Clones leaves drying in V-shape

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ross

Reaction score
Recently the leaves of my clones have started yellowing and the leaves curling upwards in a v-shape. This happens a couple days before they get ready and by the time there are roots they almost look burned. I have no idea what I could be doing wrong. I use a tray and dome with a heat pad buffered by a layer of cardboard and a 2ft t5 fixture that is pretty high above the dome. I know a little yellowing is normal but these things don't even look healthy.

Sounds like the roots are to warm if they are rooted they do not need any heat in the rooting zone

Yep,,To much heat once the roots start can cause problems. I never added heat to my Bubbler,,the T5s kept them warm enough.

So I should only use the heating pad for the first few days?

I use heat pad untill roots show?...sounds like the Ambient air is too hot???

whats the temps in the room the dome is in?

Why use a heating pad ??? period???? keep room in the 70's and your golden keep lights 1 - 2 " above dome from first day of cloneing leave them alone for 4 days then mist leafs and inner dome daily by week 2 take dome off and see if them clones keep standing up of they droop replace dome
IMO if leafs dry out you are having not enough humidity

I am different from DrFever, I try to keep my cloner very tightly close to 78-80f with the air just a little cooler(75-78f), and I keep my lights back away from them and not a lot of light. I don't use a dome when using the bubble cloner unless my air is really dry. I use one T5 with the 3000k bulb. I seldom have any drooping or yellowing. How long is it taking for them to get roots? What is the air and cloner temps?

ive tried with the air temp high 70s and mid 80s with both results the same. It usually takes 10 days to show roots but not on all of them. i live at 5600ft elevation so it is fairly dry, however the dome is always covered with droplets so I'm pretty sure the humidity is high enough. Also I'm confused about when you say use heating pad until roots show because I thought when roots show is when you transplant. I use sponge cubes so the roots arent visible until they are long enough to protrude.

When I've cloned my plants always lose a few leaves, It is becauase the plant has no roots so it gets it's food from it's leaves only. You can foliar feed with a cutting accelerator like Jump Start which helps but once they get roots they should recover with light feeding. That works for me.

Latest posts

Back