Validation/advices about my first grow space project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clem

Reaction score
Hi everyone !

This will be a long post, as I'm here to validate the setup I'm planning to get.
Thanks to those among you who will be willing to take time to show me the way :)
The others, I still love you, peace fellow humans !

I'll try not to give too much details so this post stays readable (edit : it failed), feel free to ask any precision !
This will be my first grow, but as I have a strong tendency to overthink things, I've already researched a lot on the subject.
To summarize the project rapidely : I plan to put 4 big plants in a 120 x 120 cm tent, with a 300W LED full spectrum light.

Some things are already decided (and mainly ordered) : the lights and the seeds.

LIGHTS
Main full spectrum LED light : Mars Hydro TSW 2000
https://www.mars-hydro.com/led-grow...0-led-full-spectrum-hydroponic-led-grow-lightAdditionnal UV lights (X2)
https://www.migrolight.com/product/migro-uvb-310/
I've done a long and deep research about lights, so I'm pretty sure of this choice ;)
About the UV lights : I think I'll get 2 and hang them pretty high, to have a uniform exposure in the grow space, because I won't be able to center it, the main light being already in the center of the tent.

SEEDS
I'm not sure this is relevant to choose the gear, but in case you're curious, I bought :
- Crystal White (Spliff Seeds) féminisée
- Runtz (Zamnesia Seeds) féminisée

Now, let's talk about the rest !
I got most of the links on Growshops.fr, but I can order somewhere else, I'm even thinking about going in an IRL grow shop, I'll see...

TENT
As I said, I think I'll take a 120 x 120 cm (4x4 feet) tent. This may be a little too big for 4 plants, but I want to have some space around for ventilation and such.
This one seems nice : Chambre de culture 120 x 120 x 200 cm - Black Silver - Growshops

AERATION
Aeration is my main questioning right now. If you are willing to answer a single topic in this post, please answer this one :)
From what I read online and in books, I should aim to fully replace the air in my tent every 1 to 5 minutes.
For the size of tent I plan to get, that would mean a 120CFM (or 200 m3/h) extraction to replace air every minute.
I'm aware I'll have to add 25% to this if I decide to use a carbon filter (not decided yet, will be in my cave so...).
There won't be much duct, air will just be blowed out of the tent in a cave, not outside of the house.
I've read that with HPS lights, an intake is advised too, since the air needs replacement not only for CO2, but to keep the place cool too, so the air flow have to be efficient.
I didn't find many informations about tents with LED lights tho... I'm pretty sure it has to differ since the heat output is far from the same (500 BTU for my light).
So, here's the question : do you think I'll need an intake with the tent and light I'm planning to get ? I think a passive intake with a 100-150 CFM extraction would be enough ?
If a passive intake is enough, one more question : would you use a filter of some kind on the passive intake, to avoid contamination with god knows what ?

About the gear, it seems there is 2 different kind of ventilation :
- Duct ventilation (cheaper), like this : Extracteur Aérateur de gaine VKOk Turbo - 150 mm 358 mc/h - Winflex ventilation - Growshops
- Or "proper" extractors, like this : Extracteur Air TT 150mm 467 à 552 m3/h - Winflex ventilation - Growshops
Would a duct ventilation be enough (if the CFM is enough of course) ? Or is there any reason I can't use only one of these and should get a proper extractor ?

About internal ventilation, I'm aware this is required too, I'll get one or too fans like this : Ventilateur oscillant - Clip Fan - 18cm - 20w - 2 vitesses - Advanced Star - Growshops

POTS
About the pots, I've heard Airpots and such (pots with holes and none cylindrical shape) are a must to avoid roots to grow in circle following the edge of the pot, and to maximize roots oxygenation. So I think I'll get that kind of thing.
https://www.growshops.fr/fr/1072-pot-rond-anti-spirale-20-litres.htmlBut I'm really hesitating on the size... Should I get 7, 10, even 20 liters pots ?
I can afford to have 20L pots, since I'm planning to pu only 4 plants. That would mean pots will take a 70 x 70 cm space in my 120 x 120 tent.
But won't 20L pots allow the plants to grow too much ? won't they become too big for the space I've got (mainly the 200cm height limit) ?

SOIL / FERTILIZER
I've heard a lot of good things about BioBizz, plus their fertilizers line is 100% natural.
So I'm thinking about getting :
- Soil : All·Mix - Biobizz
- Fertilizers : Pack Engrais Biobizz Starters Pack - Growshops

MONITORING / CONTROL
It is apparently very important to only give water at a 6.5 PH, so I'll get a PH-meter and PH modifiers :
https://www.growshops.fr/fr/3333-ph-metre-platinium.htmlhttps://www.growshops.fr/fr/1468-ph-down-3-acids-500-ml-platinium-nutrients.htmlhttps://www.growshops.fr/fr/24503-p...utrients-augmente-le-ph-de-vos-solutions.html
I was wondering if getting one of these to control the soil itself would be a good idea : pH-mètre pour le sol - Triple fonction pH, Humidité et Luxmètre - Growshops
What do you think ? it can display PH and humidity in the soil. So maybe it can help with knowing when to water ?

I know some people get an EC tester too, to control the amount of nutriments in the water (I've got the datas about what EC you should aim at what stage of growth)
https://www.growshops.fr/fr/3241-ph-metre-triple-fonction.htmlSince I plan to use the BioBizz fertilizers, and they have a precise dosage calandar, wouldn't it be a bit overkill to control it futher with an EC meter ?
Would you get one anyway and control water+fertilizers mix with it, just to be sure ?

ABOUT CO2
This is the one thing I didn't research much for now... I've seen that you can add CO2 to your grow space to optimize growth.
If I understood correctly, CO2 supplementation is usefull (necessary even ?) if you've got more than 1000 PAR on the plants.
Would some passive thing like this be any beneficial ? or is it completely useless ?
https://www.growshops.fr/fr/4742-boost-buddy-co2.htmlI'm not willing to spend money on a CO2 system, so if you tell me this kind of cheap CO2 supplementation is uselss, I'll drop this matter for now.

WELL ! Thanks for reading all this, I hope I'm not forgetting anything, any help or advices you can give me will be greatly appreciated :)

Welcome Clem. Sounds like you have given this a lot of thought. Good for you. Many start off with no idea of what to do. No planning, reading or research.
I will help the best I can and others will follow. Be patient, It is Sunday and gets a bit slow on weekends during the day.

LIGHTS, I have had the same set up for 11 years now so not gonna be much help with the new lights or led's.

SEEDS/CLONES, always get them from a trusted friend or dealer. I have worked at assembling the strains I grow for years now and still looking for the holy grail. Some strains herm, some love nutes more that other....I could go on and on. You will figure this out with experience.

TENT, that is the perfect tent for 4 plants. Enough said.

AERATION/VENTALATION, you should get an inline fan that will turn your flower room over twice a minute. Example, if you have a 4x4x8 ft tent or 128 cubic foot tent you need a fan that will circulate 256 cfm per minute.

POTS, I don't like air pots, they have a tendency to dry out to fast for me. I use 5 gal pots. That will be your preference with some expierence.

SOIL lots to choose from and everybody has an opinion on that so I won't give mine.

NUTES/FERTILIZER, again lots of choices. Do you want an organic or chemical line of nutes....most here prefer organic, I use a chemical main line so again I won't give an opinion.

Sounds like you have the PH under control. I would suggest an R/O filter.

CO2, I don't and you probably won't either. Your exhaust fan makes it worthless IMO. Again many will disagree but for what you are planning....leave it alone.

That covers your questions....hope this helped.

Last edited:
I agree with Pute except i use Organic Ferts.
And you dont need C02 unless your running a hot grow room.

Keep it simple
howdy-creature-ag1.gif
CLEM

I know nothing about indoor grows - but plan on doing so in near future.

Dumb question to the OP- do those lights plug into a standard house outlet?

Great question.....yes and no. I don't totally understand electricity but a dedicated line can handle 1500w. So, I have two 600w lights through a dedicated line for lights the rest, fans, veg light.....exc run through out the house. But, a larger grow would certainly require modifications.

I am sure there are many on here willing to give info on how to do the electrical on a larger grow.

If you’re going for a 120 x 120 size tent, I would go for the 220 height option.

Thanks for your answers guys :) My comments below :

Welcome Clem. Sounds like you have given this a lot of thought. Good for you. Many start off with no idea of what to do. No planning, reading or research.
I will help the best I can and others will follow. Be patient, It is Sunday and gets a bit slow on weekends during the day.

POTS, I don't like air pots, they have a tendency to dry out to fast for me. I use 5 gal pots. That will be your preference with some expierence.

Okay, that's roughly 20L, I'll go with 20L then. Don't know if I'll go with airpots or not, if other people seem to dislike it too, I'll consider switching to regular pots. Isn't the soil drying out sometimes a good thing ? to prevent mold and such ?

CO2, I don't and you probably won't either. Your exhaust fan makes it worthless IMO. Again many will disagree but for what you are planning....leave it alone.
That covers your questions....hope this helped.

Yeah I figured that out in the meantime, you're absolutly right. I think the exhaust indeed makes it worthless, the CO2 won't build up in the tent. I'll leave it alone yeah !

I agree with Pute except i use Organic Ferts.
And you dont need C02 unless your running a hot grow room.

Nah I think it'll be the opposite... The ceillar I'll put the tent in is 10°C at night currently (not much more during the day), so I fear I'll have a temperature problem... I'm not sure the light will be warm enough to reach 20-25°C :/

My grow room is still under construction, but I've added a greenhouse intake filter at the start of my passive intake to keep out pollen, mold, insects, etc.

That's pretty expensive... Some guy told me he made a custom passive intake filter with furnace filters haha, maybe I'll give it a try, I'm not willing to spend 100$ on a passive filter.

Yeah, I'm not sure of what plug shape this is, but this is a wall plugable standard plug yes, maybe not the shape my country use but I'll get an adapter if required ;)

If you’re going for a 120 x 120 size tent, I would go for the 220 height option.

Well, yeah I get you, but 120 x 120 x 220 seems to be uncommon, the only I find are really expensive compared to 200 height ones :(

Yup a proper grow setup can be costly. My initial setup was over $5,000. You can get by much less expensive than I did but some things are necessary.

Yeah ya definitely dont need CO2 in a cold grow room. Good luck,,ill be watching for updates.

I know nothing about indoor grows - but plan on doing so in near future.

Mean , Mars is a China product and they sell it in 120 and 240 volts , the drivers can be powered by both so it is only a cord change. From what I have seen that one is not to bad.
I like the light Hopper has been researching.
I built my own true 300w good for a few plants only , from HLG quantum boards and a driver some wire and presto.
Flowered nicely 3500K

Latest posts

Back