Connecticut to vote on implementing medical marijuana program!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stonedwoodsman

Yes I Cannabis
Reaction score
Hi Group, In today's Danbury [CT] News Times Sunday newspaper, (www.newstimes.com) is the following article:

Sunday August 25,2013

"Hartford, CT...It will either be a slowdown or showdown this week when a key legislative committee takes a deep breath....('Toke'...??? :D )and votes on the new regulations implementing Connecticut's medical marijuana program.
Both the Governor, and Consumer Protection Commissioner anticipate the eventual approval of the new rules by the 14 member Regulations Review Committee. Nonetheless, some members of the powerful committee are skeptical that the complicated rules safeguard enough against abuse. :eek:
If approved, the vote will be decisive and the state can prepare to start soliciting bids from would-be marijuana growers and dispensers. :icon_smile:
Unlike most panels in the Democrat-dominated Legislature, the committee has equal membership between Democrats and Republicans.
Four of the 14 person committee members voted AGAINST medical marijuana in the House or Senate last year.
On Tuesday, the committee, after closed door party caucuses, will vote to either reject the regulations, approve them, or postpone the action for a month.
Last week, the nonpartisan Legislative Commissioner's Office (LCO) told the committee that there were some minor issues of 'language' in the 75 pages of proposed Department of Consumer Protection regulations and reccommended delaying the approval until the issues were addressed.
The Commissioner of Consumer Protection's staff, quickly changed the proposal to adopt the suggestions, which were approved by LCO on Friday.
"I'm hopeful that they'll pass these regulations", the
CT Governor stated. "There is increasing evidence that there are medical benefits to the use of medical marijuana, in certain cases.
Obviously we're not just treating headaches with it".
Governor D. Malloy said that he believes committee members are aware that the will of the General Assembly was to establish a program and their role now is to focus on the proposed rules.
The regulations include the creation of up to 10 Grow facilities and an unspecified numbers of dispensaries run by licensed pharmacists.
The committee will have to change the state's definition of marijuana, from a Schedule I drug with no medical value, to a Schedule II medicine available through a Doctor's certification.
A State Senator from Bridgeport, CT who is the co-chairman of the committee, agreed last week that the battle over medical marijuana was finished when the Governor sighed the bill in the spring of 2012.
"I think the important thing to know is that it was passed into law, and that the regulations carry out what the law called for", he said in a telephone interview.
The bill passed the House 96-51 and the Senate 21-13.
Two Republicans on the Regulation Review Committee voted in favor, while five voted against it. Among the seven committee Democrats, four voted yes, two voted no and one wasn't in office.
"The intent of the legislation is still good and I support it", said a Republican House member, from Darien, CT.
She also continued with, "WE knew it was in violation of Federal Regulations. What's been interesting is how many other details there are".
Federal law prohibits the possession, sale or distribution of marijuana. [Or even THINKING about it, soon]..."Big Brother" is watching, reading & listening... :eek:
She's concerned that it may be difficult to measure the medicinal qualities of various strains of marijuana that would be grown in the state.
"I think the medical benefits for those who truly benefit from it make it worthwhile, but we have to perform our due diligence", this House Rep stated.
A Senator from North Haven, CT ranking member of the committee, said last week that he believes the committee should take it's time and make sure the regulations are solid.

* Also, a few week ago, it was just approved that a large commercial warehouse in West Haven CT, could operate a large scale medical marijuana grow operation there.

HEY-Things are starting to 'look up' for us poor Connecticut folks, it's not Holland, British Columbia, Colorado, California or Washington yet, but we're getting there.
Now, maybe in 10 - 20 years.....who knows? :confused:

'Keep those gardens Green out there people!!!

StonedWoodsman :icon_smile: :icon_smile:

Latest posts

Back