Drying outside?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

primageon

Reaction score
i googled this topic and they all mentioned how the sun can kill THC (or convert it to something else that is less potent).

i'm also worried about things like rain/fungus.

i was thinking of getting some bins with lids and just putting holes in the sides to let air in/out, and maybe putting something ontop for the rain to fall on (to prevent water from getting in through the holes).

could something like that work? or is there a better way of dring out doors? I heard a drying method involving cardboard in a bucket that absorbs the water. thinking of a mixture of things right now

OK, this is a very important stage of growing, outdoors is not a good idea unless in a shed with no sun. THC is converted to CBD( i believe) in direct light and this makes for headache dope, not good obviously.

so, a closet, or shed will do nicely. keep air moving inside but not so much to move plants heavily. when they feel dry to the touch place them gently in paper bags and let sit overnight, when you check on them the next morning, they will be moist again, hang em' back up. continue this peocess untill the buds are dry, but not crackling nad breaking when you touch, all this should take anywhere from 5-10 days depending on dankness of said bud.

Not done yet. Next is the curing proccess, this is done using glass jars that are very clean with air tight seals. place the buds inside and open the jars 2-3 times daily for a few minutes to allow buds to breath, this is where the flavor and aromatic properties come out. Do this for a few weeks (two) and then just open the jars once a day, after a month, they can hit the bags and are ready to go. otherwise you end up with amonia smell(vegitative matter breaking down due to not being dry enough) hay(dried to quickly and not allowed to cure) and cat piss smell ( you just don't want this) and there you have it.

This more than likely needs to be in another forum on here, i just didn't want this grower messing up with a harvest that so much time went into

peace and good harvest
~T-Bone

You should definately dry indoors. One, it's alot easier to keep an eye on, and two, because they can dry slower not in the summer heat.

If you can't dry indoors your bin idea should work just make sure it is placed in a dark dry spot. Place a window screen over the holes so little critters and bugs cant get in;)

awesome, thanks for a lot for explaining it t-bone.

and yeah i was planning on putting screens over the holes with the bin idea jnasty.

I don't think i'll have anywhere to dry these in which is why i'm desperate.

if the bins are painted and covered with something (to block rain also) with lids, I can't see much light hitting the buds and ruining the thc.

but it still might get a little hot in the bins (and thus dry quicker).

ah well if i can't find anyplace to dry before then, i'm gonna have to take my chances.
thanks again guys

You really got to watch for mold, if its raining out or high humidity your going to have problems.

No problem, that is we are all here for. If it is one word that comes to mind here on Ma Pas is the word comaradare (can't spell). someone here can always indentify with what is happening, you actually get to be yourself.

So, is there a shed available? if not then the above mentioed conditions are very concerning, I.E. circulation of air, bud rot, mold, critters, and humidity. these are all things that account for poor MJ. you appear smart and resilient, so i'm sure you will be fine. and remember any wuestion you have, someone here has a great answer.
~T-Bone

Latest posts

Back