earthworms in the soil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricktxv

Reaction score
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Almost all scientists, agricultural experts, soil culturists, and horticulturists agree on the importance of the earthworm in the soil for maximum plant growth, production and soil conservation.[/FONT]

is this true for mg indoor growing?​

SO If I put 1 earthworm in my little container then they will help it do better? Interesting......................................................... Bump for this topic.

yes earthworms are good for any garden. they eat dirt which allows air to move around the roots and they help break the dirt down to fertilizer for the plants. also you need more than one worm for the soil as they don't move around all that much.

Also don't use a synthetic fertilizer on them as that may kill them:)

Is it a noticable difference from non worm plants though.

They dont ever eat the roots do they?

Well my grandfather always used to raise earth and meal worms in is compost/garden...He grew some of the biggest damn tomato Ive ever seen.

but use rock pellets in the bottom of your container or the worms will crab to to the top of the pot and escape

ricktxv said:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Almost all scientists, agricultural experts, soil culturists, and horticulturists agree on the importance of the earthworm in the soil for maximum plant growth, production and soil conservation.[/FONT]

is this true for mg indoor growing?​

For the indoor garden

I would think no

Using Perlite and Vermiculite in your compost mix will help keep your mix aerated.

In the garden

Yes Yes Yes

ARE EARTHWORMS IMPORTANT?

Certainly what earthworms do isn't simple in ecological terms. The great naturalist Charles Darwin, after making a careful study of them, wrote this:
"...it may be doubted if there are any other animals which have played such an important part in the history of the world as these lowly organized creatures."
"History of the world," he said!
One important thing that earthworms do is to plow the soil by tunneling through it. Their tunnels provide the soil with passageways through which air and water can circulate, and that's important because soil microorganisms and plant roots need air and water just like we do. Without some kind of plowing, soil becomes compacted, air and water can't circulate in it, and plant roots can't penetrate it.
One study showed that each year on an acre (0.4 hectare) of average cultivated land, 16,000 pounds (7200 kg) of soil pass through earthworm guts and are deposited atop the soil -- 30,000 pounds (13,500 kg) in really wormy soil! Charles Darwin himself calculated that if all the worm excreta resulting from ten years of worm work on one acre of soil were spread over that acre, it would be two inches thick (5.08 cm).
This is something we should appreciate because earthworm droppings -- called castings when deposited atop the ground -- are rich in nitrogen, calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus, and these are all important nutrients for healthy, prospering ecosystems. In your own backyard you might be able to confirm that grass around earthworm burrows grows taller and greener than grass just inches away.

worm.jpg

I have planted my first MJ, there are some earthworms in the vase because I got the soil in a friend's farm and I didn't take out the worms... so I think they will help me !!!
Maybe the worms can get High in my vase... :)
Bye Brothers !

Latest posts

Back