Facts About Smoking And Addiction

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colemancol

Reaction score
Facts About Smoking And Addiction

* Smoking-related illnesses cause about 440,000 deaths each year in the U.S.

* Smoking is responsible for 87 percent of lung cancers and also causes most cases of emphysema An enlargement and destruction of the tiny air sacs in the lungs known as alveoli. and chronic bronchitis An inflammation of airways in the lungs known as bronchi, usually caused by an infection or by smoking..

* Tobacco use, especially smoking, is the number one cause of preventable disease and death in the U.S.

* Cigarettes contain at least 43 distinct cancer-causing chemicals.

* Nicotine is as highly addictive as heroin and cocaine.

* Approximately 80 percent of adult smokers started smoking before age 18.

* Most people try to quit smoking several times before they're successful. Only 2.5 percent of smokers successfully quit each year.

* The benefits of quitting smoking begin to occur within 20 minutes of the last cigarette smoked.

* A person who stops smoking will have the same risk of heart disease and death 15 years after quitting as someone who has never smoked.

* Secondhand smoke is known to cause cancer and is responsible for approximately 3,000 lung cancer deaths in nonsmokers each year.

....and this has "what" to do with our marijuana forum??..
While mj smoke does contain some carcinogens, nothing is being added to increase addiction, nor are we ingesting 20-40 joints per day as with the cigarette addiction.

I wish I could do 20 js a day. Wow. I was only doing maybe 7 if I added them all up. I usually used a bubbler though, or glass piece.

I do smoke cigarettes though, and go through about a pack a day give or take a few. If I could, I would smoke the green instead, and completely ditch the cigarettes.

The thing I find kind of odd, is that here in the U.S., there is a big economic crisis...but the answer is staring the government right in the face. Instead, they increase taxes on tobacco and expect everyone to continue to pay outrageous prices for a pack of cigarettes. What on earth would they do if everyone stopped smoking cigs all of the sudden (like they CLAIM they want us to do). They even make it so you can't smoke within 20 feet of a building in some states.

What happened to freedom? We lost it when we gave government more power than it should have.

i also smoke cigarettes. about a pack a day or so as well. was actually thinking about quiting.

have you experienced the new Fire Safe Cigarettes? if you dont puff on them for a minute they go out. On the pack it actually says FSC somewhere. I think it's crap. Part of the reason i'm thinking about quitting....

i also agree that the US Government is too big. It was originally designed because they felt they were being oppressed by England's Government. Now it's doing the same thing that the brits were doing.

i'm a constitutionalist. if the US Gov't went back to following the constitution all would be well. I believe that people should do whatever they want as long as it doesnt infringe on other people's rights.

There are no reports of lung cancer due to MJ. MJ puts more resin on your lungs opposed to cigs because people smoke MJ without a filter. A fact is nicotine can stay on the lungs forever where resin will eventually wear off.

Yea, this is a pot forum...last I heard is that homegrown has fewer carcinogens then cigs do....I dont know if thats true or not...anyone know?

I was at a sports bar just tonight and saw cigs in the machine were $8 a pack!!! Wow!!! 12 yrs ago I was a 2 pk a day smoker and they were like $3 a pack. Glad I quit when I did...:p

I quit a pack a day habbit about 3 years ago. It was VERY hard to stop, much more so than marijuana. I tried patches and gum but found that they just prolonged the suffering. Quitting cold turkey worked best for me. Smoking more weed helped too:D

im on day 20 of no cigs and i feel great, smoked for 35 years and yes it was the fsc junk that did it for me, they tasted terrible with that on it so i just quit:)

My new year res is going to be stopping smoking cigs.

I'm biting my nails just thinking about it :rofl:

:peace:

Yeah these fire proof deals suck!!! I hate haveing to re-lite my cig evertime I set it down!...and they taste like crap....I need to quit to! 6 bucks a pack, and since I've been laid-off I'm smoking way more than normal, sometimes 2 packs a day....chronic cough...I remember when I used to buy them for 85 cents a pack....dang I need to quit!

me too LF.. we need a support group!! bwahaaaaa! ;)

the mrs and i both smoke ciggs. i've been rollin my own for 4 yrs now. mrs $$ got us one of those machines at the tobacco shop, i can make 3 cartons of filter tip 100s, for $50. this isn't an aid to quittin, just less expensive. $$

Latest posts

Back