Cupbaord grow, 1st attempt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treebeard

Reaction score
Hello,

I thought id post a bit about the grow ive got going at the moment, Even though its not much compared to some of the other growers (keep up the good work BTW). Basically with this grow im trying to keep it small an simple, mainly due to domestic circumstances :rolleyes: but also because its the 1st grow ive done for a while, and all grows before where basically stuck in a pot by the window. I think if i nail this one i will expand and experiment bit more.

So my setup for this grow is very simple. I have a light fitting with just 2x100w equivelant CPF's placed just a couple of inches above my plant on 24/7. I also have 2x CPU fans that i have built into the cupboard to provide ventilation etc for the plant. As you can see temperature is about 24/25c and humidity is 50-60, is this ok?. I have these set on a timer to come on every 15mins for 10hours of the day (noise keeps me awake at night). My plan is keep these under the CPF's until their ready to flower than place them under either 150w metal halide or 150w sodium (don't have a sodium bulb yet). Can i flower under the MH? or is it better to get a soidum bulb to do the job properly? The space in which im growing is 2'x2'x5'. At the moment i only have one plant(12days old) as im having real trouble getting more to sprout! my current succesful germination percentage is 10%!! terrible:(. i think i may be too rough when planting the germintated seeds, ive been using tweezers. anyway any comments on my grow are much appreciated! P.s i will be transplanting that into a bigger pot tommorow ;)

grow4.jpg

Grow1_edited.jpg

grow6_edited.jpg

Offspring_36 said:
Hello,

I thought id post a bit about the grow ive got going at the moment, Even though its not much compared to some of the other growers (keep up the good work BTW). Basically with this grow im trying to keep it small an simple, mainly due to domestic circumstances :rolleyes: but also because its the 1st grow ive done for a while, and all grows before where basically stuck in a pot by the window. I think if i nail this one i will expand and experiment bit more.

So my setup for this grow is very simple. I have a light fitting with just 2x100w equivelant CPF's placed just a couple of inches above my plant on 24/7. I also have 2x CPU fans that i have built into the cupboard to provide ventilation etc for the plant. As you can see temperature is about 24/25c and humidity is 50-60, is this ok?. I have these set on a timer to come on every 15mins for 10hours of the day (noise keeps me awake at night). My plan is keep these under the CPF's until their ready to flower than place them under either 150w metal halide or 150w sodium (don't have a sodium bulb yet). Can i flower under the MH? or is it better to get a soidum bulb to do the job properly? The space in which im growing is 2'x2'x5'. At the moment i only have one plant(12days old) as im having real trouble getting more to sprout! my current succesful germination percentage is 10%!! terrible:(. i think i may be too rough when planting the germintated seeds, ive been using tweezers. anyway any comments on my grow are much appreciated! P.s i will be transplanting that into a bigger pot tommorow ;)
Whats up Offspring36. Isn't 25c about 77 degrees? If so that is a great temp for your baby. Your should try and keep your humidity around 50% or so. IMHO i would get the HPS for flower the results will be much better in the end. Yes when handling seedlings you must be very gentle. Anyway everything is looking great man keep it up. :aok:

You could just try throwing your seeds in a cup full of water to germinate. Opaque, with something to cover it. I once forgot I had seeds in a cup for about a week and the lil sprouts were all still living after being submerged the whole time. I always germinate like this with about a %90 success rate! Good luck and the setup looks great.

Hello, Thanks for the comments :). Ive managed to get the seeds to germinate, its just once ive put them in their containers they just stop growing. Whens the earliest i can take a clone? feels im wasting all this effort on just one plant! Thanks again

you can take clones when the plant get to about 5 nodes are more just to be safe you can take them just before you put them into flower or one week after you put them in flower. if you take them after you put them in flower it will take longer to root because it has to re-veg. plus you will know if you have a girl are boy. you can train her to grow out more its called lst traning if you can get your grow tip to bend down so that its not the higher point on the plant any more it will cause the to think that it has lost the tip and thwe plant will start to grow out like a bush i will put some pics on here after 7.00 pm that when my my lights turn on so you can see what i am talking about.

Hey, Thanks for the advise :), only thing is i don't know if it would be sensible to make the plant really bushy as i dont have much space width ways, far more height, its a bit of a debate point. I suppose i could divide the cupboard into 2, having one area for a mother plant and the other for clones? I dont know very about clones having never taken any before. I presume they will grow in a differant way to a plant from seed? Can they be put straight to flower once the hay have rooted? sorry about all the questions but you are the people with the answers :D Many thanks

Offspring_36 said:
Hey, Thanks for the advise :), only thing is i don't know if it would be sensible to make the plant really bushy as i dont have much space width ways, far more height, its a bit of a debate point. I suppose i could divide the cupboard into 2, having one area for a mother plant and the other for clones? I dont know very about clones having never taken any before. I presume they will grow in a differant way to a plant from seed? Can they be put straight to flower once the hay have rooted? sorry about all the questions but you are the people with the answers :D Many thanks
Yup once they have formed a nice root system you can toss them into flower. Also here is a link to Hick's soil cloning method. We have had great results doing it this way. http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2441

Hey, Thanks for the link. I think every post i have made you have replied to TBG, I think youre input into the forum is very much appreciated by many users:). Anyway ive just discovered that i have a heated propagator:D, can i use this to put clones in? The only thing Hick didn't put in that post was about lighting? probably because its obvious to everyone else. Other than that it's a very useful guide!

Offspring_36 said:
Hey, Thanks for the link. I think every post i have made you have replied to TBG, I think youre input into the forum is very much appreciated by many users:). Anyway ive just discovered that i have a heated propagator:D, can i use this to put clones in? The only thing Hick didn't put in that post was about lighting? probably because its obvious to everyone else. Other than that it's a very useful guide!
Thanks man. We try and help as much as possible isn't that what it's all about. Helping people. ;) I'm really not sure about the heated propagator man as we have only cloned Hick's way. I'll have to look in on that for ya. Also clones like 24/7 lighting.

Hello again. plant is 2weeks today. Ive started to notice some leaves turning differnt colour, with little spots on them. Ive just started feeding a little fertilizer today (10:6:8 i think). I know the lower leaves will die off slowly as the plant grows it just seems a little early. Any comments?

plants 004.jpg

plants 005.jpg

Looks like nute burn.... older leaves get those deposits and try to preserve the young.

Hi, The soil im using is just plain old general purpose compost compost with a bit of peaty soil mixed + perlite and vermiculite. I havnt actually added anything to the water, just feeding plain water. Would doing a soil Ph test help solve it? Also, Is it worth investing in some really decent dirt? Thanks for the help

Hello, Took a soil Ph test and it turns out my soil is about 6.0 on the ph scale. I think this is largely to do with the water in my house which is naturally fairly acidic. Is 6.0 ok?

I decided to Germ a few more seeds due to these leaves starting to become a little odd + these lights on one plant is a bit of a waste. The seeds a went for are Nirvana Big Bud, I heard its renowned for a high yeild but upon further investigation it seems it wasnt a great choice. I read that it is difficult to clone? can anyone tell me anymore info on this strain? Many thanks

Offspring_36 said:
Hello, Took a soil Ph test and it turns out my soil is about 6.0 on the ph scale. I think this is largely to do with the water in my house which is naturally fairly acidic. Is 6.0 ok?

I decided to Germ a few more seeds due to these leaves starting to become a little odd + these lights on one plant is a bit of a waste. The seeds a went for are Nirvana Big Bud, I heard its renowned for a high yield but upon further investigation it seems it wasn't a great choice. I read that it is difficult to clone? can anyone tell me anymore info on this strain? Many thanks
Hey Offspring_36, it's good to meetcha. I've been watching your progress since your first post. TBG had you covered, so I didn't come into the thread.

I see you've decided on growing some "Bid Bud" from Nirvana. You've picked a really good plant man. I don't know where you heard different, but it's got a great yield and a solid high. Compared to other types, it's a tad harsh even after a really long cure, but you can't have everything. I use a bong when I smoke it. Works just fine.

All of the advanced strains of MJ seem to have a heck of a time with the new nutes while they are a seedling. That's the only drawback I can think of, and it seems to be with all of them, so you'll have to deal with it no matter what strain you grow.

I would *strongly* advise you to order some good MJ nutes that are made for it and use them as instructed by one of the seasoned growers on this site use them. TBG can probably suggest a good one for your dirt growing, or I can suggest "General Hydroponics" "Flora, three part series". It's a Hydroponic nute, but I use it with GREAT success on all my dirt grown Mother plants.

Local store bought nutes will turn out to be a bummer to you. They really aren't made for what we grow, and the advanced strains don't like them at all and will pay you back if you use them. Yikes!

Get those seedlings going and order some proper nutrients and we'll walk you right through a Big Bud grow.

Good luck to you man!

Offspring_36 said:
Hey stoney bud, Thanks for the help man. I'll get onto the case of getting some good nutes etc.. keep you posted on my progress:D (if i make any:rolleyes:). Here's some of the quotes i found that go me worrying! Thanks for your help :)

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/BigBud.htm

I love the quotes. You have to keep in mind that I've been growing weed for more than 40 years. I've used nothing but Hydroponics for more than 25 years for both a vegetable garden and all of my weed for harvest. I keep my Mothers in dirt to purposely slow them down and make them more manageable over a long period of time. When I say a plant is easy to grow, I mean that if proper methods are used, and proper lighting and nutes, that in Hydroponics, it's easy to grow.

When I grew "Big Bud", I used a mother plant and clones. The cloning was very easy and had an acceptable success rate. The plants were grown in my 4 unit Hydro setup, (as in the DIY area), and cured to 19 ounces of weed from 4 tubs. That's a cured weight of 4.75 ounces per/plant.

I flowered them at 18 inches and harvested at 6 weeks.

The high isn't White Widow, but it's a respectable moving high.

Hey again, ok you've restored my enthusiasm for Big bud now:). But the only thing is im not growing Hydroponically and my lights arn't Ideal and my knowledge of Nutrients etc isn't huge, i don't expect to achieve results such as yours for the first time but i will give it a go. I am also in a limited grow space at the moment as you can see. Ideally i would like to be able to have a perpetual grow going, i dont really know if this is possible in this small space?

Btw the lights i have at the moment are 1x400w sodium (which is too large to fit in the cupboard), 1x150w MH (could get 2 if i really needed it) , 1x70w sodium which is what i have in at the moment except its wired up with 2xcfl's in it. I've been trying to think out what is the best way to have these lights set up :confused: confused.

ive also been meaning to ask, which is better to put clones in, those Jiffy cubes or rockwool?? apologies about all these questions!

Many thanks for your help stoney bud, nice to have the help of someone who has so much experience. Set 5 seeds to germinate last night so should have some sprouting soon!

Latest posts

Back