commercial long term seed storage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShOrTbUs

Reaction score
i'm sure if we all had unlimited space we would all grow many many strains and never be forced to choose ever again. i've been looking for ways to find a solution to this problem in my own way.

my idea is... every time i purchase a new strain i will buy only REG seeds and breed each strain. basically starting my own personal seed bank. that way when i'm forced to discontinue growing a strain in order to try new ones i will always be able to go back and grow that strain again without having to purchase those seeds again.

- what do the seedbanks use to store their seeds?

- is it affordable enough for someone to purchase or build themselves to start their own personal SMALL seedbank?

my thought was buying a small safety deposit box. buy a vacuum sealer. seal the seeds in airtight bags. catalog them in the safety deposit box, and place it in the fridge. that way they always stay cool and dark.

Silica gel pellets to capture all but 6%-7% of the moisture (others use rice kernels), sealed in foil bags or black film cans, kept at about 40f/4c temps. Always in the dark, always temp stabilized, and always as dry as possible. Some people swear by freezing them in the same way. Do not use plastic baggies.

If you Google "long term seed storage" you will find tons of information.

Unless you have a special space it breed, it is going to be hard to keep males and breed while still maintaining a garden of sensi. Seeds are really quite inexpensive and I have no problem paying the breeders who take the time and effort to bring us their best. Even if I had the room to breed, I would not. It just seems to be too big a hassle when seeds are so inexpensive.

Seed banks generally do not have the seeds "sitting on the shelves" long enough to require long term storage solutions.

I do not think you need a safe deposit box. Any container that will keep the seeds dry and out of the light should suffice. I do believe, however, regardless of what you do that seeds do have a shelf life that is finite.

Storing seed in a safety deposit box would not be a good thing. Average bank vault temp is in the 70's, not the 40's that is needed for long term storage. Just because they are stored in a dark box does not mean they are stored properly or stand a chance of survival. Many vaults offer no guarantee of consistent temperature control unless they are designed and sold for that purpose (like fur storage vaults).

Companies like Green House Seed and Barney's use refrigerators which are dedicated to cold storage of seed. Other companies such as Seedsman Seeds freeze them with a dessicant.

It is not that hard to do controlled breeding. I did it for years and still maintained sets of seedless plants. Just takes thought and attention to detail. It might seem difficult if you have not done it before but it is just not that big a whoop.

Old_SSSC_Guy said:
It is not that hard to do controlled breeding. I did it for years and still maintained sets of seedless plants. Just takes thought and attention to detail. It might seem difficult if you have not done it before but it is just not that big a whoop.

I agree... you will need a sealed space to flower a male but if you take precautions you will not ruin all your crop....

I used a Large heavy duty tote from the Depot for a male chamber... used a 2' T5 to flower the male in the tote... Collect the pollen and your ready to rip... you can even just pollenate a single branch on a large plant or use clones if your not lookin for a ton of seeds...

Latest posts

Back