Deputies say bad economy pushing people into pot business

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FruityBud

Reaction score
Deputies busted a marijuana grow house Wednesday in the Golden Gate Estates. It's the second grow house bust in two days and the sixth of the year in Collier County. Believe it or not - authorities say the economy could be to blame for the increase in growing operations.

Since January 3rd, the first raid of the year, deputies have confiscated more than $1.5 million worth of pot. All of the grow houses have been in the Golden Gate Estates.

Wednesday's grow house bust was the result of a tip.

Deputies went to 3795 27th Avenue SW just after 4 p.m. and began talking with the man inside, 29-year-old Severus Cosarca.

When authorities searched the home they found 136 plants with a street value of $408,000 and $4,000 worth of marijuana cultivation equipment.

The plants were being grown in two converted rooms - one housed 90 small plants in Styrofoam cups, the other had 46 plants between two and six feet tall.

Cosarca was charged with marijuana manufacturing and possession of narcotic equipment.

Just one day earlier, another 81 pot plants were found at a different home in the Estates.

With six marijuana busts already in 2008, authorities say it looks like this is a growing trend. But Collier Sheriff Don Hunter says the activity isn't surprising.

"We've been finding grow houses for four to five years," said Sheriff Hunter.

But finding them in quiet neighborhoods in Golden Gate Estates was unexpected.

"The one yesterday, I am surprised. Typically, it's in the estates area where there's less traffic," said Hunter

"It's an indication to us that this type of activity isn't waning in the Estates," said Lieutenant Nelson Shadrick, who works for the CCSO's Vice and Narcotics Bureau.

Deputies say there were a total of 31 grow house arrests in Collier in 2007, nearly all in the Estates.

Lieutenant Shadrick says increased patrols and public awareness about grow houses have lead to recent arrests.

By he says that isn't the only reason - Lieutenant Shadrick said the economy has had an effect on the number of grow houses that are turning up in Collier County.

"We've had some people make the claim that I lost my job, so I turned to this,'' he said.

Deputies say there are several signs to indicate that a grow house might be operating in your neighborhood, including:

* Multiple air-conditioning units in operation.
* Little traffic at a residence, except for odd hours, weekends and nights.
* Gates and Beware of Dog signs.
* Windows and blinds that never open.
* Frequent loading and unloading of equipment, especially at night

http://www.nbc-2.com/articles/readarticle.asp?articleid=17690&z=3

LOL....also it could have something to do with the fact that people like to grow pot and smoke it. I love LEO, also multiple AC units (check), little traffic except at odd hours (check), beware of dog signs (check), I got them all and I had them all before I grew. I'm a single guy who is self employed with a new house with no central air. Pure genius that LEO guy, he pretty much described every single hermit with a dog in this country.

Go get 'em tiger, help out the economy:eek:

Latest posts

Back