Ez cloner trouble

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Budmcdablin

Reaction score
Hello, I have been using a Ez cloner for around 45 weeks and now have been experiencing troubles with clones rooting.

(45 weeks ago) Date: Dec 2017 - I first was using a 32 site cloner with Clonex solution and a easy boy filter, At the current time I am unsure on what my current PPM was during that time. I had a very good success rate.

fast forward to present day

All clones have been cut at 45* angle and are coming from healthy moms
They are in a 4x4 tent under 24/7 2 bulb t5 light, Temp is reading 75 degrees, humidity reading 65%

I have replaced the ez cloner with a brand new 64 site and now using a RO filter. The reason for replacement as the old 32 was washed and soaked in bleach (assuming that was the cause of my failures). I'm still currently having issues. For this batch of clones, I Ph'd the water to 6.2, with 250 PPM of clonex solution and Hormone rooting gel which was applied before being in the cloner. Just under two weeks of it sitting, I have some signs of root growth but also seeing a good percentage die.

During this time of the clones sitting in this batch, The water was not checked to see what the current PH has been. When checked PH was reading 6.4, PPM remained constant.

I remade a batch of fresh clonex solution, raising the PPM levels to 310 (70ml of clonex solution in a 5 gallon) setting the PH to 6.1-6.2. Ph was on the cusp 6.2.

If anyone can provide me with information on what is being done wrong, or care to share your method of cloning it was be greatly appreciated

I have not used an EZ Cloner type set up in quite a while but when I did I never used water with any nutrients in it, just plain water. Once you start feeding you open up the whole PH problem thing. If your PH is out of range your clones will suffer. I find it easier to just use water and then there is no need to worry about PH. I feed them after they get roots and are transplanted to soil. Then I make sure their feed is properly PH'd. Maybe try just water? Hope that helps.

I have not used an EZ Cloner type set up in quite a while but when I did I never used water with any nutrients in it, just plain water. Once you start feeding you open up the whole PH problem thing. If your PH is out of range your clones will suffer. I find it easier to just use water and then there is no need to worry about PH. I feed them after they get roots and are transplanted to soil. Then I make sure their feed is properly PH'd. Maybe try just water? Hope that helps.

What is your starting water PH without neuts that you remember using?

Hey Bud --Welcome to MP !-- I run Aero under LEDS-- Stick a thermometer into your nute water !-- If my nute water hits 80 degrees I get "White Slime" -- Which is a clear slime but by the time U see it it's too late !-- How do U control your pump -- 24/7 ?-- Pump can heat up your water !-- Here's a pic of my system -- I clone in them and grow in them !-- 396 gallon per hour filtered pump -- run it 15 on / 15 off !-- More water U working with the less the pump affects temp !--
20180913_121239.jpg

Hey Bud --Welcome to MP !-- I run Aero under LEDS-- Stick a thermometer into your nute water !-- If my nute water hits 80 degrees I get "White Slime" -- Which is a clear slime but by the time U see it it's too late !-- How do U control your pump -- 24/7 ?-- Pump can heat up your water !-- Here's a pic of my system -- I clone in them and grow in them !-- 396 gallon per hour filtered pump -- run it 15 on / 15 off !-- More water U working with the less the pump affects temp !-- View attachment 250690

At the moment the lights and the pump are on 24/7. The pump could be my issue. I will make sure to throw it on a timer.

What is your water PPM and PH set too? Any suggestions on that?

I clone in the same nute water I grow in !-- No Clonex or anything!-- Just take cuttings and put them in a cup and collar then stick them I need an empty grow hole !
20160707_091835.jpg

Cuz I don't even use my ppm pen anymore !-- I start with RO water --- U got the pH range but don't chase it !-- Set it up and adjust pH then let it run 24 hours to stabilize -- Then recheck !-- If U don't use EM1 U should !-- About 5 mils per gallon !-- I run a live res and started a healthy beneficial microbe colony with stuff called Voodoo Juice but any hood Hydro tea with work -- U can make it you self !-- Flood the zone with beneficial microbes so bad ones can't get started !-- I was running a whole 2 month cycle without Changing my nute water !-- Just topping off with RO water !--I don't recommend it !-- Every 2 weeks or a least once a month!-- Keeps stuff from building up in your nute water !-- The plant takes more water thru the roots than nutes so as time goes on your nute solution will get more concentrated !

Cuz I don't even use my ppm pen anymore !-- I start with RO water --- U got the pH range but don't chase it !-- Set it up and adjust pH then let it run 24 hours to stabilize -- Then recheck !-- If U don't use EM1 U should !-- About 5 mils per gallon !-- I run a live res and started a healthy beneficial microbe colony with stuff called Voodoo Juice but any hood Hydro tea with work -- U can make it you self !-- Flood the zone with beneficial microbes so bad ones can't get started !-- I was running a whole 2 month cycle without Changing my nute water !-- Just topping off with RO water !--I don't recommend it !-- Every 2 weeks or a least once a month!-- Keeps stuff from building up in your nute water !-- The plant takes more water thru the roots than nutes so as time goes on your nute solution will get more concentrated !

I got the pump on 15/15 now and my temps were very close to 80, around 75-80 is what i was seeing from these past hours. On top I changed out the water to just be clean RO water and keeping the ph range around the suggested area. In a few days ill take a new round to attempt this from the very start. I really appreciate the responses and will keep the post updated when and if problems occur. But Hopefully it'll be a positive response

One more thing !-- They'll root !-They'll root in tap water !---If U grow in RO water is about the only time U would use Cal/Mag !-- I get about 6 ppms from RO water --per gallon of RO water I use 3 mils of Botonacare's nute concentrate!-- 5 mils of EM1 -- 5 mils of Cal/Mag -- A scoop of MYCOS and a beneficial microbe inoculate like Voodoo Juice !-- Then pH !
I guess if U putting them in a grow medium U don't even need to know all that stuff ?

I m still old school start my clones in small rockwool blocks hand water for first week with spray bottle in a clone shelter on a heater mat with tap water , then into bigger cubes and flood and drain twice a day with grow solution with EC of 1.2 , I've never had a problem with clones dying and had 100% success rate , I had a problem with leaves yellowing when I changed my light to fluro but changed then to twin t55 and now all good , I did find early that cutting with a razor blade rather than scissors makes a big difference as well , cut at 45 just under a node dip in clonex or honey and bobs your uncle

Last edited:
Hello, I have been using a Ez cloner for around 45 weeks and now have been experiencing troubles with clones rooting.

(45 weeks ago) Date: Dec 2017 - I first was using a 32 site cloner with Clonex solution and a easy boy filter, At the current time I am unsure on what my current PPM was during that time. I had a very good success rate.

fast forward to present day

All clones have been cut at 45* angle and are coming from healthy moms
They are in a 4x4 tent under 24/7 2 bulb t5 light, Temp is reading 75 degrees, humidity reading 65%

I have replaced the ez cloner with a brand new 64 site and now using a RO filter. The reason for replacement as the old 32 was washed and soaked in bleach (assuming that was the cause of my failures). I'm still currently having issues. For this batch of clones, I Ph'd the water to 6.2, with 250 PPM of clonex solution and Hormone rooting gel which was applied before being in the cloner. Just under two weeks of it sitting, I have some signs of root growth but also seeing a good percentage die.

During this time of the clones sitting in this batch, The water was not checked to see what the current PH has been. When checked PH was reading 6.4, PPM remained constant.

I remade a batch of fresh clonex solution, raising the PPM levels to 310 (70ml of clonex solution in a 5 gallon) setting the PH to 6.1-6.2. Ph was on the cusp 6.2.

If anyone can provide me with information on what is being done wrong, or care to share your method of cloning it was be greatly appreciated
Hey what's up Budmcdablin ? Sorry to here you are having a little problem. I have been using the EZ cloners for about 5 years with great results. This is the easiest and fastest way I have ever cloned. I'm going to run through how I take my clones. And I hope this will help you out. Of coarse I get everything set up ( the inserts & gel next to the cloner ). Then I start taking my clones. Oh also I cut the top off a water bottle & fill about half way with water. I cut 6 clones at a time and put them right into the bottle of water. I have found that this keeps them from any wilting . Now for the cloner set up. Fill with plain water above the pump and turn on. I take a clone out of the bottle cut the bottom at 45% dip into the gel ( for the last 2 years I have stopped using the gel. and I get the same results ) and install into the cloner. Having your cloner running when you install all your clones will stop any wilting. When I first started using the EZ cloner I was not using the cut bottle of water and I was not running my cloner when I filled it with clones. The clones would start wilting ( just a little ) and this would produce sub. results ( 80% success rate and it would take 10 to 14 days to root ) once I started using the water bottle and running my cloner when I filled it I get 100 % success in 7 to 10 days to root. You state that you use a filter, there is no need for a filter. You also state that you are running your pump 15/15, I think this is where your problem is. Your pump needs to run all the time. The bottom part of your stem of the clone that is in the inside of the cloner has to stay wet at all times. Then I repeat till cloner is full. Another important issue is keeping the water temp at or below 80. I do not use the clonex solution or gel anymore . I do not PH at all or worry about the ppm's. In regards to your T5s you should keep them 2" to 3" from the top of your clones. I have 8 cloners and take 64 clones a week, with 100% success with roots in 7 to 10 days. I think you might be doing to much. Maybe that's why its called the EZ cloner. GOOD LUCK....................................

HerbWatcher I don't think our paths have crossed --Welcome to MP !-- I run Aero under LEDs -- That's my black box with a yellow lid up there !-- I run my pumps 15/15 from clone to harvest !-- I'm in the south where it stays hot !-- If I run my pumps 24/7 it will heat up my nute water and white slime will kill my cuts !-- I start with about 12 gallons of nute water -- It is enough to obsorb the heat produced by the pump at 15/15 -- I don't do anything special just take the cuts and put them in an aero cup and collar and stick them in an empty hole ! -- I run a 4 part rotation of 60 day finishers !-- Something go to bloom every 2 weeks and something come out -- I always take more cuttings than I need and keep the best and leave the rest !
This one is something I bred !--A Barney's Farm "Nightshade" mom with a Black Berry Snow Lotus dad !
20180223_153238.jpg

HerbWatcher I don't think our paths have crossed --Welcome to MP !-- I run Aero under LEDs -- That's my black box with a yellow lid up there !-- I run my pumps 15/15 from clone to harvest !-- I'm in the south where it stays hot !-- If I run my pumps 24/7 it will heat up my nute water and white slime will kill my cuts !-- I start with about 12 gallons of nute water -- It is enough to obsorb the heat produced by the pump at 15/15 -- I don't do anything special just take the cuts and put them in an aero cup and collar and stick them in an empty hole ! -- I run a 4 part rotation of 60 day finishers !-- Something go to bloom every 2 weeks and something come out -- I always take more cuttings than I need and keep the best and leave the rest !
This one is something I bred !--A Barney's Farm "Nightshade" mom with a Black Berry Snow Lotus dad ! View attachment 250705
Whats up Keef, I've been on this site a few years. I don't post much, I just like to check out the grow journals. I run LPA systems also. I call it AREO. SYSTEMS SEA OF GREEN. Which I use as my name on other sites ( ASS-OG ) it kinda fits me. I only have 1 EZ cloner and I built all my other cloners. And then I built four areo systems which consist of two 24 site areos with one res. So that's eight areos total. I do the same two week rotation. I started with a one week rotation but I couldn't keep up. Cause I do everything myself. In regards to running my pumps. I only run my cloners 24/7 with plain water, nothing else. Once the clones root they go straight to 12/12 NO veg. Once in 12/12 they start getting a nute solution. And take off like crazy. I run with some Advanced nutes with some Raw nutes. For my beneficial microbes I use a Raw product it has like 18 different bennys in it and a little bag last me a little over a year. And I have never had any king of root problem. I live in Cali. so its like hot here 9 months out of the year. In regards to pump times. I have found that with running a LPA system that the droplet size is to big. So the more you run your pump the more your roots get wet. ( no shit, right ). What happens thow is your roots start to get bunched up cause of the weight of the solution. I have cut my pump times down to 10 seconds on and 10 mins. off. And it has helped some. I'm experimenting with foggers right now to get my droplet size down. HPA is to much of a pain and way to much money. Has for my yield its ok but I know I can do better. I'm getting anywhere from 12 to 16 ozs per areo. which is like anywhere from 24 to 32 ozs per system every 2 weeks. I'm going to try to post some pictures. Anyway I'm glad to see there is someone out there to discuss this type of growing with. I will tell you Keef this is the easiest, fastest and the least expensive way to grow. I just can't believe more people don't grow this way. Oh also I change my res. nutes every 2 weeks. If you don't mind I would like to stay in touch. Good luck and take care and stay HIGH....

this info. s/b of help to anyone who purchased a Ez Clone Plant Cloning System (as i have) "instruction manual". the main points are ;- Ez cloner was designed to work best in a temp. controlled room between 65 - 75 degrees F. h2o temp. s/b 68 to 78 degrees F. best results if h2o remains at 72F. ph level between 5.8 - 6.5 with 6.3 being best. works very well with a rooting hormone gel. it s/b applied directly to the cuttings bottom 1 1/2 " - 2" stem prior to it being placed in the system. Ez cloner works best with florescent lites. recommend lite(s) 6 - 8 inches above cuttings. h2o + air pumps on 24/7. do not use distilled h2o. room temp must be controlled. cleanliness is imperative. to clean up after - use bleach (1 cup - 30 unit, 2 cup - 60 unit, 3 cup -120 unit) + hot h2o run thru the system 10 minutes. best done in bathtub. neoprene collars s/b soaked + cleaned in the bleached h2o also. most common sign of bacteria problem is a gray slime forming at the bottom of the cutting.

HerbWatcher -- Ain't many run Aero especially with a live res. - We will have to keep in touch !-- I miss lots of post because I mostly hang out at the Old Farts Club -- I'm an ornery old man and tend to piss the younger ones off !-- It's good to run into another root sprayer !-- I run my pumps 15on /15 off because the cheap timers I use only go that low !-- My black and yellow boxes got a check board pattern on the lid with 5 row of 7 squares !-- I drilled them all with a 2 inch door knob hole saw !-- I'm shut down right now Cuz !-- I'll be relocating and setting back up shortly !-- I plan to keep cloning and vegging the same way !-- I know what U mean about flipping them fast !-- 34 grow spots per box ? ( one I use for pump cord )-- -- It's made for a sea of green !-- I'm thinking of doing bloom a little different !-- Instead of a drip and drain table- I think I'll use a spray and drain system !-- I know what U mean about an 8 part rotation !-- Weekly is too much !-- Got to have a mighty veg to keep up !-- I'm down with a 4 part rotation with something going to bloom every 2 weeks !-- I had a lop sided system bloom was bigger than veg. --It couldn't keep up !-- U live and learn !- For awhile there were lots of fine genetics passing thru my hands so I took the opportunity to do some breeding !-- When U got a box full of assorted girls and dust them with some pollen it takes awhile to sort it all out !-- I'm kinda Snow Lotus heavy and I like it !-- Got a mess of hybrids to sort out too !-- I been keeping plants small because they'll get top heavy and fall over - The variety is nice !-- Now I'm caught up in the terp search !-- Blueberry with a chocolate dad !-- I got seed but don't know what to expect !

i put my 60 site cloner in the basement, sitting on top the stand up freezer. with 10 - 3 foot florescent lites placed a foot above the cloner. with cloner running, cuttings taken on a 45 degree angle + i would scrape both sides of the cutting before using a gel. the air + h2o pumps + lites, fans, spraybar, everything - all run 24/7. plain h2o, which must cover the pump at all times, changed every 3 - 5 days (more clones quicker h2o change ). 7 - 10 days roots showing. 12 - 16 days roots massive - ready to go. once i put 7 cuttings into each + every puck. they all grew.

I only run LEDs !-- I don't do anything special!-- I take cuts stick them in aero baskets with neopreme collars and drop them in an empty hole in one my boxes !- They all got nute water in them so no special nothing!-- They root !-- Then I flip them small !-- Lots of variety or a bunch of one !-- Texas don't approve of our kind !-- I'm hoping that is about to change !-- I have the capacity to fill a warehouse with my Indicas!-- I had a Black Berry Snow Lotus male fall into my lap and before I could kill him several told me The BBSL male " Bring the fire "-- I took a chance and turned him loose on about a dozen different girls !-- They told me true about that BBSL male !-- He did me right !

I ran a White Widow girl for 4 and a half years cloning from clones !-- Now it's mostly stuff I bred but they all descended from stuff shared on the OFC !--

So when U run across something like this what U gonna do ?-- GG#4 with an anomaly !
20160525_202246.jpg

Thanks for your post, this will give me some experience

Latest posts

Back