Do they smell?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JH358

Reaction score
OK.. im new at this, im going to give growing my own a whirl. I just need to know if the plants smell up the house, like if i have company will they know there are some plants growing in the back room? Thanks.

If you don't vent the room and have it running through a carbon filter than in most cases yea it's gunna smell. I had 2 plants in my grow closet before and they made my room smell quite lovely.

And yes if you pick a strain that is extremely pungent it will only take a few plants before people might ask what that lingering smell is :)

hard to grow secretly in the same flat with people, you'll need to get in/out growstuff they'll eventually know. IMO it has to beat least a seperate completely private room like a basement with seperate access, stay safe ;)

If you have cash to make it stealth, no worries. I can and have had a bbq for 30ppl with more lights running than I will admit.

:yeahthat:

Yup... it sure can be done!;) I grow in a 2 x 4 x 8 closet, using a carbon filter and an aircooled cool tube style hood and I have a 6" hole in my ceiling for exhausting the hot air from my light. You have to open up the closet to get any odor at all and stick your face into the buds to get strong odor. Odor problems are caused by stagnate air that builds up withing a grow room. The odor particles just continue to build until they push their way out of your grow room, down the hallway and throughout your house in due time. If you can ventilate your grow room the odor doesnt get a chance to build up but the exhaust will be fairly stinky and if you use a carbon filter on your exhaust you can have a totally stealth personal grow without anyone having a clue. Have fun and be safe!

Peace!:cool:

Grow a low odour strain. Pure indicas tend not to have any smell either in veg or flower. I never use a carbon filter. My Black Dominas have almost no odour. IMO the smelliest strains are 50-50 blends. My sativas stink a bit but nowhere near as bad as, say, skunk.

hmmm leaf...I have to say that the sats I just grew smell way less than the solid indicas I grew the last time...

Not trying to disagree with ya, but just saying that I think it is more strain dependent, and not just indica/sativa some strains stink and some are low odor...do some research.

these Cinderella/AK47's smelled worse in veg than they did in flower, once they started flowering they took on sort of a tropical fruit smell, way easier to hide than a dead skunk under the floor.

Like DOS said properly filtered and ventilated air will help tremendousely!

Just in my experience/
I took the Aurora Indica - that was odour free - and crossed it with the Oaxaca sativa (light smell) and in general, the phenotypes of the result were all pretty stinky. And at the moment the sativa I have in flower is a bit smelly but only close up. I've grown sativas from Nigeria, Mexico, Thailand, Congo, and not needed a filter. Yet one hears constantly on this forum about all the smelly strains and they are all crosses, to me.

I've grown a unstable skunkXjamaican that had a repulsive smell since it was all mixed up (I noticed 3 different varieties) The smell all mixed up rubbed me the wrong way.

Strain is the main thing, as has been said.

i have 7 in various states of flower and almost no odour at all, vented near a window, with no carbon filter, not suggesting this but its my situation, if i smell anything i will put in a carbon filter in a heartbeat, bottom line is do what you need to do, if they stink get a filter, but strain is the biggest.

OK im getting the picture here, can anyone recommend some not so strong smelling strains so the CEO doesnt have a fit?

get the picture is roght but it WILL Stink regardless of the strain when the girls flower it will smell the WHOLE house up and everyone can tell what that smell is. spend the cash if not hit me up and ill tell you a DIY odor can that codt you twenty bucks and 10 mins to sset up.

Latest posts

Back