Cutting my loses..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamtd

Growing Wild
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I'm still having a problem with my plants not budding.

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50930

Thats a link to my last post about it.

I have one hybrid is going hard. All new growth has pistils and its looking all good. But the other five, which are sativa are just stretching and stretching. The pre-flowers aren't getting any bigger and some of the pistil's are going orange. And to top it off. i have no room left at all for them to grow.

Like i said the hybrid is going well i can see it developing each day.

I'm at the point of ripping all the sativas out, and putting all my effort into the one plant. And then just moving on with my plans for my next grow.

I was going to do it tonight but would rather see what you guys think about it.

your sativas are going to grow like sat's...I mean they are going to have alot more stretch, growth comes in spurts, and they just take alot more time to ripen...this is the reason for doing research before you grow, then you could have planned for height restrictions. I don't know how many weeks into flowering you are, but if you are still in the first 3 weeks, you could chop the tops of the sat's, so that you can keep them within your limits. Or you could do alot of bending and tying. I have been where your at to. Just last grow I had 1 sat I couldn't keep out of the lights, and I ended up yanking it, when I realized it was going to take another month to month 1/2 longer to finish, and I was constantly breaking branches over. Do what you need to do it's your grow, you could probably save them though if you wanted to. Next time, study the genetics a little bit better...good luck to you.

This is my dilemma as far as Sat smoke sounds like it is right up my alley but I know growing them will be a pain in the butt...I wld try to top them and bend them over and tie them down...but if they are screwing up your plans that badly then get rid of them...

I love the sat high...but hate waiting for them to grow, and the way they grow. Thats why I go with a sat dom that grows like an indica, like AK47, or the c99, if one does the research there are many sativas that finish faster than 12 weeks, stay short etc. The Big Book of Buds books are ideal for explaining this type of info, giving you the size, yeild, time of harvest, breeder, all kinds of strain specific info in these books for researching what you want to grow. There are Sat dom plants that have been bred for smaller size, you just have to do the research. The Cannabible books are another good source book but not as detailed as the BBofB. The Cannabible is more just a breif description, and alot of biased oppinoin from the author, who is a hydro and chem.fert nazi...if it's not organic weed to him it's no good. But they are still good resourse books with beautiful pics on every page.

Good info lf...I hve been thinking of growing the c99 for that exact reason...I wld love to try some 100% Sativa smoke as well someday...

legalize_freedom said:
your sativas are going to grow like sat's...I mean they are going to have alot more stretch, growth comes in spurts, and they just take alot more time to ripen...this is the reason for doing research before you grow, then you could have planned for height restrictions. I don't know how many weeks into flowering you are, but if you are still in the first 3 weeks, you could chop the tops of the sat's, so that you can keep them within your limits. Or you could do alot of bending and tying. I have been where your at to. Just last grow I had 1 sat I couldn't keep out of the lights, and I ended up yanking it, when I realized it was going to take another month to month 1/2 longer to finish, and I was constantly breaking branches over. Do what you need to do it's your grow, you could probably save them though if you wanted to. Next time, study the genetics a little bit better...good luck to you.

I did my research. And I knew what to expect. The problem is a had light leaking in somehow and they vegged for a month to long. I might try chopping them and salvaging what I can.

It's just such a shame to lose those big bushy colas.

Yeah, that sucks man...so what strain were they?

They are pure sativa. I don't know what strain as it was bag seed. They look nice, smell good, and are healthy and strong. Unfortunatly I just have no room left. I pulled just the one out that had no pistils at all yet, to make some more room. Then I went nuts with the chalk gun. And I mean, I actually got a little crazy whilst doing it.

I chopped off some of tops that had skinny stems, as i thought they wouldn't yield much anyway. I also pinched the tops i really wanted to keep.

I rearranged them all so i have more space and put my MH in over the top of the little Indii cause she wasn't getting much light where she was, with the HPS being too high.

Just a case of managing it now, and trying to maximize where i can. I'm remaining optimistic.

I just sat down a couple of days ago and drew up a plan for a new grow box. Using 19mm Plywood and actually building a frame for it. Proper door ect. I'm really thinking hard about the ventilation and how to make it completely light proof. As i think this is where my main prob with this grow has been.

I'm going to run 2 400w Digi ballasts, and use conversion bulbs so i can get 800w of MH or HPS. They are going to be cool tubed.

I just finished constructing the Muli-flow buckets.

hxxp://www.mjp.com/ic/showthread.php?t=99983

Based off the same as the link above, only with 4 buckets. I really like the simplicity of ebb and flow, but I'm finding the grow table too hard to manage. I was thinking with a little bit of tweaking, this system could actually be mounted on a rotating flange. Allowing you to easily access each plant just by spinning the whole system.

Anyways the lights will be in banks so 400w for each plant. Should be over 10k Lum/sq ft.

Will start construction around march/april. Will be doing a grow journal this time too. So hopefully can get the results i deserve.

The good thing about that time of year, I'll be able to have my photo-period during the day.

iamtd said:
I did my research. And I knew what to expect. The problem is a had light leaking in somehow and they vegged for a month to long. I might try chopping them and salvaging what I can.

How do you research bag seed? If you don't know the strain then you couldn't do the research. I don't mean to sound like a jerk, Sativa...is a pretty broad subject. Next time maybe think about buying seeds so you know what to expect, then you can look into very specific things to look out for like height, time of flower, and an expected yeild.

legalize_freedom said:
How do you research bag seed? If you don't know the strain then you couldn't do the research. I don't mean to sound like a jerk, Sativa...is a pretty broad subject. Next time maybe think about buying seeds so you know what to expect, then you can look into very specific things to look out for like height, time of flower, and an expected yeild.

I knew it would stretch. I knew i needed to train it to stay low, otherwise i would run out of space. I topped and tied them down. Unfortunaly as i have stated, they vegged to long because of light leakage. A small mistake whch has pretty much cost me a great harvest.

I couldn't research yield and flower time of course. But i knew how these would grow. This is my second grow using these seeds, so i knew how they would react.

What this whole thing has taught me, and what I obviously had to learn the hard way as many do. Is to grow seeds with good genetics and that i know exactly how to grow.

My thinking was to use these unknown seeds. Hopefully find something useful and then just clone them. Unfortunately my attempts at cloning have failed. Largely because i can't give them the time and effort they need with my work.

I am starting a new apprenticeship next week, which will be very normal hours and i will be at home more. I am also making a bubble cloner as they look fool proof.

So to some it all up.

What i have learned. I need a new grow space. I need a new system. I need to grow plants which i know more about. I need to clone, and I need to grow less plants.

Like i said, its a hard lesson, but i have learnt it well. And that's why I'm here, on this site reading everything i can, 2 hours a day.

I know your not trying to be a jerk. I just want you to know, I'm not just germing seeds and expecting that I'll get results without knowledge.

I'll get there, and i will eventually have an amazing crop with a sustainable system for growing.

td

Sorry, man. Been there, done that with some Super Lemon Haze. They just took off, got all spindly and sort of sputtered out. Had to pull them. And it was a lighting issue. Live and learn. Stiff upper lip and all that. Tomorrow's another day. Try some indica stuff. I'm finishing some AK-48 right now. One in soil, the other in hydro - bubbleponics. Hydro is the way to grow. Faster, better yeild. So simple even a child can handle it...or so says my wife who says I have the brain of a 3 year old. :holysheep: Seriously, give hydro a shot. You'll be glad you did.

Okay man....sorry I didn't know you had grown them before... And really even growing with new genetics, even when we buy them we are in for surprises Just look at what Leafminer is going through right now with his Blue Mystic.

And I've been there to!...let them get too big!

mr.greengenes said:
Sorry, man. Been there, done that with some Super Lemon Haze. They just took off, got all spindly and sort of sputtered out. Had to pull them. And it was a lighting issue. Live and learn. Stiff upper lip and all that. Tomorrow's another day. Try some indica stuff. I'm finishing some AK-48 right now. One in soil, the other in hydro - bubbleponics. Hydro is the way to grow. Faster, better yeild. So simple even a child can handle it...or so says my wife who says I have the brain of a 3 year old. :holysheep: Seriously, give hydro a shot. You'll be glad you did.

I am growing hydro mr.greengenes. I'm doing ebb and flow in clay medium in 4 inch net pots. I'm not finding the growing a problem. Other then a small nute lockout problem at the start of this grow, everything has gone well. They have probably grown to well. lol

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=140643&d=1258982887
Plants at 2 weeks old at the start of this grow.

legalize_freedom said:
Okay man....sorry I didn't know you had grown them before... And really even growing with new genetics, even when we buy them we are in for surprises Just look at what Leafminer is going through right now with his Blue Mystic.

And I've been there to!...let them get too big!

Yeah the pictures looked pretty impressive indeed. I guess you never know until you sit down for a smoke.

Thought I'd let you guys know.. It's finally happened!

:woohoo: :clap: :dancing: :yay:

And a pic of the 'lil one.

RIMG0423.JPG

RIMG0425.JPG

RIMG0426.JPG

Anyone ever try pushing the light up an hour? Like 13/11? Don't tropical sats naturally flower at only 10 to 11 hours of darkeness? Don't really know myself.. Just seems I have heard that a few times..:confused2:

Just like I have heard that if you grow them under those spinning light setups it confuses the heck out of them and screws them all up.

nv ive read that to. not sure exactly but i thought it was 13 hrs light. makes sense seeing how they grow best closer to the equator. i know spinning lights make me url so why not the plants...lol

nvthis said:
Anyone ever try pushing the light up an hour? Like 13/11? Don't tropical sats naturally flower at only 10 to 11 hours of darkeness? Don't really know myself.. Just seems I have heard that a few times..:confused2:

Just like I have heard that if you grow them under those spinning light setups it confuses the heck out of them and screws them all up.

I've been growing pure sativas on and off for about 20 years. Actually it wasn't until some years ago that I started on other strains. There is a big difference in how they behave with the location. In more northern latitudes you won't get them to flower until the daylight hours reduce to their 'expectation' i.e. about 12-13 hours. But of course they do need to be mature as well.
Now I live in an area that has hours more like tropical. That's why the local - indigenous - plants are all sativa. Don't assume that sativa will flower at any time you reduce the light hours to 12. It still needs to be mature. I have a 2 ft tall landrace sativa in the greenhouse right now, it is getting only 10.5 hours of daylight and sunshine max of about 4 hours, but it is vegging just fine and I expect it to continue like that for a LONG time. It has preflowers on it but it shows no sign of wanting to bud.

Latest posts

Back