Drip system in soil?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazy Horse

Reaction score
Does anyone use a drip system in soil? Seen it on Urban Grower and it is also in the Grow Bible. Not really for a small grow I don't think, more on a larger scale. Isn't it bad to have your soil wet all the time?

drip system usually only drip. it shouldn't drench your soil. i'm also sure its supposed to be on a timer of some sort. cause after all you don't want to drown your plants. surely someone can answer in more detail on the number times a day it turns on and for how long

As you know im not a pro but i know that your soil needs to dry at some point for the roots to extend in search of water. Hope this helps :)

i soak my girls one time a week, and i water them very well... then i let them dry for roughly a week, give or take a day.

i put them in the sink one by one, then i flood it slowly with room temp water, then i drain them in the bathtub for a few hours...

dont drip... fungus flies.

I know it can be done. Need some info from someone who has done it, or knows someone that has done it. Thanks for the replies anyways. CH

Cole said:
As you know im not a pro but i know that your soil needs to dry at some point for the roots to extend in search of water. Hope this helps :)

:yeahthat:

^^^ yes.

soil cant be wet ALL the time or root rot will occur... the drip system is on a timer.

It like ur veggie garden outside and over watering can harm the garden right ? It the same with weed and I am learnning as I grow..

Just build a hydro system.... Why try and complicate things. If your going to have the pumps and the driper's and the neuts than just go ahead and buy some rock-wool and hydroton and you got a drip hydro unit....

I've done hydro (aeroponics), and it's not my bag. Too much babysitting for my likings. I'm thinking on a larger scale grow, less moving pots around and watering (I know it sounds lazy, but what do u do). I like growing in dirt, and I like the taste better too. I seen it on Urban Grower volume 24.

I seen a grow journal on Overgrow a while back that sounds pretty similar to what you have in mind. He basically set up his own outdoor hydro. They were huge hand built containers that he built. They held like 50-60 gallons of soil. He had a lot of perlite in his soil mix though...like 50-60% perlite. He also had lines running along the ground to a large resivoir that he would turn on periodically. I dont remember all the details of the nutes he fed and all of that stuff. I wish OG were still around so I could get you a link to the grow journal cause he grew some massive trees. Wish I knew more about it my friend. It sounds like it could be a fantastic way to grow it. Good luck and take care. Be safe.

Latest posts

Back