fan-controller-thermostate (all in one)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I EAT WEED

Reaction score
I'm searching for a fan right now, and I have my eye set on an Elicent 4" Fan - 152 CFM. I'm going to use this at the top of my enclosure for the exhaust, vented into a carbon filter.

Now, noise is a huge factor for me. I have heard great things about how quiet this particular fan is...and being only 4" I feel good, but still nervous about how loud it may be.

What is the easiest way to use a thermostat controlling when the fan comes on and off, and at the same time, using a speed controller to control fan speed?

I'm building a board to go on the wall behind the enclosure which will hold the power strip, timer, thermostat and fan plugs. (I'll be using a thermostat control that uses a probe so I can leave the electronics on the outside). Would it be easier to hardwire a controller for the fan, or can I plug the fan into a plug-in type controller, and then plug the controller into the thermostat?

...on a side note, if I were to use carbon scrubbers in this set-up. Would it be overkill to have one inside the box and one outside the box? So the fan would be sucking and pushing through carbon?

I still haven't found a preferred method of using the carbon...pushing or pulling. It seems to be 50/50

Look up R&M Supply on google. They will have everything you need.

Yes, it'd be overkill to use two carbon filters.

Also, it's more efficient to have the air pulled through the filter .

If your filter does not eliminate 100% of the smell in the air, the one time it passes through the filter, you need a new filter.

A controller like the "router speed controller" (or "the speedster"), it has a female plug (for your fan), and a male plug (for the wall, or your thermostat) .

Don't buy the cheapo ones from the home improvement stores, they'll make the fan buzz, which ends up being louder than the fan noise.

If you're concerned about noise, a fan controller is definitely the way to go. Just remember that you will lose CFM.

:smoke1:

so if that is the case...i would dangle the carbon filter inside the box, and just have a plain chimney stack type deal coming out the top of the box.

it just makes me nervous doing it that way for some reason, but it really shouldn't :D

given the size of the box, 2.5x2.5x7 or so...what would the quietest situation be? if i use the speed controller, should I go with a higher cfm fan or a larger diameter fan? I have heard so much about fan controllers making the fan louder, even with quality controllers.

I have heard so much about fan controllers making the fan louder, even with quality controllers.
Just make sure to avoid the "buzz", that's what the problem-noise is. Otherwise, the fan noise is dramatically decreased. Remember that "quality" does not mean "more expensive". This is the only one I vouch for: hxxp://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=43060

I would get the biggest fan you can afford (assuming your lights are decked out).

so if that is the case...i would dangle the carbon filter inside the box, and just have a plain chimney stack type deal coming out the top of the box.
I set my carbon filter on a thick piece of styrofoam on the floor (stops any floor vibration), with the fan right above it, pushing air through the duct.

Sorry, no pics.

What are you having a hard time visualizing?

Do you push or pull air through the filter?

I always thought it made more sense to have the fan up high, since hot air rises.

Pull air through the filter, it's more efficient.

I always thought it made more sense to have the fan up high
It does, but this isn't a huge grow. I would just have a tower fan stir the air in the room. It won't make that big of a difference.

Actually the thought that smaller fans are quiter is wrong. The bigger the quiter. Its all based on cfms though. So a larger fan can be louder but it will be much quiter per c.f.m... if that helps.. if not sorry.... I would suggest a 6 inch. As I've heard others say on the site "Its used industrially for a reason"

Hmm...now you have me thinking. It is a small area, and a small grow with only a 250HPS...so I'm thinking something like this 4" elicent is going to be pretty powerful, and I still would have to assume a 4" inline will be quieter than a 6" inline, since the 6" isn't offered in a low cfm like the 4"

Latest posts

Back