is just large enough for the 120mm fan, to drill in a few screws and cutout the other end for exaust. However if its not upto the task I could use a carbon filter and use this, like you do with ona gel to get rid of the rest.

This is a link to another "air freshener", I link because it says it removed "smoke" odor. And probably what I'll keep in public to mask it by the doorway, room.

hxxp://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524443309886&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=282574489839036&bmUID=1263243394473

This is my air filter, its an cleaner I use for my asthma/allergies. It does remove a bit of smoke from the air when I do. Didn't know if that could also remove odor hxxp://www.bionaire.ca/bionairebap1242.html

my experience with this stuff, is that half-editit only ends up costing more money in the long run. Just get a regualr carbon filter and a good ventilation system, rather then spending your money on things that aren't prooven to work, only to end up buying what you should have bought to begin with. I'm speaking from experience...just get what you need the first time.

This is ONLY my opinion, but I'm going to through it out anyway.

Generally, it is a good idea to check the DIY section for ideas on how to make something other than the standard buy it and use it for what it was designed for solution. There is huge amount of alternative solutions to a wide variety of problems in the DIY section.

From what I've seen and read here on the forum, legalize freedom is pretty much right. Before screwing around with strange ideas, IF YOU DON"T want to to use the commercial stuff, then check the DIY section for your ideas on DOING IT YOURSELF rather than trying to reinvent what others have already done.

If you can't find charcoal, then you either aren't looking hard enough or you have no business trying to cobble (See Hick I avoided using an politically incorrect term for you to have to censor -- by th eway why was legfaliz freedom's phrase unacceptable but other people are using "badass" in its various forms freely all they time?) crap together. EVERY PET OR FISH STORE HAS CHARCOAL AND DO MOST POOL AND HOT TUB SUPPLY STORES.

There has also been several posts about using a special odor absorbing cat litter in the place of charcoal that seems to be working well for several members.

Incidentally, for small grows and problems, a lot of people just blow the exhaust over open plates of different deodorizing items.

You asked about keeping smelly things around the grow area -- my advice is to mask or eliminate the odor AFTER it have been exhausted and do your best to intake clean and as far as practical pure air into the grow area. That avoids most questions of harming the plants and/or contaminating the product.

I'm sorry if I may have came on too strong about not being able to find charcoal. It's early in the morning and I'm still waking up.

Good luck with your odor issue and GREAT SMOKING.

Latest posts

Back