Does this look like alternating nodes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7thG

Victimless Criminal
Reaction score
Was hard to get a good angle.

IMG_2974.JPG

IMG_2975.JPG

IMG_2976.JPG

yup its getting there, another week or so any just about every bit of new growth will be alternating

Awesome! Good to know. Probably flower in a month or less. Thanks Sunakard!

That third pic it looks like it's getting there. Basically alternating nodes means when the branches that produce buds are NOT side by side.. they start to stagger and drive an OCD type of person mad because they are not then symmetrical. lol

I agree.. another 5-7 daze and you're good. :aok:

By the time you put into flower it will be ready by the time they get into flower mode if your trying to get them finished.

if your not in a rush wait until you can clearly see it.

Nope I'm in no rush. I plan on letting it bush out for another 2 weeks at least.

No alternating nodes yet. JFYI, I've had plants that show preflowers before they get alternating nodes.

The Hemp Goddess said:
No alternating nodes yet. JFYI, I've had plants that show preflowers before they get alternating nodes.

:yeahthat:

Ive even had some plants that nodes never altered...

7thG...can you get a close up shot of the fourth node?...looks in great health..well done

:48:

Ok I'm going to take the pics now.

4u2sm0ke said:
:yeahthat:

Ive even had some plants that nodes never altered...

7thG...can you get a close up shot of the fourth node?...looks in great health..well done

Hopefully you can make out what each picture is of. I got some full shots just in case and I'm pretty sure every node is pictured.

I haven't been growing for long this will only be my second time going to finish. I was wondering for someone who has been growing for a long time are there character traits of male and female plants that would make it possible to identify them in veg? Even if it's not 100% maybe just an informed guess. If so what do you think of mine they are from reg seeds and I'm starting to get nervous cause I only have 2 and I've grown close to them I'm not going to lie:eek:

(I didn't take pics of my other plant because it's extremely bushy and it doesn't have as much node development as this one anyway)

IMG_3032-001.JPG

IMG_3037-001.JPG

IMG_3039-001.JPG

IMG_3041-001.JPG

IMG_3042-001.JPG

IMG_3043-001.JPG

IMG_3044-001.JPG

IMG_3046-001.JPG

2nd pic is definitely a sign of alternating nodes so :aok: on that one. Also, in the 4th pic, top right node set.. that's alternating. I see no sign of sex, but I do see an extremeeeeely healthy plant. Whatever you're doing, you're doing it right :) As for telling if it's male or female, only an educated guess can be made on certain characteristics of a plant. For example, if it looks really thin / stretchy / spindley.. it's most likely going to be a male. This isn't always true at ALL, hence the guess. But that's usually the way it's "guessed" is by the general structure of the plant. Once you start seeing enough of them, you start catching on to all these little characteristics.

I would guess fem from the pics, but it's truly a guess hah!

You can really see in the one pic the knot where I did some hard stress training on my plant. This was several weeks ago. It's much wider and stronger in that spot now. I'm really starting to get the hang of how to train a plant. I feel like once you learned just one or two techniques you start to understand training your plant as a whole. I've really only topped my plants but I've been trying other things here and there.

Yes indeed 7thG :aok:

Personally I always attempt to FIM because you'll still get at least a top if you mess up heh :)

Recently I ran into a dilemma (still in it) of having 13 plants vegging out in one 4x4 space... for another 5-7 weeks :eek: So I'm constantly bending, topping, super cropping, LSTing.. damn near everyday! Trying to buy time / space and it's truly only benefiting the plants end result with all this training.

So, as with you, I'm starting to get the hang of this whole "snap,bend,tie" thing :) Feel free to check out my "Journey through space and time" thread (in sig) and check recent pic update last night :)

Cheers 7thG and the best of luck during sex identification!

Dr. Green Fang said:
Once you start seeing enough of them, you start catching on to all these little characteristics.

I would guess fem from the pics, but it's truly a guess hah!

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I haven't grown enough to really be able to pick up on these things. My other plant is extremely short and bushy so I'm hoping that's a hint that she's a female. This plant I'm not sure. Super vigorous and healthy but hard to tell. I'm really hoping this one is a female because even though its not as compact as my other one I feel like this one could really produce some nice buds! Thank you by the way I am really happy with how my plants are looking. I keep a close eye on them and I think Northern Lights was a good choice for me and my level of experience. They don't seem picky, just give them the essentials and they will be happy. I just hope everything continues to run smooth through flower.

Yeah NL is supposed to be "the" beginner strain. I started my experience with Pineapple Chunk. Would never grow it again, but was still a decent strain.

Dr. Green Fang said:
Yes indeed 7thG :aok:

Personally I always attempt to FIM because you'll still get at least a top if you mess up heh :)

Recently I ran into a dilemma (still in it) of having 13 plants vegging out in one 4x4 space... for another 5-7 weeks :eek: So I'm constantly bending, topping, super cropping, LSTing.. damn near everyday! Trying to buy time / space and it's truly only benefiting the plants end result with all this training.

So, as with you, I'm starting to get the hang of this whole "snap,bend,tie" thing :) Feel free to check out my "Journey through space and time" thread (in sig) and check recent pic update last night :)

Cheers 7thG and the best of luck during sex identification!

That's good to know I think I will do a little more reading on FIM'ing. I wasn't sure what the pros and cons were of topping vs fim.

FIM became because of a "missed top" (FIM = Funk I missed) *Not funk ;) *

I try to get 80% or so (no less) off when I clip. If I miss my FIM (Would that be "Funk I Missed my Miss") then I get a topping and that's all good. But I've been successful with a few FIM's and that's good. FIM = chance for 4 tops / TOP = 2 tops.

Yeah I dont see sex yet...do you have a eye glass?..jewlers loupe?....I use an old projector lens to scope the nodes...your plants are right there..:aok:..I bet they have the sign somewhere in there

work on the Fimming..You will get the tech down...:D

Fimming_v_topping.jpg

I'm trying to understand this topping and fimming thing. Ive never done either. I always grow from seed and don't do any trimming or anything. I always get huge crowns at the tops of my plants. That's a good think right? What's the benefits of the both? Does one stop the plants feom growing so tall and bush out instead? Does either require u to bend if u top or fim?

It's just a method to keep your plant shorter and bushier and also to increase the amount of tops the plant has which will increase the amount of buds. If you let your plant go naturally it will usually grow tall and slim and produce only one main cola. Which is cool if you like really big buds, but the more buds the better, usually. When your plant is young you can top it which cause your main stem to branch out into two main stems. I think with Fimming you get four. And you just keep doing this until you are satisfied. This will increase the bud sites and overall your plant will be able to produce more bud. Emphasize on able, not guaranteed.

Latest posts

Back