Citric acid/pH knowledge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raymont

Reaction score
Does anyone use citric acid to adjust pH? Ive done some research and wanting to be as natural as possible found that citric acid will lower pH. Citric acid is what is used in kids candy to give it the sourness. Natural acidity. Its also been said that it feeds sugars similarly as molasses does...Anyone here smarter than me to give a lil input? Responses surely appreciated.

Citric acid does not "feed sugars". It's citric acid. But it is an organic acid, so it's breakdown indeed releases some carbon. But (so many buts!) at the citric acid concentrations required to match the available carbon from say, sugar, your plants would die of acidic lockout. But citric acid is used in fertilizers anyway as a chelator.
Just stick with actual sugar supplements and phosphoric acid, it's simpler.
But!!! Citric acid smells amazeballs, and it's all I can do not to take off my respirator and stick my tongue in the 50 pound sacks I buy it in for work. Not at a greenhouse. It's a phenomenal passivation agent for stainless steels. If you like the idea of citric acid, read ASTM A967. That's where it REALLY shines. : )

Citric acid does not "feed sugars". It's citric acid. But it is an organic acid, so it's breakdown indeed releases some carbon. But (so many buts!) at the citric acid concentrations required to match the available carbon from say, sugar, your plants would die of acidic lockout. But citric acid is used in fertilizers anyway as a chelator.
Just stick with actual sugar supplements and phosphoric acid, it's simpler.
But!!! Citric acid smells amazeballs, and it's all I can do not to take off my respirator and stick my tongue in the 50 pound sacks I buy it in for work. Not at a greenhouse. It's a phenomenal passivation agent for stainless steels. If you like the idea of citric acid, read ASTM A967. That's where it REALLY shines. : )
But....can citric acid synchronize my cardinal grahm meters? My panametric fam has sinusoidial deplanaration due to successive side-fumbling of the stator shaft!

Latest posts

Back