Choosing A 400 Watt Ballast

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want to drop that money on an MH bulb, go right ahead, let me know how it turns out. I'm not saying you're wrong in doing so, I just don't have the experience with it. Veg growth is all about volume, and I've seen it pulled off with the cheapest of light setups, budding is a different story.

Do what your gut tells you to, you may be wrong, but on the other hand, I may learn something from you. If you have the money to spend, DO SO. The MH bulb just doesn't make sense in my mind.

Like I always say, if you spend an extra 60-70 bucks on your MH, and it provides you with an extra gram or two of bud, you've already made your money back. I don't like the $100 MH. But no one here is a full blow scientist. We can only learn from you. So do it, go TOP SYSTEM. And talk about the benifits. There are four kinds of people on here.

1. Those who have experience, and tell you how it is.
2. Those who have experience, but know that they could learn more.
3. Those with NO experience, and just rely on the posts of strangers to steer them the right way.
4. Those who know how it is, and won't have it any other way.

Do your thing, and you'll fall into #2.

If you have the extra cash, you'll never regret it. It might not be right, but youll learn from it, and that knowledge is priceless. I always say you should put as much into your light setup as possible, but an MH bulb, doesn't make any sense to me. I maybe wrong as hell here.

You seem like a person who does their research first. So do it! Let us know how it turns out. Thank you for the info, and enjoy your new setup! I know youll feel alot better about putting it together yourself, than letting a half rate shop put it together for you...

Cheers Mate!

I'm not about to pay more for something that I don't know whether or not will help my grow at all, so forget that bulb for now. I agree with you wholeheartedly about the importance of gaining knowledge through experience and failure, it's definitely the best way to learn more about something. And I'll have all the room to experiment with different lights and expand my knowledge after this grow.

On another note, I have discovered I might not be able to deal with this abomination of a site that is ebay. I "purchased" those items, in an attempt to add them to my cart or shopping basket or whatever, so when I did decide to buy them they would be all ready for purchase. After finding out that the cord was the wrong product to buy, I discovered that I had supposedly already entered a "binding contract" with the supplier to sell me all the equipment. I haven't even paid for the items and they're telling me I've already pulled the trigger on the purchase? That's a complete joke, I never used ebay and now this gives me a real reason to stay away from them. They can go on and on about how I'm obligated to buy those products, but they're not going to get a penny from me pulling **** like that.

So now that I can't remove that cord from my product list since I've already "agreed to purchase it", I'm forced to buy from some other sketchy light retailer.

This is going to be a long process...

:hairpull:

i would go with Lumatek 400W and hortilux super hps thru whole grow no need for MH , cheap reflector and socket with wires and u set .

Mutt said:
I'd get the cool tube myself. But the air cooled hoods work great as well.
I'd run a cool tube vert myself and not use the reflector. I like using all sides of the bulb personally.
$319.00 is a good price for there switchables with a cool tube.

Does anyone have a pic of a CoolTube set-up? I have been reading about it here and just can't quite picture it.

What can I say, I'm old skool and use Aircooled hoods.

NorCalHal said:
Does anyone have a pic of a CoolTube set-up? I have been reading about it here and just can't quite picture it.

What can I say, I'm old skool and use Aircooled hoods.

Here is a link to a DIY cool tube: http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23982

I like using the Pyrex bake arounds when making a cool tube, because I can find plumbing fittings (no hub couplings sans the rubber boot) that connect well to the ducting.

I, however am like you and like the large air cooled reflectors. I believe it works best for the space I am using. I think that the cool tubes would be good when hanging your lights vertically.

brouli said:
i would go with Lumatek 400W and hortilux super hps thru whole grow no need for MH , cheap reflector and socket with wires and u set .
I'm sure that would work just fine, but still why would I want to do that if all I would have to spend is another $30 for a MH bulb? If it's better for vegetative growth I see no reason not to spend that litte bit of extra cash.

I just received my Hydrofarm All-Systems cord, 600W 120V Lumatek ballast, and 600W Hortilux Super HPS from FedEx today.

I hooked everything up to get a glimpse of what the light looks like, and I don't think I can see right anymore, LOL. I've never seen any type of HID lighting in person, but this thing is like looking directly at the sun times 10. I know the sun is way stronger, has more lumens, complete spectrum, etc. but even looking at this bulb for a half second makes you feel like you're gonna die. I don't quite get that effect from looking at the sun.

It's daytime, the suns out, and my shades and curtains are closed but I think anybody who may have been outside at the time saw my whole house illuminate, haha.

Latest posts

Back