diy odor control qs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruufuus

novice ethnobotanist
Reaction score
Hey guys, I will soon be starting my 4th grow with some stinky strains, and will be growing in an apartment so i am preparing to stave the stink with a few diy ideas and could use your opinion. Firstly, I am going to try somewhat of a diy charcoal filter-ish system. I plan to run my ventilation into a t gallon bucket filled with partially broken up charred wood(charcoal briquettes) and am wondering what you all think of this.Also I was thinking of ways to more or less seal the room to contain the odor, and keep it from visiting the neighbors, and could use some advice on how to go about doing so. I am also turning to you guys for some ideas pretaining to diy odor control methods, so any recommendaions will be greately appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

DIY Carbon Filters

Please wipe you feet before you come back to MP after visiting these sites :)

hXXp://www.420magazine.com/forums/do-yourself/115176-diy-high-flow-carbon-filter.html

hXXp://www.rollitup.org/indoor-growing/7074-easy-build-diy-carbon-filter.html

IMO nothing will beat a proper store bought one. Is it a room or a tent you grow in? Where do you vent to? How big is the area?

Best way to keep smell seeping out the room is to have negative pressure where the grow is.

Sorry I wont be much help pilgrem growin in an apartment could only cause me grief couldnt imagin that challenge. As fur me i just keep dead things hangin round the grow shed well skinnin and guttin shed to nieghbors and visitors all yu smells is the dead things and folk dont like the smells so they stays away. Anyways keeps my charcaol fur cookin. Hope good folk here with their smarts be helpin yual out good luck trails walked pilgrem.

BWD

a sealed room wilkl require co2...More research..not sure bbq briqetes is what is needed...

take care and be safe

Charred wood and charcoal briquettes will not work. It needs to be activated charcoal.

You should check the DIY forum here.

Jericho said:
DIY Carbon Filters

Please wipe you feet before you come back to MP after visiting these sites :)

hXXp://www.420magazine.com/forums/do-yourself/115176-diy-high-flow-carbon-filter.html

hXXp://www.rollitup.org/indoor-growing/7074-easy-build-diy-carbon-filter.html

IMO nothing will beat a proper store bought one. Is it a room or a tent you grow in? Where do you vent to? How big is the area?

Best way to keep smell seeping out the room is to have negative pressure where the grow is.
it will be a room, or a closet, or both. I'm not exactly sure on the space yet, but ill be using space sufficient to veg 5 plants for a month or so and another to flower them. I plant to vent fresh air from outside the area, through cooltubes. And through an air filter of some sort.

ruufuus said:
it will be a room, or a closet, or both. I'm not exactly sure on the space yet, but ill be using space sufficient to veg 5 plants for a month or so and another to flower them. I plant to vent fresh air from outside the area, through cooltubes. And through an air filter of some sort.

So you will have 2 rooms? one for flower and one for veg?

As long as the area you are growing in is going to be air tight apart from the passive intake for air and the exhaust the you wont have a problem as long as you can create negative pressure. Basically you want your exhaust to be pulling slightly more air that passive intakes will allow. In a tent you can tell because the sides will suck in slightly. I have two passive intakes on it and it pulls air through my cooltube to fan and blows it out side, In the room where the tent is there is not a hint of a grow going on all though flower.

I should think the best way and most common way to do it is to have air being pulled through filter --> cooltube --> fan --> outside.

Will be easier to help when you decide the areas your going to grow in and we can get specs.

Jericho said:
So you will have 2 rooms? one for flower and one for veg?

As long as the area you are growing in is going to be air tight apart from the passive intake for air and the exhaust the you wont have a problem as long as you can create negative pressure. Basically you want your exhaust to be pulling slightly more air that passive intakes will allow. In a tent you can tell because the sides will suck in slightly. I have two passive intakes on it and it pulls air through my cooltube to fan and blows it out side, In the room where the tent is there is not a hint of a grow going on all though flower.

I should think the best way and most common way to do it is to have air being pulled through filter --> cooltube --> fan --> outside.

Will be easier to help when you decide the areas your going to grow in and we can get specs.
i will have 2 rooms, one for a veg, and a slightly larger for flowering. can you explain this negative pressure to me in more detail? at this point i plan to run an exhaust for every cooltube i run, pulling air through the cooltube, out of the room, and into a DIY carbon filter(hXXp://www.420magazine.com/forums/do-yourself/115176-diy-high-flow-carbon-filter.html). but in this scenario i am wondering 2 things, 1:will this filter keep all odor from seeping into another apartment? and also how will i bring fresh air into the flowering room without creating light seepage?

so what you are saying is i should put my diy filter into the room, pull air through it, through the cooltube, and out of the area? sounds easy enough =p. as for the parameters, i do not have a definitive size yet, all i know at this point, is i need sufficient space to flower 6 plants.

so what you are saying is i should put my diy filter into the room, pull air through it, through the cooltube, and out of the area? sounds easy enough =p.

Exactly. That way air is cleaned from smell before it travels through ducting and fan and will create less odor leaks.

i will have 2 rooms, one for a veg, and a slightly larger for flowering. can you explain this negative pressure to me in more detail?

Negative pressure = Add up all the air that is being pulled into your room through door, vents, leaks etc. You need to have a fan that is pulling slightly more air than this. That way it is always sucking air from any vents rather than letting the air seep out.

When we know what rooms your using will be easier to give a good example of the ideal venting and odor control. It will depend on how well sealed the room is, if they are next to each other etc.

Fresh air can be brought into the room by a passive intake. This can be done in a few different ways to prevent light coming in. Flaps, blacked out ducting etc.

:yeahthat:

need to kill the live links too my friend...Hick frowns on those

Jericho said:
Exactly. That way air is cleaned from smell before it travels through ducting and fan and will create less odor leaks.

Negative pressure = Add up all the air that is being pulled into your room through door, vents, leaks etc. You need to have a fan that is pulling slightly more air than this. That way it is always sucking air from any vents rather than letting the air seep out.

When we know what rooms your using will be easier to give a good example of the ideal venting and odor control. It will depend on how well sealed the room is, if they are next to each other etc.

Fresh air can be brought into the room by a passive intake. This can be done in a few different ways to prevent light coming in. Flaps, blacked out ducting etc.

thanks for the info. i think i have developed a plan in my head =]

Latest posts

Back