decent electronic ph tester under $100?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Relentless999

Reaction score
I remember a while back where a couple people were saying a particular electronic ph tester was pretty acurate and it was like $75 or $85.. Im sick of using these drops.. I want a decent ph tester thats not gonna break the bank.where can i get one and how much is it?

thanks guys!

Hi R999,

I've heard good things about the Hanna Checker ph test meter on the forums and it sells for around $40 and I found one online for $34.95 here:

hXXp://www.bghydro.com/BGH/itemdesc.asp?iC=TEMPHHAC1

You may also want to start thinking about getting a meter to measure nute strength (tds - total dissolved solids) and you can get one meter that will do both and in the long run it could save you some $$$.

I've used a Hanna 9813-0 Combination ph/tds meter for about 12 years. The 9813-0 is a combo meter that tests nute strength (tds) in addition to ph. It has a waterproof electrode 'wand' attached to a heavy duty cable that is separate from the main unit. I've found that this is a much better design for me because I've had small hand held units that I've killed by having it slip out of my hand and fall into my nutes! :eek: Oakton makes meters that are waterproof and they float if dropped in nutes. Another great thing about having the electrode separate is that you can replace just the electrode when it goes bad in a few years instead of replacing the whole unit.

For me, it was worth it to spend a bit more and get a more me-proof unit. The 9813-0 usually sells at the local grow shop for around $200. I found a great price ($159 w/free shipping) at this website and they have tons of meters:

hXXp://www.eseasongear.com/

Even suppliers I've used that match any price didn't want to touch that price so I went with eseasongear.com and everything went smooth and it was shipped very quickly.

I'm sure some other MP growers will chime in with what they use but you may want to consider biting the bullet, spend a little more and get a meter that will test for ph and tds and will be around for a while.

Good Luck!:cool:

i dont trust myself wit one them spendy suckers yet lol. as i did break the bulb on my first tester i had only 2 weeks after ownin the dang thing an had to get new one. lol
i'd feel better if i knew i could keep one alive for at least a good year without any clumsy accidents lol before gettin one that fance.
but i thought bout gettin one them all in one testers like ya said above. i bet it would save money but not if ya clumsy like me and have a habit of breakin things lol...
but hey relentless just remember you get wat you pay for in this world now a days. for sure. jmo
hope ya find one that suits ya ..

I got the Hanna phep 5 I belive. It has been a really good meter so far. They are waterproof so I just drop it in and let it sit for a few while I am doing something else. The replacement ph electorodes are 50 bucks and the pen is about 90 bucks @ Drsfostersmith.com it is a pet supply place they seem to run cheaper there than a hydro store. They also make a combo meter for ph and ec/ppm. Don't forget the calibration solution for it. Hope this helps

I have a hanna combo meter HI98129. I paid something like 125 bucks for it off ebay. Floats, checks ph/temp/tds/ppm, easy to calibrate. I actually calibrated it like 3 months ago when I first started on this grow and didn't re-cal until this sat, and found it was still spot on. So far no problems on my end and would def recomend for a first combo meter.

I use this PH meter its only $25, I have had it for 3 months, I had to calibrate it once when i first got it, I have checked it several times and it holds its calibration...
hXXp://www.scalediscounters.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=4&products_id=315

Help needed please
I have just bought a Hanna hi 99104 ph meter. After putting it together it says;
1 If electrode is dry immerse in storage solution for 30 mins
2 If calibration is needed, immerse in ph buffer 7 and adjust
3 Rinse and emmerse in ph buffer 4 and adjust ?????

All I wanted was a simple meter to say that it was to strong or weak, can someone out there put me in the picture please...!!!!!

Latest posts

Back